Pretends to be black, wins election

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's not an Obama joke sorry. This happened a few days ago. Not a major election either was just to get on the board of a community college.

The tactics used are legendary. Looks like he won based on one pamphlet.
I wonder if they try to revoke his election on the grounds "people were not informed" HA!

Flutterguy:
It's not an Obama joke sorry. This happened a few days ago. Not a major election either was just to get on the board of a community college.

The tactics used are legendary. Looks like he won based on one pamphlet.
I wonder if they try to revoke his election on the grounds "people were not informed" HA!

Epic level voting fail, and a huge reason why voting in the US is useless. Barely anyone can name their governor, let alone state reps, and a shocking amount can't name the vice president. So the votes went entirely for either political parties or in this case, skin color. What is the point of voting if you aren't making a remotely informed decision?

He also pulled this move:

One of his mailers said he was "Endorsed by Ron Wilson," which longtime Houston voters might easily interpret as a statement of support from a former state representative of the same name who's also African-American. Fine print beneath the headline says "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," a reference to one of Wilson's relatives living in Iowa.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/10/dave-wilson-houston_n_4251625.html

Unless his cousin is anyone relevant I think the intent of deception there is obvious. But unsurprising considering what kind of a pathetic asshole he is.

I don't have a whole lot to contribute, I just wanted to chime in and say that this is something truly incredible. It's trolling on a level I thought I'd never see. I wouldn't be surprised if it's later revealed to be part of an experiment or something.

This is a very, scummy, cruel tactic, but it just toes the line for not being perjury. He never actually said he was black, just heavily, HEAVILY implied it. Nothing he did, as far as I can tell, is criminal. Although, I don't think any law maker ever dreamed someone would do something like this.

Although, it also says a lot about Voter Apathy when they don't even spend a minute to look up a wikipedia page and voting based on race.

Master of the Skies:

One of his mailers said he was "Endorsed by Ron Wilson," which longtime Houston voters might easily interpret as a statement of support from a former state representative of the same name who's also African-American. Fine print beneath the headline says "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," a reference to one of Wilson's relatives living in Iowa.

Unless his cousin is anyone relevant I think the intent of deception there is obvious. But unsurprising considering what kind of a pathetic asshole he is.

But it said right on the paper the two are cousins! The fine printing totally clears up the misconception and eliminates any (legal) standing to accuse him of fraud.

No, really, that fine print really does remove most legal challenges to accuse him of fraud, as long as he really has a cousin that just happens to share a name with a black senator with large amounts of local support.

Not G. Ivingname:

Master of the Skies:

But it said right on the paper the two are cousins! The fine printing totally clears up the misconception and eliminates any (legal) standing to accuse him of fraud.

No, really, that fine print really does remove most legal challenges to accuse him of fraud, as long as he really has a cousin that just happens to share a name with a black senator with large amounts of local support.

Yeah, it does clear him legally, but I think everyone knows the real intent even if he can't be prosecuted for it.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Epic level voting fail, and a huge reason why voting in the US is useless. Barely anyone can name their governor, let alone state reps, and a shocking amount can't name the vice president. So the votes went entirely for either political parties or in this case, skin color. What is the point of voting if you aren't making a remotely informed decision?

He only won by 25 votes (or so I am led to believe), so you don't need many people being tricked for it to work.

thaluikhain:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

He only won by 25 votes (or so I am led to believe), so you don't need many people being tricked for it to work.

It still speaks volumes about the voter base.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

thaluikhain:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

It still speaks volumes about the voter base.

Well, about part of the voter base, which wouldn't have to be that big for that trick to work.

OTOH, yeah, more likely that he tricked a large number of people.

Master of the Skies:

Yeah, it does clear him legally, but I think everyone knows the real intent even if he can't be prosecuted for it.

Does it though? Judges can judge based on the spirit of the law, can't they? I know it's happened a lot in my life because of parental stuff etc..

Danny Ocean:

Master of the Skies:

Does it though? Judges can judge based on the spirit of the law, can't they? I know it's happened a lot in my life because of parental stuff etc..

Well what more could you have expected of him legally? That he put it in big large letters unlike anyone else has to? I'm not sure how you could deal with an objection along the lines of pointing out that it's good enough for everyone else and it may be rather hard to round up people who misunderstood and it'd be hard to show that it had undue consequences on the election.

I'm inclined to say the voters deserve what they got if they voted for a man solely because of his skin colour. Maybe next time they'll do a little more research into the candidates before voting.

Not G. Ivingname:

Presumably under that jurisdiction, yes. But others may define fraud as material that can be proven to have been deliberately presented to induce misunderstanding, even if not strictly a lie.

It may be worth introducing some laws on electoral standards that are a little more stringent than basic law, as this sort of thing fundamentally undermines democracy.

I am so confused. Why are people complaining he tricked them?!! The WORST part of this, is they voted for a guy simply because they thought he was black. They deserve to have him elected if they only vote for people because of their skin color. Shame on the voters! I don't see that he did anything wrong. If they only care about skin color, that is the problem that should be addressed. Voting for a guy just because he is black is just as bad as voting for a guy just because he was white.

Whatever happened to " Don't judge a book by it's cover"?

I think it's quite a witty stunt that exposes the lazy, image-driven nature of modern politics. If people were suckered in by this, more fool them.

As bad as this is, I'd actually like to see more of this.
Vote for a Dem posing as a GOP Nutjob, only to say "A-HA! GOTCHA!", x100 points if it's a POTUS Election.
While that would most likely cause a riot, It'd be funny to see if they would actually fall for it.

Agema:
Presumably under that jurisdiction, yes. But others may define fraud as material that can be proven to have been deliberately presented to induce misunderstanding, even if not strictly a lie.

It may be worth introducing some laws on electoral standards that are a little more stringent than basic law, as this sort of thing fundamentally undermines democracy.

While I get what you are saying, at the end of the day, the main issue here is just cheer voter ignorance.
Granted, that's a cop out for most cases of fraud ("You were the one dumb enough to fall for it!"), the fact that no one in the voting base seemed to bat an eyelid under after the election does speak volumes.

Seriously, one search on Wikia followed by someone pointing it out and this would be a non-issue.
Hell, why the hell didn't the opposition not point this out, they would have won by default then!

So..wait. This is a community that is majority black, voting for a position that already had a black incumbent. Do we know the race of anyone else on the ballot?

But yeah only having Black people in his flyers is a good way to trick them. Black folks are pretty used to mostly seeing images of other Black people(and I mean more that just one for token diversity) if another Black person is involved.

Diablo1099:
As bad as this is, I'd actually like to see more of this.
Vote for a Dem posing as a GOP Nutjob, only to say "A-HA! GOTCHA!", x100 points if it's a POTUS Election.
While that would most likely cause a riot, It'd be funny to see if they would actually fall for it.

Honestly, this already happens. There are quite a few Republicans that are basically Democrats. There's less and less difference between the two parties these days, despite the rhetoric. Politicians fool us all the time, this just takes it to the next level.

Sad thing is there is nothing you can do to punish him. All he did was take the "politicians playbook" and dialed it up to 9.

ummm... so they are disappointed that he is not black?

im sorry, but if i would vote for someone, and they ask my vote to be invalid "because i thought he was white", i can guarantee you i would get a lot of shit thrown my way.

learn, ffs, who you vote for.

They should open a booth for people who are not happy. In said booth, their voting rights should be revoked. Because people like those dont deserve to vote.

neonit:
They should open a booth for people who are not happy. In said booth, their voting rights should be revoked. Because people like those dont deserve to vote.

Ahaha brilliant.

This is however just a very in your face example of how horribly broken democracy is. I wanted to give it some light here.

"I'd like to retract my vote, because the candidate did not have the purity of racial origin I based my vote on"

This should be amusing.

I pretty much see two possible scenarios. This Wilson guy did something I absolutely cannot agree with in both.

1) His alleged race affected the outcome. In which case, people voted based on the race of the candidate. Which is stupid, and I have no sympathy for people who vote on the basis of one's race.

2) His alleged race did not affect the outcome. In which case, his lie was inconsequential in outcome, as it was not the deciding factor. But he's still done something I simply cannot support - if you're running for an official function, you're kind of expected to be honest.

Agema:

Not G. Ivingname:

Sounds like a good idea, but is going to be a nightmare to introduce. All election campaigns stretch the truth, use tactics that prey on predictable human behavior. It would take a lot of voter support to make any politician do something that will effect their reelection prospects.

That is just too funny. I was literally holding my sides for minutes, what a workout! I mean, he basically pulled a Dunkelzhan (the dragon that ran for president in Shadowrun). I think this was a good result for bolstering my theory that not only should voting definitely not be compulsory, but that a large proportion (I'm thinking three-quarters) shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.

Using deceptive tactics to win the election, this is an outrage. This is almost as bad as basing your vote on the race of a candidate!

Well it IS HCC, nobody accused them of being terribly bright :P

Vegosiux:
I pretty much see two possible scenarios. This Wilson guy did something I absolutely cannot agree with in both.

1) His alleged race affected the outcome. In which case, people voted based on the race of the candidate. Which is stupid, and I have no sympathy for people who vote on the basis of one's race.

2) His alleged race did not affect the outcome. In which case, his lie was inconsequential in outcome, as it was not the deciding factor. But he's still done something I simply cannot support - if you're running for an official function, you're kind of expected to be honest.

Hm, well in either case it seems he's dishonest and that *is* a fair reason to dislike a candidate. People could not care about his race, but merely the fact he implicitly lied about it. Besides of course the endorsement thing with his cousin.

People voted based on their impressions from a misleading pamphlet (misleading in more ways than just race)? For an office as important as the Houston Community College Board? Surely our democracy nears its end! The HCCB will never be the same again.

Who knew that the Eddie Murphy movie (The Distinguished Gentleman) was prophetic in nature.

I L-O-V-E this.

It's a GREAT example of voter ignorance, and how racism isn't 'just a white thing'.

ANYONE who votes for someone because they share they same skin color or genitals is a bigot far as I can tell.

Tanis:
I L-O-V-E this.

It's a GREAT example of voter ignorance, and how racism isn't 'just a white thing'.

ANYONE who votes for someone because they share they same skin color or genitals is a bigot far as I can tell.

So... his being dishonest doesn't matter at all?

It's funny how many people ignore the fact he was dishonest just for their moment to go "Hah!". Because quite simply it's wrong that he even tried to deceive voters, but you guys are totally willing to ignore that he was dishonest, whether it should have been an important matter or not, and also put that misleading endorsement in.

Well... kinda glad this happened.
To be honest so many tricks work on people who are too lazy or... too acustomed to the norm...

The Idea of Democracy relies on the assumption that voters are informed. Clearly they weren't.
Unlike what the guy who lost said, "This undermines Democracy"... well no... its already undermined. This is just someone exploiting it, which is nearly inevitable. In the long run, this happening may help stregnthen it.
Lets just hope the voters place more care in voting next time.

...still, damn fair play to this guy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked