Australia no longer has an explicit Minister for Science. First time since 1963.

Pages PREV 1 2

RhombusHatesYou:
To be honest, the Libs didn't win the election so much as the ALP lost it by being a bunch of undisciplined, directionless fucks.

Well, and the mining industry and Murdoch were firmly set against them, and did a good smear job.

thaluikhain:

RhombusHatesYou:
To be honest, the Libs didn't win the election so much as the ALP lost it by being a bunch of undisciplined, directionless fucks.

Well, and the mining industry and Murdoch were firmly set against them, and did a good smear job.

They were just as hostile in previous elections... although, I'm apparently an ivory tower intellectual these days (I remember when you had to at least be post-grad for that) so what would I know?

It's sort of like how Rudd didn't 'win' the 07 election so much as even the average Australian was sick to fuck of Howard.

RhombusHatesYou:
They were just as hostile in previous elections... although, I'm apparently an ivory tower intellectual these days (I remember when you had to at least be post-grad for that) so what would I know?

It's sort of like how Rudd didn't 'win' the 07 election so much as even the average Australian was sick to fuck of Howard.

True, there's that.

OTOH, been a while since a serving PM was ousted by their own party, the mining industry doesn't usually do that.

Batou667:
Quick question: what's the Aussie public response been to having two British-born PMs on the bounce? Evidently there's been no equivalent of Obama's birther-mania, but is the average Aussie particularly fussed about having an ex-Pom[1] in office?

Australia doesn't have a "natural born citizen" requirement anywhere and the Prime Minister holds much less power in their hands than the US President.

However, given a big portion of Australians are of British ancestry and relatively recent (post WW2) immigrants it's not at all uncommon here to be born in Britain (especially in the age bracket of most prominent politicians).

[1] I understand that in Australia that's an oxymoron - once a Pommie wanker, always a Pommie wanker!

Fireaxe:

Batou667:
Quick question: what's the Aussie public response been to having two British-born PMs on the bounce? Evidently there's been no equivalent of Obama's birther-mania, but is the average Aussie particularly fussed about having an ex-Pom[1] in office?

Australia doesn't have a "natural born citizen" requirement anywhere and the Prime Minister holds much less power in their hands than the US President.

However, given a big portion of Australians are of British ancestry and relatively recent (post WW2) immigrants it's not at all uncommon here to be born in Britain (especially in the age bracket of most prominent politicians).

pretty much this. i cant honestly say i know of anyone who would be fussed in the slightest where someone is from originally. if they can do the job, fine and dandy

[1] I understand that in Australia that's an oxymoron - once a Pommie wanker, always a Pommie wanker!

RyQ_TMC:
I'm not Australian and know little of Aussie political parties and whatnot. But this thread sounds like a poor excuse to bitch about the new government. Oh dear, the name of a ministry has changed! Let's not consider whether the portfolio stays the same and whether the minister is at all competent, they removed "science" from the ministry's name, therefore they want to take the whole country back several hundred years!

1400 (~25%) of scientists at the countries biggest research organisation will not have their contracts renewed. Ye of little faith.

Dryk:

RyQ_TMC:
I'm not Australian and know little of Aussie political parties and whatnot. But this thread sounds like a poor excuse to bitch about the new government. Oh dear, the name of a ministry has changed! Let's not consider whether the portfolio stays the same and whether the minister is at all competent, they removed "science" from the ministry's name, therefore they want to take the whole country back several hundred years!

1400 (~25%) of scientists at the countries biggest research organisation will not have their contracts renewed. Ye of little faith.

never underestimate their ability to screw things up.

plus the indonesians are finally going nope not coperating with abbotts plans to turn back boats.. good on them

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked