If facing death otherwise, would you eat human meat?
I would eat human meat given the right circumstances
79.1% (91)
79.1% (91)
I would not eat human meat on ethical grounds
8.7% (10)
8.7% (10)
I would not eat human meat because I am a picky negative nancy even if it means my death
11.3% (13)
11.3% (13)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: I will eat other people

Pages 1 2 NEXT

... in a hypothetical situation where I'd have to in order to survive and corpses were already present on account of the dire circumstances I was facing.

Hi I'm Soviet Steve and I'm not a liberal. We're not here to talk about that today however, instead I want to see if I'm the odd one out on this board with this question.

Long version of my question would read something like this:

If you were in a situation like a plane crash in the mountains or something: You're waiting for rescue, there are corpses around, they're edible. Food supplies didn't survive the crash and people are dying of starvation. Would you be picky about what you will eat?

Other thoughts I made is that some people have ethical considerations on things like these that I don't really see myself. To me a corpse is just some nutrients that someone has sentimental value attached to. Likewise if I kicked it and people were in this situation I wouldn't really care much if I was eaten since it's just meat at that point. I wouldn't kill someone to eat them however since murder is bad, and more importantly you might get a warning for discussing criminal activity on this board.

I've put it on R&P since I imagine the religious arguments would weigh pretty heavily in making it an immoral act.

Captcha: Sausages

In this hypothetical human eating situation, will ketchup or mustard be available?

captcha: box of chocolates

People get desperate when they get hungry and it should be left at that. It's a bit like the killing thread. You may or may not do it in special circumstances, but until then saying that you will do it makes you a pretty creepy person.

THE LAW OF THE SEA DEMANDS IT!

Er... Ahem...

As I have noted before on numerous occasions on this board, yes, I am totally comfortable with cannibalism if such methods are necessary to survive. Such circumstances involve immanent death or only McDonald's being within walking distance.

Probably not, I would go around and look for edible plant life and water. How long are you trapped? Also, what is the environment like?

Soviet Steve:

I've put it on R&P since I imagine the religious arguments would weigh pretty heavily in making it an immoral act.

Captcha: Sausages

I would, if I had to, but I'd make sure to keep something of theirs. And I will make the effort to contact their family and give them that souvenir.

If that's definitely all there is to eat, and the other dude is already dead, sure. Fuck dying.

Yes I would, I don't think it would take me that long to turn to cannibalism.

Also a bit off-topic, but how would everyone feel about eating human meat grown from cell culture by a willing donor? A bit like the artificial hamburger that was in the news recently. It just reminds me of a story by Iain Banks where aliens create a banquet of General Pinochet chilli conne carne & Richard Nixon burgers.

Depends on the situation. In principle yes, in practice it'll be gross as hell and I'd be very reluctant to do so - especially if I knew the person beforehand.

But now to the fun part!

*ahem*

Controversial opinion time!

Why restrict the poll to the "right circumstances" or if "facing death" - shouldn't there also be a possibility for people to option their body or parts of their body for public consumption? Families can bemoan other personal possessions as well - they don't need a body. And if we are talking technicalities how about setting up a statewide scheme to deal with the bodies. That could allow for general guidelines and proper treatment to turn the body into the usual processed form of meat we are used to thus making people far less grossed out and far more likely to eat it anyway. This might save energy or waste and even might save the lives of a few animals that would otherwise have to die to fill in the share of meat consumption.

Or in other words: I'm rather uncertain that the fundamental opposition to cannibalism isn't just based on cultural norms and "Eww! It's gross!"

Chromatic Aberration:

Why restrict the poll to the "right circumstances" or if "facing death" - shouldn't there also be a possibility for people to option their body or parts of their body for public consumption? Families can bemoan other personal possessions as well - they don't need a body. And if we are talking technicalities how about setting up a statewide scheme to deal with the bodies. That could allow for general guidelines and proper treatment to turn the body into the usual processed form of meat we are used to thus making people far less grossed out and far more likely to eat it anyway. This might save energy or waste and even might save the lives of a few animals that would otherwise have to die to fill in the share of meat consumption.

Or in other words: I'm rather uncertain that the fundamental opposition to cannibalism isn't just based on cultural norms and "Eww! It's gross!"

Wouldn't cannibalism lead to lots of health problems similar to mad cow disease? Also, it would cause a lot of damage to any kind of social activity. I sure wouldn't trust anyone.

Glongpre:
Wouldn't cannibalism lead to lots of health problems similar to mad cow disease?

I don't think so. With all the medical testing already done for various diseases in animals (especially note those tests for BSE following the case you mentioned) I'm not too sure of that - especially since investigation of the cause of death of a person would be independent of all this and would be done in the same way as today such that people with infectious diseases would be barred from this option a priori.

Also, it would cause a lot of damage to any kind of social activity.

Perhaps. But I really have a lot of trust in the ability of people to compartementalize. What people would eat wouldn't be a person, or the body of a person but...

nyysjan:
In this hypothetical human eating situation, will ketchup or mustard be available?

I like to think people would eat the ketchup or mustard before they started on their friends.

--

Frission:
People get desperate when they get hungry and it should be left at that. It's a bit like the killing thread. You may or may not do it in special circumstances, but until then saying that you will do it makes you a pretty creepy person.

Why is that? What's creepy about saying you would eat anything to survive? Are we not all rational secularists here?

--

The Gentleman:
THE LAW OF THE SEA DEMANDS IT!

Er... Ahem...

As I have noted before on numerous occasions on this board, yes, I am totally comfortable with cannibalism if such methods are necessary to survive. Such circumstances involve immanent death or only McDonald's being within walking distance.

I'd never heard about the law of the sea before. Seems a bit rash to not wait until the first death at least. I'm not the biggest cheerleader for McDonalds but I'd be willing to eat it for a while before I started turning to corpses.

--

Glongpre:
Probably not, I would go around and look for edible plant life and water. How long are you trapped? Also, what is the environment like?

Well the scenario is really just set up to spark a discussion on whether or not you would eat a human cadaver if you were forced to. It's not a challenge, just an ethical discussion.

--

Danny Ocean:

I would, if I had to, but I'd make sure to keep something of theirs. And I will make the effort to contact their family and give them that souvenir.

I'd be cautious about how I go about handing back "souvenirs". It seems like that would be a time where you would be walking on eggshells.

--

Esotera:
Yes I would, I don't think it would take me that long to turn to cannibalism.

Also a bit off-topic, but how would everyone feel about eating human meat grown from cell culture by a willing donor? A bit like the artificial hamburger that was in the news recently. It just reminds me of a story by Iain Banks where aliens create a banquet of General Pinochet chilli conne carne & Richard Nixon burgers.

Everything gets tastier when you're hungry. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have made it about insects since even I have to admit that those are gross. Humans are t least semi-porkish.

Artificial meat is something I support, and I wouldn't be too picky about where it came from as long as it was safe to consume. That would be one instance in which factory farming of animals could be phased out by market mechanisms if it were economically viable.

--

Chromatic Aberration:
Depends on the situation. In principle yes, in practice it'll be gross as hell and I'd be very reluctant to do so - especially if I knew the person beforehand.

But now to the fun part!

*ahem*

Controversial opinion time!

I remember reading about some medical students that got their old teacher for a dissection cadaver. That must have been quite weird. I think eating someone I knew well would be extremely difficult compared to a stranger. I could go into how it would be difficult to standardize human meat consumption on an industrial scale like we can with the present selection of farm animals but that's probably not what you're looking for. I think most of it is gross factor and cultural norms but if there's a deeper part to it feel free to enlighten us.

I have no idea, I don't really know if I would in that situation or not. People do shit they'd never dream of in the right situation.

Soviet Steve:

Why is that? What's creepy about saying you would eat anything to survive? Are we not all rational secularists here?

I am?

Well the problem could go deeper than just religious reasons. Diseases and other rather undesirable medical problems can arise from cannibalism, so even without anything like religion or society or something of the like to guide us, there is going to be a natural revolt against eating each other.

Also I may a bit lily livered about this, but the thought of the cannibalism actually makes me somewhat ill. You would need to tear apart a corpse firstmost, which is already a pretty gruesome act. Then comes the actual part of preparing the meat and eating and to sum it up, the whole act is completely monstrous.
It's actually interesting in a disturbing sort of way that I have to explain a disgust that has always come naturally to me. The internet is a real basket of experiences isn't it?

EDIT: I've found a way to express my reservations against cannibalism. The first problem is that I have some understanding of what butchering entails. The process itself, separated from cannibalism must be a dehumanizing experience. To think of your fellow human beings as food would entail a shift a perspective that could be maddening.

As for the part on why it's creepy, I'll just say that it's not exactly light dinner conversation is it?

Gotta do what it takes to survive and I don't think eating humans would be that hard compared to the other things humans have had to do like amputation. At least eating a human is painless and possibly delicious.

Killing someone to eat them would be something I would have issue with, but if they're already dead I'll fetch the cutlery.

Captcha: okey-dokey

See? Real easy.

Soviet Steve:
I wouldn't kill someone to eat them however since murder is bad, and more importantly you might get a warning for discussing criminal activity on this board.

I lol'ed. Well played, good sir.

Sure, I'd eat someone. I don't even think religion enters into it for most people, since most religions I'm aware of discard the body after death anyway. It's just meat at that point. Probably wouldn't tell anyone about it, especially the parents, since I imagine that'd garner some looks.

I would only eat if it was produced in America and approved by the FDA. It may sound xenophobic but I don't recognize strange food from other cultures as being "real" food. Like when you see people selling scorpions on sticks in Asia. I need my government to tell me that, yes, this is actually a real food.

I'm pretty ok with it. A dead body is just a dead body. It's not like I killed them in order to eat them. No ketsup please though, I have a tomato allergy.

