WHAT THE **** DID YOU SAY ABOUT OUR LORD PRESIDENT TRUMP!?!?! SEND HIM TO THE BAY!!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey? Come over here. I have something to tell you. If you say anything and I mean anything on national television insulting our President by calling him Putin's cock holster, DO NOT LAUGH!, then you are about to earn a trip down the unemployment center, you HEATHENS!!!!

and then this happened.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/06/opinions/stephen-colbert-gold-callan-cevallos/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39828336
http://globalnews.ca/news/3432323/fcc-investigating-stephen-colbert-trump-joke/

Homophobic? Homophobic? Homophobic? Really? That's homophobic? How! Get the fuck out of here!!!

Either way, what do you think? So if you make a joke about Trump, then kiss your job, maybe, good bye.

Better not cross Lord Trump for you lesser common folks in here.

>Implying that Trump supporters are the ones behind this

Let's be real, the people getting offended by this joke aren't the same people who voted for him. SNL has done worst consistently and the worst they've got was being called (rightly) hacks who can'y write decent comedy anymore for it. This joke? That's not going to offend the people who didn't blink at SNL's months of low quality work that insults parody as a notion by calling it such.

Zontar:

Let's be real, the people getting offended by this joke aren't the same people who voted for him. SNL has done worst consistently and the worst they've got was being called (rightly) hacks who can'y write decent comedy anymore for it. This joke? That's not going to offend the people who didn't blink at SNL's months of low quality work that insults parody as a notion by calling it such.

Never implied it was the alt right/Trump supporters entirely. I just wanna know who branded it homophobic? As you even stated, other shows and comedians have made worse comments. Also, Zontar, comedy is subjective and SNL's jokes were on point to me. It's okay if it werent for you. We all laugh at many things that others dont.

EDIT: No, I don't want to talk about shitty people being shitty right now. Sorry, move along.

Parasondox:
It's okay if it werent for you. We all laugh at many things that others dont.

Even if they where funny at first, given their repetition I don't see how those who liked them could continue to do so.

BeetleManiac:

Come on dude, it's just shitty people being shitty on the internet. Every side has them. Why are you bullshitting?

Given how I've seen a lot of places and people blame this on Trump supporters despite the fact there's no way to argue that, it's something that ticks me off.

Edit: if you don't want to talk about this, that's fine.

Zontar:

Parasondox:
It's okay if it werent for you. We all laugh at many things that others dont.

Even if they where funny at first, given their repetition I don't see how those who liked them could continue to do so.

BeetleManiac:

Come on dude, it's just shitty people being shitty on the internet. Every side has them. Why are you bullshitting?

Given how I've seen a lot of places and people blame this on Trump supporters despite the fact there's no way to argue that, it's something that ticks me off.

I'll show you how. If you hear a certain noise coming out of peoples mouths that is accompanied by a smile, then bingo. Also, ratings matter and comments too.

Parasondox:

I'll show you how. If you hear a certain noise coming out of peoples mouths that is accompanied by a smile, the bingo. Also, ratings matter and comments too.

But aren't the ratings falling to unseen levels?

I don't know. Look it up. If people are laughing, then it's working. Once again if you do not like something others do, leave them be. Let them laugh.

Trump really seems like he believed he was being elected king/dictator. He doesn't seem to understand that the law protects critics from violence and legal action, that an executive order is not law the moment he writes it, or that the media is not under any obligation to present his actions in a positive light

Well, if the grounds for prosecution are the following definition (from the BBC link): "depict or describe sexual conduct in a 'patently offensive' way; and, taken as a whole, lack serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value", then one could have a valid point. Crude shit like that ain't exactly funny. Then again, US comedy doesn't agree with me in general.

On the other hand, it does say that outside of watershed hours the FCC generally doesn't prosecute, so meh.

The people who got mad at Colbert are truly a bunch of Deplorables.

CyanCat47:
Trump really seems like he believed he was being elected king/dictator. He doesn't seem to understand that the law protects critics from violence and legal action, that an executive order is not law the moment he writes it, or that the media is not under any obligation to present his actions in a positive light

I don't see how that's really relevant given Trump isn't involved, hell Trump supporters aren't realistically involved.

Catnip1024:

On the other hand, it does say that outside of watershed hours the FCC generally doesn't prosecute, so meh.

Yeah they won't prosecute, they just have an obligation to "investigate" if enough people complain. They'll look into it, find nothing wrong was done, and the oddly specific demographic of "triggered by homophobic jokes", "thinks anything is homophobic" and "hates Colbert" will have to wait for the next "gaff" of his to strike again (I think these may just be those who tried to get his old show cancelled who where looking for a chance to complain to be honest)

I was considering making a thread about this after hearing about it a few days ago on Vox. Don't know why I didn't, really; maybe I was afraid people would disagree with me, or maybe I got distracted by the French election.

My opinion was threefold. Firstly, "cock holster" is not, to me, a homophobic slur. Calling anyone a cock holster would be insulting, regardless of their sexuality. I mean, if I called a woman a cock holster, then that'd be a misogynistic slur, even though it's the same goddamn insult with a different target. The insult itself really only condemns...excessive oral sex? Promiscuity? Whatever; it's not homophobic.

Secondly, using an insult that people read as misogynistic or homophobic or whatever doesn't necessarily make you a misogynist or a homophobe or whatever. To bring up the c-bomb; I use the word "cunt" all the time. For Australians, "cunt" is punctuation. I'm not a misogynist, and reading that I was from that insult is logically problematic; that would imply that anyone who called anyone a "dick" was a misandrist. If I called someone an asshole, I'd be...I don't know, misanthropic? Because everyone has assholes?

Thirdly, I found the online outrage to be either counterproductive or hypocritical, depending on the political inclination of the outraged. For the outraged who were ostensibly left-wing, this was an example of the worst excesses of the ctrl-left or whatever you want to call them; deliberately seeking outrage in otherwise innocuous statements so that you can feel the rush of moral condemnation. For the outraged who voted for fucking Trump, this was an example of why treating Trump and his base as some massive backlash against political correctness is mistaken; Trump and his supporters are just as politically correct as the people they condemn. They simply demand adherence to different politics. As soon as the moral outrage coincides with their partisan interests, suddenly they're all on board the shame-train.

Zontar:

What? The Late Show? No, man. No. President Trump is the best thing to happen to Stephen Colbert since...well, since Bill O'Reilly.

bastardofmelbourne:

Zontar:

What? The Late Show? No, man. No. President Trump is the best thing to happen to Stephen Colbert since...well, since Bill O'Reilly.

I was talking about SNL.

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

Zontar:

I was talking about SNL.

Well, still.

Trump has been a godsend for American comedy. After eight years of Obama being all boring and scandal-free, here comes a guy who punctuates every Saturday with a retarded tweet about whatever he saw on Fox & Friends the day before.

Parasondox:

Either way, what do you think? So if you make a joke about Trump, then kiss your job, maybe, good bye.

Okay, let's not blow this out of proportion.

There are rules for broadcast television. One of those rules is that you can't say things like "Your mouth is only good enough to be Vladimir Putin's cock holster" on TV because it's potentially obscene, and the FCC is obliged as part of its legal function to investigate possible incidents of obscenity on television.

Worst case scenario, the network gets a fine and Colbert has a five minute talk with his producer about watching his language.

renegade7:

Parasondox:

There are rules for broadcast television. One of those rules is that you can't say things like "Your mouth is only good enough to be Vladimir Putin's cock holster" on TV because it's potentially obscene, and the FCC is obliged as part of its legal function to investigate possible incidents of obscenity on television.

Worst case scenario, the network gets a fine and Colbert has a five minute talk with his producer about watching his language.

Colbert has nothing to worry about over this, and he knows it. The FCC is only investigating because of all the angry letters and tweets from the perpetually offended.

At worst, he'll get a fine for using language too strong for his timeslot. What's more likely is that he'll be shielded because the Late Show airs after the watershed.

renegade7:

Parasondox:

Wasn't his swearing bleeped or was it live and had to do some hard edit?

So if I got it right, Colbert laughts abotu Putin and Trump being gay lovers, the LGBT community gets pissy that a gay relationship is laughted at "because it's gay"?

Also dear god Parasondox you nearly killed me with the first link stupidity, the writer basically says we need to forgive Colbert because he is very talented and that Trump is president... Wow that was stupid.

inu-kun:
So if I got it right, Colbert laughts abotu Putin and Trump being gay lovers, the LGBT community gets pissy that a gay relationship is laughted at "because it's gay"?

Also dear god Parasondox you nearly killed me with the first link stupidity, the writer basically says we need to forgive Colbert because he is very talented and that Trump is president... Wow that was stupid.

Killing is part of my game, Inu-Kun. Alt Right, LGBT, Trump lovers, I honestly do not know who used the homophobia card incorrectly. And Colbert didn't imply that Trump n Putin were lovers. Just that Trump is a weak bitch. Sorry, my words. Strong I know. Shall I refer to Trump with stronger words?

Okay, as a part time internet comedian (don't laugh), my comedy can be overblown and random but gets to the point in the end. My humour translates well to a small few. Very small few. Like 0.5%.

Parasondox:

inu-kun:

Killing is part of my game, Inu-Kun. Alt Right, LGBT, Trump lovers, I honestly do not know who used the homophobia card incorrectly. And Colbert didn't imply that Trump n Putin were lovers. Just that Trump is a weak bitch. Sorry, my words. Strong I know. Shall I refer to Trump with stronger words?

Okay, as a part time internet comedian (don't laugh), my comedy can be overblown and random but gets to the point in the end. My humour translates well to a small few. Very small few. Like 0.5%.

I get what some people don't like, it's the old "anti gay people are actually secretly gay" which... carries some bad implications to be honest. And "Trummp being a weak bitch" seems like a pretty weird statement, it seems he is pretty open to attack countries like the Syria airbase, not much of a russian puppet.

inu-kun:

The guy advocating his sacking in that same post argues that insulting the president should somehow count as a special offense, and argues that Colbert being "smug" is grounds for being fired

bastardofmelbourne:

After eight years of Obama being all boring and scandal-free

You're joking right? Just because the left wing media refused to acknowledge anything doesn't mean it didn't happen.

inu-kun:

Parasondox:

inu-kun:

I get what some people don't like, it's the old "anti gay people are actually secretly gay" which... carries some bad implications to be honest. And "Trummp being a weak bitch" seems like a pretty weird statement, it seems he is pretty open to attack countries like the Syria airbase, not much of a russian puppet.

Trump can be a weak bitch and still attack people

It's called over compensation

He wants people to think he's strong when he's clearly not

I can't see anyone in the overreactionary left-leaning crowd willing to defend Trump's 'honour' so vehemently after literally everything he's already said and done. And the misunderstanding of 'homophobic' leads me to believe some trump supporters were thinking they were being clever by using terms they've come to despise against the people they despise, despite not understanding either.

Eh, it's not a good way of insulting Trump, yeah. There's plenty of other things to condemn him for.

But to launch an investigation? Yeah, nah.

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

You're joking right? Just because the left wing media refused to acknowledge anything doesn't mean it didn't happen.

No, no, you're right.

There was that one time he tried to wear a tan suit. Looked awful on him.

Saelune:
The people who got mad at Colbert are truly a bunch of Deplorables.

During #FireColbert or #CancelColbert?

I mean, I'd argue both were a bunch of humorless shitheads, but then that's me.

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

Just because you believe it happened, doesnt mean it happened either.

Zhukov:

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

No, no, you're right.

Or the mom jeans *shudders*

Zontar:

They are. Everyone can read r/The_Donald and see for themselves. And no, they're not fooling anybody.

I dont find it homophobic, but the people defending Colbert are the ones who set the bar so low for what is considered homophobic/offensive in the first place. That's the real issue here. Not Trump supporters using a lame excuse to ban Colbert, but that the low bar set by social activists for determining what is offensive is coming back to bite them.

In a sane world, Colbert's remarks would not be homophobic. But this is a world where things like this are considered hateful and homophobic.

Adam Jensen:

Zontar:

They are. Everyone can read r/The_Donald and see for themselves. And no, they're not fooling anybody.

It's rather funny how people seem to think that obvious "campaigns" organized on social media like reddit are something secret that can be lied about.

Zhukov:

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

No, no, you're right.

So Benghazi and Fast n Furious where not a thing then?

Adam Jensen:

Zontar:

Don't say that name in my presence. Those people are screwing up /pol/ worst then the shilldogs.

Zontar:

Don't say that name in my presence. Those people are screwing up /pol/ worst then the shilldogs.

Meh, y'all pretty much just one and the same anyways. *shrug*

OT: Pretty much exemplifies what I always thought when people starting throwing the term "snowflake" around and accused people of being too easily offended. I'm not exactly surprised.

inu-kun:

You know, except for the part where he called Russia beforehand so that they could warn Assad and minimise damage.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here