Why do Canada, the UK and Ireland celebrate American history?

Pages PREV 1 2

CyanCat47:
How are african americans not a part of western civilization when they live in what is designated as a part thereof as citizens of state who have contributed to its culture in meaningful ways?

To be frank I'm not the one who brought up Western civilisation, you are. I simply mentioned that up here there's no black history to be found west of a town that's known for being about as far east as you can get without getting into our eastmost province.

Zontar:
west of a town that's known for being about as far east as you can get without getting into our eastmost province.

You give directions the same way my mother-in-law does. And she's always getting lost.

Baffle2:

Zontar:
west of a town that's known for being about as far east as you can get without getting into our eastmost province.

You give directions the same way my mother-in-law does. And she's always getting lost.

That's why I"m the pilot, not the nav.

Zontar:

Funny, I have literally just watched the end of Left Behind.

Baffle2:

Zontar:

Funny, I have literally just watched the end of Left Behind.

Having never seen it I wouldn't know how to take that.

Zontar:

Ignore the reviews, it's well worth a watch.

Baffle2:

Zontar:

We talking the Kirk Cameron one or the Nick Cage one?

Zontar:

Baffle2:

Zontar:

Going to butt in here, but anything with Cage in it is worth a watch purely for its awfulness

No, I have never seen the movie in question; just giving general life advice :P

Zontar:

Nick Cage.

Zontar:

Odd, out here we literally take nothing and try and spin it as history since everything west of Sackville doesn't have any such history worth mentioning. With how the "we need to hate ourselves" types are you'd think that'd be what they focus on since any excuse to take a dump on Western society is a good one.

"Nothing" is incredibly subjective. But at any rate if you want something more specific, you can look at the history behind Shelburne and Birchtown. Black loyalists, when brought to Canada after serving the British during the Civil War, were free from slavery and promised land in exchange for their service, but were instead pushed off to the side and never received the land they were promised.

If you want more contemporary examples of Black history in Nova Scotia, look up Africville and its history. It was a town that originated on the north end of the Halifax peninsula populated by Black loyalists up until the mid-20th century when expansion of Halifax led to the forceful decimation of the town.

Recognizing history isn't about hating ourselves, it's about realizing where we've gone wrong and learning from the mistakes of the past. Honestly not sure why you made this thread if that's how you're going to respond to examples, just seems like you wanted to throw your opinion out there as opposed to actually having a discussion.

Zontar:

To be frank I'm not the one who brought up Western civilisation, you are. I simply mentioned that up here there's no black history to be found west of a town that's known for being about as far east as you can get without getting into our eastmost province.

I'm willing to bet plenty of the people in those places listen to R&B and hip-hop, amongst other cultural influences largely from blacks. And they share a country with a load of people who are black - even if those blacks arrived in Canada relatively recently and mostly live in cities hundreds of miles away. And Canada is hugely culturally, economically and politically interlinked with its enormously influential southern neighbour, where blacks are an even bigger deal.

It's not asking too much for them to learn a little bit of the history of people who contribute a significant amount to their culture and society. Nor is it like anything that crucial is going to be ditched out instead for the small amount of attention diverted. I mean, seriously: what vital history Canadians are missing out on? The Papal Schism? The War of Jenkins Ear? The Peloponnesian War? It's not exactly like they'll be kicking out the 1931 Statute of Westminster for it.

Agema:
Canada is hugely culturally, economically and politically interlinked with its enormously influential southern neighbour, where blacks are an even bigger deal.

The culture part is about as recent as black immigration in noteworthy number: most of the country was alive to see it. It's very recently that American culture has come to dominate us here, wasn't until the 80s we really started to look alike. And it should be noted that outside of Michigan the border states are almost entirely devoid of blacks, in fact outside of Washington I'm pretty sure they're almost entirely white.

It's not asking too much for them to learn a little bit of the history of people who contribute a significant amount to their culture and society

There isn't a "significant" amount of black culture up here, that's the problem. There's only 3% of the population who are black up here across the entire country, and almost all of them are first or second generation Haitians or Jamaicans. They're comparable to Muslims in the US: yes they're there but to focus on them and their "significant" contributions would be an insult to the many groups who had a much larger hand in forging this country who are ignored.

what vital history Canadians are missing out on?

The history of the Metis in forming Manitoba, of the Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Koreans in their hand in making B.C.

The Ukrainians and Germans for their part in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

The Spaniards in Newfoundland.

The Quebec Inuit.

The Algonquin.

The Ojibwe Mississauga.

Really anyone who isn't French, English, Irish or Scottish since our four are the main groups who made this nation so that means everyone tends to forget the rest.

To go on a slight tangent, I think there should be some kind of equivalent history month in the UK, but directed at colonialism. With the exception of abolishing the slave trade and William Wilberforce, there is very little actually taught about colonialism in UK schools - which is odd considering how much World history it has shaped. Historically, the one thing the UK should be known for, above all else, is how we got to be the best at invading other places - and yet mysteriously we never find the time to look back on the various atrocities we committed in the act of civilising and strip mining much of the world.

So yes, we should spend a month at least thinking about this sort of thing, and acknowledging the contributions of the colonies and their immigrants to the UK as well. Because right now, any reference to the lasting damage we have caused other countries is met with "white guilt" criticism.

Zontar:

what vital history Canadians are missing out on?

The history of the Metis in forming Manitoba, of the Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Koreans in their hand in making B.C.

The Quebec Inuit.

The Algonquin.

The Ojibwe Mississauga.

Yes, but what vital history are Canadians missing out on? [/joke]

Have you have even read the Canadian curriculum? I'm not even Canadian and I know that their schools teach the First Nations. I mean, if nothing else a Canadian pupil can hardly miss them given any useful history of Canada must point out stuff like their land being stolen in the process of colonisation.

But just to show some rudimentary evidence searching...

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/canworld910curr2013.pdf
Note pages ~113-115 sections B2 & B3, clearly covering aspects of First Nation and Chinese immigration.

As for Ukrainians, Germans, and a tiny bit of fishing by the Spaniards 400 years ago (now that really is not vital history), they're all European whites and safely covered within the general grasp of white colonisation and nation building of modern Canada.

Zontar:

The Quebec Inuit.

The Algonquin.

The Ojibwe Mississauga.

Really anyone who isn't French, English, Irish or Scottish since our four are the main groups who made this nation so that means everyone tends to forget the rest.

You know we can have it all, right?

It's not like having things like Black History Month means we can't have more focus on other aspects of Canadian history.

Instead of whining and being offended about Black history being a thing here, why not just fight for recognition of other groups? Just seems reaaaaally counter-productive to be taking the angle you're taking. (EDIT: by the by, this is me assuming that you even actually care about the groups you listed, which considering who I'm talking to here I kinda doubt it and feel you're probably just using them as justification for your point. I mean, feel free to surprise me though.)

But again I implore you to actually looking into Black history in Canada before writing it off as being non-existent without bothering to check if it really is or not. I know your primary source of knowledge, news and information is 4chan, but come on, you can actually try for once.

TakeyB0y2:

Zontar:

The Quebec Inuit.

The Algonquin.

The Ojibwe Mississauga.

You know we can have it all, right?

It's not like having things like Black History Month means we can't have more focus on other aspects of Canadian history.

Instead of whining and being offended about Black history being a thing here, why not just fight for recognition of other groups? Just seems reaaaaally counter-productive to be taking the angle you're taking.

But again I implore you to actually looking into Black history in Canada before writing it off as being non-existent without bothering to check if it really is or not. I know your primary source of knowledge, news and information is 4chan, but come on, you can actually try for once.

Divide and conquer, of course, works on the battlefield, works with ethnicities. How else will we ever restore the glorious British empire?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here