Dude, I'm a Diabetic. Even if I did eat the Corpses, I would still probably die from either Ketoacidosis or Hypoglycemia (Because Meat doesn't have Carbs).

Plus, I am a picky eater (What a Great Combo), and I could never eat a person, dead or alive. I'd rather starve then eat them.

cthulhuspawn82:
I would only eat if it was produced in America and approved by the FDA. It may sound xenophobic but I don't recognize strange food from other cultures as being "real" food. Like when you see people selling scorpions on sticks in Asia. I need my government to tell me that, yes, this is actually a real food.

I think I've heard something like that from a comedy show, or an article on the onion.

This thread has gone fully monthy python on us. This has to be referencing a sketch. I'm not sure if we're joking or not anymore. Can anyone link a sketch about cannibalism? I'm sure there was one.

If we're in the joking stage, I would like to point out that human bodies are very fatty.

Frission:

cthulhuspawn82:

I think I've heard something like that from a comedy show, or an article on the onion.

This thread has gone fully monthy python on us. This has to be referencing a sketch. I'm not sure if we're joking or not anymore. Can anyone link a sketch about cannibalism? I'm sure there was one.

If we're in the joking stage, I would like to point out that human bodies are very fatty.

I wasn't totally joking, my mind just has a natural tendency to groups things into categories, food and not food. Things like cockroaches and human flesh seem to fall into the "not food" category.

Its is sorta funny, the way it works. My though process is that the stuff we eat in America is food because scientists did research on it in a lab as said, "Yep, this is food", whereas the weird stuff in an Asian market is just stiff people picked up off the ground, and it hasn't sent been "scientifically verified"

Hard to say.
It's good that you limit it only to corpses, to people who are already dead, because I wouldn't want to kill people for food.
I suppose I might eat it under the right circumstances... but you can live for weeks without food if necessary, so by the time my hunger would force me to, the corpses would already be in some more advanced stage of decomposition. May not want to eat it for health concerns alone already.
The real issue would be water. That's what we'd desperately need to survive.
I also doubt I'd want to just stick around and wait for rescue or death. Us survivors should try to get to some other people who can lead us to civilization.

straight up no for me. id rather take my chance walking out than resort to that

Yes I would. When it comes down to it, dead people have no need for their flesh and bone anymore. Why let that delicious biomass go to waste?

If I am starving and stuck in the alps? Sure. Heck, I'd even try it for the lulz if someone gave it willingly to me from their own body.

Soviet Steve:

nyysjan:

I like to think people would eat the ketchup or mustard before they started on their friends.

--

You did not say the corpses in question were supposed to be previously known to me.
And if they were my friends, i'm sure they would want me to live, and not taste horrible while being eaten.
So eat away i guess. :p

Frission:

Soviet Steve:

I am?

Well the problem could go deeper than just religious reasons. Diseases and other rather undesirable medical problems can arise from cannibalism, so even without anything like religion or society or something of the like to guide us, there is going to be a natural revolt against eating each other.

Medical problems worse then death by starvation?

Sure.

Yeah I would, honestly I would probably eat it now if it was prepared right such as frying it like chicken......mmmmmm human...... But yeah I'd eat it in the situation as long as I would be able to cook it. Raw, never no killing people just those that were disease free and died of "natural" causes.

I've always kind of wondered what human being's taste like. I'm game.

Take it away lynch.

Yeah. Id eat em, for sure, Sure it would be pretty gross at first but im pretty selfish so my survival would have to go over the families of the deceased or whatever.

Think about it logically, if you dont eat em some fucking vulture or some other bastard of nature is going to be feasting on their corpse. Well I KNOW FOR ONE THING IM BETTER THAN A VULTURE (or am i? creeping self doubt), and should therefore get first dibs. Well fuck it even if im just a vulture ive got bigger balls then the other vultures, I shall feed on these corpses first, YOU SHALL WAIT, and shall recieve the crumbs from my table.

Society in a nutshell (economics maybe)

Edit: forgot to vote in the poll

Yeah. I'd eat people. Always been curious to what it would taste like. Not that I plan on hunting people, but if I was offered human meat, I wouldn't say no.

Yes, if it was necessary for my survival, I'd do it. I'd try to put it off for as long as possible first though, as I understand there are some health risks involved with eating human flesh.

Soviet Steve:

Hi I'm Soviet Steve and I'm not a liberal.

Wait, I thought liberals were communists, and your name is "Soviet", so that'd make you a liberal. I'm so confused! *holds head*

Though on a serious note...

I wouldn't kill someone to eat them however since murder is bad, and more importantly you might get a warning for discussing criminal activity on this board.

I would. If it's the difference between life and death, that is.

Mr.Mattress:
Dude, I'm a Diabetic. Even if I did eat the Corpses, I would still probably die from either Ketoacidosis or Hypoglycemia (Because Meat doesn't have Carbs).

Does fat work? I figure you could find the fattest guy there and suck on the fat.

OK yeah, this has gone full on Hannibal Lecter.

I may just have a weak stomach, but could you dial down whatever is happening?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked