Russia annexes Crimea

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Holy ****

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/world/europe/ukraine.html

The russian senate has just approved by unanimity moving forces to the ukranian peninsule of Crimea (overwhelmingly pro-russian), and the Kiev government has acused Putin of having already begun the invasion.

This may very well end in Russian annexing Crimea (they will be alledgely helding a referendum at the end of this month), or even a larger part of east-Ukraine.

Do you think they will stop there?

Later edits:
Crimea votes for independence. 97% said yes:
http://rt.com/news/crimea-referendum-results-official-250/

Russia reconogizes the results and moves towards a possible annexion:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-eu-announce-sanctions-folllowing-vote-in-ukraine/2014/03/17/3223799c-add9-11e3-a49e-76adc9210f19_story.html

Russia annexes Crimea
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-completes-crimea-annexation-122546931.html

LAST UPDATE:

Ukraine pulls out it's troops from Crimea

New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/world/europe/ukraine-pulls-all-its-forces-out-of-crimea.html

Aljazeera http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/03/g7-meet-as-russia-tightens-grip-crimea-201432319496541510.html

We WW3 now?

Seriously I'm way to close to the action in this one.

Hoo-boy, things are spiraling out of control quite quickly now.
I have no clue what to expect at this point. Ukraine isn't part of the EU yet. Will we try to intervene diplomatically or otherwise anyway? Will the UN? What the hell?

With as much trash as the EU has been talking, it will be interesting to if they actually do anything. But in reality they won't lift a finger and in the end the EU will toss the Ukraine under the bus, the word appeasement comes to mind.

Really sad to be honest, the EU talks a good game but in the end that's all they'll do. They will not send any troops in to help the Ukraine, they most likely won't even send supplies,and they won't do anything else that would get their hands dirty. But in the end its Europe's problem now.

Honestly, I see only two ways for this to get resolved.

1) The basically bend over and let Russia take whatever land they want. (The most likely outcome)
2) They attack the Russians and make the land-grab as bloody as possible. If they even launch an attack against Russia itself, it might make them pause.

So in either event Ukraine as we know it is screwed, and nobody will come to their rescue.

mavkiel:

1) The basically bend over and let Russia take whatever land they want. (The most likely outcome)
2) They attack the Russians and make the land-grab as bloody as possible. If they even launch an attack against Russia itself, it might make them pause.

So in either event Ukraine as we know it is screwed, and nobody will come to their rescue.

Is it not likely that the Russians put a puppet government in to support their own interests, rather than simply annexing the place?

fenrisroar:
With as much trash as the EU has been talking, it will be interesting to if they actually do anything. But in reality they won't lift a finger and in the end the EU will toss the Ukraine under the bus, the word appeasement comes to mind.

It does, and then it's quickly discarded when you realize you're not dealing with Hitler, you are dealing with a nuclear armed state, and that Russia has a history of not tolerating dust-ups on its border. At least they waited until after the Olympics before invading this time...

Really sad to be honest, the EU talks a good game but in the end that's all they'll do. They will not send any troops in to help the Ukraine, they most likely won't even send supplies,and they won't do anything else that would get their hands dirty. But in the end its Europe's problem now.

Modern wars have to be approached in the most utilitarian matter possible, because no matter what you do it will be extremely costly in terms of material costs, national morale, and combat readiness. As much as the EU and US would rather have Ukraine as an ally, the calculus does not favor going to war with a nuclear-armed power in order to achieve that.

thaluikhain:
Is it not likely that the Russians put a puppet government in to support their own interests, rather than simply annexing the place?

That was the last government. It didn't work out too well...

The Gentleman:

Modern wars have to be approached in the most utilitarian matter possible, because no matter what you do it will be extremely costly in terms of material costs, national morale, and combat readiness. As much as the EU and US would rather have Ukraine as an ally, the calculus does not favor going to war with a nuclear-armed power in order to achieve that.

This has nothing to do with the US, it was the EU who was trying to expand it's influence that brought this about.

Also Russia won't use Nukes because then they'll get the same in return, but they'll fight a ground war which they won't need to because the EU won't stand up to them at all. As I said before this is Europe's problem.

fenrisroar:
Also Russia won't use Nukes because then they'll get the same in return, but they'll fight a ground war which they won't need to because the EU won't stand up to them at all. As I said before this is Europe's problem.

The EU won't stand up to them in large part because Russia is nuclear capable. You don't need to use your weapons to use them.

thaluikhain:

fenrisroar:

The EU won't stand up to them in large part because Russia is nuclear capable. You don't need to use your weapons to use them.

The EU has nukes as well (Great Britain and France), so it seems that the EU is not using their weapons and not using them at all. Russia isn't going to hit Europe with a nuclear weapon because Europe would hit them back with one, so Nukes are not the problem here.

What will happen if the Russian Military annexes all of the Ukraine then? Or if the Ukraine asks for military aid in the form of troops or equipment? If the EU won't stand up for them then they should not have gotten the people of the Ukraine hopes up with offers and tales of closer relations and integration with Europe.

fenrisroar:
The EU has nukes as well (Great Britain and France), so it seems that the EU is not using their weapons and not using them at all. Russia isn't going to hit Europe with a nuclear weapon because Europe would hit them back with one, so Nukes are not the problem here.

Certainly...but Russia is also not going to hit GB or France with conventional weapons, the same as they are not going to hit it with them. If neither side had nuclear weapons, war between them would look much more tempting. As it is, neither dares provoking the other too much.

fenrisroar:
What will happen if the Russian Military annexes all of the Ukraine then? Or if the Ukraine asks for military aid in the form of troops or equipment?

The EU won't do anything to provoke Russia. Having said that, we might get a Cold War proxy war going on, though it seems unlikely. That'd be the maximum, though, the EU isn't going to fight Russia and Russia isn't going to fight the EU.

As an Englishman I say we fight/help if the Ukraine wants us too. I support the EU and its time we show that the EU is a stronger bond than just some trade agreements and paper. I wonder what our current government will say on this, waiting for a response from Mr Cameron. No offence to the man but he seems like a shitty wartime leader.

That said its not been made apparent at all if the peninsula WANTS to join Russia or not in the majority. So helping should be really the final say of the democratic wishes of the people who live there.

BiscuitTrouser:
As an Englishman I say we fight/help if the Ukraine wants us too.

You want your nation to go to war against Russia?

Where will get our TV shows about grizzled detectives investigating murder victims found by people walking their dogs once the UK is destroyed?

thaluikhain:

BiscuitTrouser:
As an Englishman I say we fight/help if the Ukraine wants us too.

You want your nation to go to war against Russia?

I want our nation to provide supplies and aid and at most fight a cold war by proxxy, then again id rather do so with the backing of the rest of the EU rather than alone, the USA made some promises about it too so they are stuck in the situation just by opening their mouths. Again i cant really say WHAT i want until:

"That said its not been made apparent at all if the peninsula WANTS to join Russia or not in the majority. So helping should be really the final say of the democratic wishes of the people who live there."

I say we give Russia what they want, their Crimea. It's Russian land, and I am sure many could argue that no soviet leader had the right to give that away. I am pretty sure it would be impossible for the Ukraine to fight a war with it's population so divided. Let Russia have their vote on what Crimea wants, which Russia will win, and the Russia may let the Ukraine join EU' and maybe NATO. Either the Ukraine is under Russia's shadow or it loses Crimea. As for people here who want to fight Russia, it's pretty hard to do so when you count how many ethnic Russians live in the Ukraine.

If Russia does not let the Ukraine join The EU after being given Crimea then the Ukraine would be in a better shape to get worldwide sympathy, and supplies and aid.

Gergar12:
I say we give Russia what they want, their Crimea. It's Russian land, and I am sure many could argue that no soviet leader had the right to give that away. I am pretty sure it would be impossible for the Ukraine to fight a war with it's population so divided. Let Russia have their vote on what Crimea wants, which Russia will win, and the Russia may let the Ukraine join EU' and maybe NATO. Either the Ukraine is under Russia's shadow or it loses Crimea. As for people here who want to fight Russia, it's pretty hard to do so when you count how many ethnic Russians live in the Ukraine.

If Russia does not let the Ukraine join The EU after being given Crimea then the Ukraine would be in a better shape to get worldwide sympathy, and supplies and aid.

If you give the Russians the Crimea because no Soviet leader had the right, what's to stop them taking the the land annex by other soviet leaders back?

albino boo:

Gergar12:

If you give the Russians the Crimea because no Soviet leader had the right, what's to stop them taking the the land annex by other soviet leaders back?

The Ukraine people in areas with a high percentage of Ukrainians vs Russians, however the Crimea is mostly full of Russians. We have to admit this is both an ethnical conflict, and one form by past events in history. Also if the reports are correct, the Russian people in Crimea are already supporting Russia despite Russia invading with unmarked troops. If the Ukraine trikes to keep Crimea then it will have to fight the people there, and the Russian army.

I just hope Eu and NATO wont back down from Russia otherwise it would send the message that Eu and NATO would do nothing but talk while letting Russia do what it wants.

Gergar12:

The Ukraine people in areas with a high percentage of Ukrainians vs Russians, however the Crimea is mostly full of Russians. We have to admit this is both an ethnical conflict, and one form by past events in history. Also if the reports are correct, the Russian people in Crimea are already supporting Russia despite Russia invading with unmarked troops. If the Ukraine trikes to keep Crimea then it will have to fight the people there, and the Russian army.

The reason why the Crimea is full of Russians is because they deported to the Gulags the Crimean Tatars after 1944 replaced them with Russians. Of the 200000 deported to Uzbekistan just under 45% of them died. So are you going to now reward soviet ethnic cleansing?

albino boo:

Gergar12:

The reason why the Crimea is full of Russians is because they deported to the Gulags the Crimean Tatars after 1944 replaced them with Russians. Of the 200000 deported to Uzbekistan just under 45% of them died. So are you going to now reward soviet ethnic cleansing?

No, but in order to keep it, the EU WILL need to support the Ukraine with troops, and not just supplies unless Putin is stupid enough to send lack luster T-72's, and older tech like he did in Georgia which was a much smaller country. So unless the EU stands up to Russia which I don't think it will do.

Gergar12:

albino boo:

Gergar12:

No, but in order to keep it, the EU WILL need to support the Ukraine with troops, and not just supplies unless Putin is stupid enough to send lack luster T-72's, and older tech like he did in Georgia which was a much smaller country. So unless the EU stands up to Russia which I don't think it will do.

Thats point unless the US stands up to him he isn't going to stop at the Crimea he will just keep on rolling until he gets the whole lot. If you keep rewarding Putin for confrontations he has no reason to stop engaging in confrontations. These kind regimes that rely on patriotic fever to cover up the undemocratic and corrupt nature of government need to stage and win foreign confrontations to remain stable. Putin is only one policy mistake from from having the same problem in Red Square that happened in Kiev.

It seems that Russia may attempt to annex the Crimean peninsula through the pre-existing agreement it has with Ukraine to move troops around Crimea and station its black sea fleet there. I doubt Putin would attempt to do the same on the Ukrainian mainland for now. I think at the moment the international community is willing to give Russia the benefit of the doubt and assume that Russia is acting within the boundaries of its right to station military personnel in Crimea. The Ukrainian government really ought to offer Crimea a referendum soon so it can vote to join Russia. That way Putin can walk away from the crisis with his pride relatively unscathed.

I expect someone soon may bring up the Budapest Memorandum[1]A lot of people on Reddit have been saying that this obliges the USA to intervene to protect Ukraine because in 1994 Ukraine traded its nuclear weapons for protection by the USA and (funnily enough) Russia to guarantee its territorial sovereignty. I however don't think the wording of the memorandum means that anyone is obliged use military force to protect Ukraine, rather it simply states that all relevant parties will respect Ukrainian sovereignty. However, Ukrainian government officials have referred to the memorandum and asked that the West abides by their interpretation.

However, any naked act of aggression by Russia on the Ukrainian mainland should be met by a stronger response by the international community that goes beyond mere words of condemnation. We need an international system where the sovereignty of nations is respected and enforced by leading military powers. Also, how the USA responds to this crisis could have diplomatic consequences for its all important Asia Pivot strategy. Countries like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and the Philippines look to the USA for protection against China. If the US merely appeases Putin what's to say America won't do the same if China pulls a similar stunt? Inaction here does set a dangerous precedent for other nations to try and copy what Russia's up to.

Sorry.. Had to. Red Alert 2 will never be forgotten.

Ukraine has put its armies on high alert and threatens war with Russia. Crisis meetings have begun and the Ukraine have begun cutting all diplomatic ties with Russia.

The U.S have ofcourse come out strongly -against- Russian intervention in Ukraine and so has the E.U.

NATOs secretary general has strongly suggested that Ukraine membership is possible. It is somewhat feared that this might have been one of the things that sparked the Russian Invasion of Ukraine.

If Crimea wants to join Russia and Russia will have it then I say let them have it. But I am also for sending forces to the Ukraine to make sure they dont try any bullshit against the rest of it, assuming of course that the Ukraine approves. If that means I have to get conscripted and sent to Kiev then so be it. Its a worthier cause than jerking off and watching the walking dead. If we appease that wannabe despot here then he will never stop pushing. Im not saying were supposed to be unreasonable about it but were a nuclear power and hardly toothless, lets not act like we are.

...what the fuck? Russia has handled this really poorly. I can understand this vote if it had been the first act in making sure the results of a Crimean referendum(which would probably go pro-Russian) were honored, but what with coming after their black ops running around, it just seems like Russia doesn't know what it's doing. They're securing sites and it doesn't appear the Crimeans are opposed to their presence, but even if they are just trying to protect infrastructure from civil unrest that Ukraine is currently incapable of doing anything about, it still looks shady as fuck. Russia was about to be handed Crimea under circumstances where no one could legitimately oppose them and they dicked that up.

Or maybe it's intentional and they just want to get into a fight with someone.

The EU and NATO don't want a war right now. The Cold War ended in 1991 - 23 years ago. Do you honestly think NATO spend 23 years maintaining the same level of readiness in Europe? The forces stationed in Europe haven't been preparing for a war in at least 22 years, they've seen their funding cut and their readiness degraded. Because no one predicted that this sort of thing would happen. The US and NATO have focused on Afghanistan and Iraq and have built up forces in the Pacific against a possible war with China. They haven't been focusing on the European theatre, and honestly, why would they? Can any of you HONESTLY say that you predicted, ahead of time, that Russia would have the nerve to deploy troops in Crimea? No one expected this. The West have been caught off guard.

What next? Russia may have felt that pulled a fast one on the West, but this will not be to its benefit. If they want another Cold War, I can guarantee you they would come out worse for it. If they want another East Vs West conflict, they need to keep in mind that it is not 1954, it's 2014, and the "East" is a HELL of a lot smaller now. During the Cold War, a number of nations were controlled by the USSR and other Communist forces. If Russia started another flap with the West now, who, I ask, would be on their side? Globalization has turned the vast, vast, vast majority of the world to the West. You'd be a fool not to notice that. If they want to isolate themselves from the west, who could they count on? China? AHAHA! No. China does too much business with the US of A to side with Russia. Poland? Hungary? They'd rather eat poison than come under the heel of a Russian boot again. The Central Asian Nations? Yeah, Kazahkstan would be such a great ally for Russia, what with its HUGE economy. Venezuala? That nation is falling apart and too far away from Russia to offer much help or aid. Cuba? Maybe they can get a few cigars.

No - here's what the West Does. Sanctions. Sanction Russia to Hell and back. The West can do that. If we really wanted to, we could make the Russian economy scream. How much of a threat would they be when they have no money? No money = no upgrading of their forces. Russia depends on trade with the rest of the world these days, and we can always cut that off. Once that happens, Putin will not curry favour with the Mafia bosses he is so close to.

Putin's the problem here. And we can his own people to get rid of him. Make the Russian economy scream.

I can also guarantee you that every European nation next to Russia is going to want to Join NATO tomorrow.

Korolev:

No - here's what the West Does. Sanctions. Sanction Russia to Hell and back. The West can do that. If we really wanted to, we could make the Russian economy scream. How much of a threat would they be when they have no money? No money = no upgrading of their forces. Russia depends on trade with the rest of the world these days, and we can always cut that off. Once that happens, Putin will not curry favour with the Mafia bosses he is so close to.

Putin's the problem here. And we can his own people to get rid of him. Make the Russian economy scream.

This is actually a really good approach.

I guess embargoing Russia would help out some, I mean wrecking their economy will put them in a position that they will not be comfortable with. I feel the best way to do that would be for the countries of the Europe to stop all trade with Russia, which could be done as they could just buy Natural gas and energy sources from else where. Since the EU is Russia's largest trading partner they will feel the sting of a harsh trading embargo rather quickly.

That and start to mobilize NATO forces to conduct "War game exercises" in the NATO member states that border the Ukraine, so that way if the Ukraine asks for aid the forces will be ready.

But if it does turn into a shooting war then why not just supply the Ukraine with a lot of drones, anti-tank, and air defenses. Once the Russians loose enough material and man power then they'll back off. After all the Ukraine doesn't need to invade and take Russia they just need to make the whole ordeal so costly that the Russians will not not be able to continue to support any further military actions without leaving Russia itself vulnerable and force a Russian withdrawal.

Korolev:

Even getting just the EU and US to completely embargo Russia, no amount of land will be worth the price. Forget amount money, Russia will have to pull out just because of the food situation. Russia imports a LOT more food than it produces itself. In 2008, they spent 33 Billion dollars on food imports. I been trying to find more recent figures, but the EU and the US are some of the world's biggest food exporters. Public support would quickly die if invasion means marching on an empty stomach.

albino boo:

Gergar12:

albino boo:

Thats point unless the US stands up to him he isn't going to stop at the Crimea he will just keep on rolling until he gets the whole lot. If you keep rewarding Putin for confrontations he has no reason to stop engaging in confrontations. These kind regimes that rely on patriotic fever to cover up the undemocratic and corrupt nature of government need to stage and win foreign confrontations to remain stable. Putin is only one policy mistake from from having the same problem in Red Square that happened in Kiev.

While my doubts about the US intervening anyone would have been laughing at anyone who was serious at it, now there may be a chance with Snowden, and Syria, and Iran, and how Russia has acted, but I still doubt the isolationist US who has a population that wants to stay out of anything that is not regional or in Asia would start a war with Russia. Sorry but EU troops will have to be at the fore front, and the US can only provide transport, and even that will tarnish the democrats allot in the election of 2016.

There will be no war, and I doubt either the US, NATO, or the UN are willing to do anything to Russia to stop this. I bet most escapist here want to intervene. The EU is not moblizing it's forces, and Obama is only issuing empty threats that a teacher would give to a middle/secondary school student.

Ok, I don't normally get on board with getting involved with another nation's problems with the military, but if ANOTHER nation is, I feel like that's one of the rare cases when its justified...granted I hope it doesn't come to that. I hope Russia can be reasoned with. This whole situation is spiraling out of control.

fenrisroar:

Korolev:

I guess embargoing Russia would help out some, I mean wrecking their economy will put them in a position that they will not be comfortable with. I feel the best way to do that would be for the countries of the Europe to stop all trade with Russia, which could be done as they could just buy Natural gas and energy sources from else where. Since the EU is Russia's largest trading partner they will feel the sting of a harsh trading embargo rather quickly.

Excuse me sir, there's someone at the door for you. They say their name is China.

Sanctions won't have any teeth if China doesn't get on board, and Chinese policy in the last few years doesn't inspire me to believe the Party will put ethical concerns ahead of short-term pragmatism. When the second largest economy in the world is sitting on your doorstep, I don't see much chance of sanctions having much effect. Especially if from PRC's view these sanctions start looking like a bloc of their former rivals coming together to oppose their neighbor.

And I don't see any possible way to embargo the country with the largest land area in the world, one with numerous ports on numerous seas and an enormous land border connecting a whole slew of countries. What does Russia need from the EU that they can't buy elsewhere?

thaluikhain:

mavkiel:

They have been talking of annexing surrounding countries. I think they even legalized it and admitted it.

If they try that, war will come sooner or later. Its only a matter of time. They won't stop at the Ukraine, they want the old USSR bloc back.

I wonder if China will step in, a bigger Russia means less influence for them. God forbid they start annexing near China. If China gets involved, then Russia will be bum rushed. Big time. It would really be WWIII.

DANGER- MUST SILENCE:

fenrisroar:

Korolev:

Excuse me sir, there's someone at the door for you. They say their name is China.

Sanctions won't have any teeth if China doesn't get on board, and Chinese policy in the last few years doesn't inspire me to believe the Party will put ethical concerns ahead of short-term pragmatism. When the second largest economy in the world is sitting on your doorstep, I don't see much chance of sanctions having much effect. Especially if from PRC's view these sanctions start looking like a bloc of their former rivals coming together to oppose their neighbor.

And I don't see any possible way to embargo the country with the largest land area in the world, one with numerous ports on numerous seas and an enormous land border connecting a whole slew of countries. What does Russia need from the EU that they can't buy elsewhere?

As it was pointed out, Russia imported $33 Billion from the US and EU in food. Unless China or the nations they bought off can match that - which they can't - then China's disapproval means little more than moral support. Right now, Russia needs the EU's trade because they can't get enough food from anybody else. As much as China might pout, they're not going to give them $33 billion worth of food that they need.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked