Texas bans Sanctuary Cities

Pages PREV 1 2 3

bastardofmelbourne:

Rayne360:
I have no sympathy for illegals. A friend of mine was raped by a man who had previously been deported 2 times and came back in and was residing in one of these Sanctuary cities. If you're here illegally, GET OUT.

Jill Meagher was murdered by a serial rapist who had been let out on parole despite having committed a dozen or so major sexual offences. She was literally hauled into an alleyway in Brunswick, raped, and then strangled, right in the middle of Melbourne. Just a few minutes from her house. The killer was the whitest person possible.

Immigrants don't have a monopoly on heinous crimes, and no larger category of person can be conclusively judged by the actions of a small percentage of individuals. Going by this picture, I could conclude that white men are the most dangerous criminals in Australia. But that isn't true. In any given group of people, a certain percentage are assholes. In any given group of assholes, a certain percentage are rapists and murderers. Some of them are in the US border patrol.

Should I judge the entire US border patrol by the acts of an individual? Should I judge the entire white population of Australia by the acts of an individual? Should you judge the entire immigrant population of the US by the acts of an individual? No. No, and no.

Did you miss the part where a illegal immigrant isn't supposed to be present to be capable of commiting any crime at all?

Pretty sure that's the point.

Fischgopf:

bastardofmelbourne:

Rayne360:
I have no sympathy for illegals. A friend of mine was raped by a man who had previously been deported 2 times and came back in and was residing in one of these Sanctuary cities. If you're here illegally, GET OUT.

Jill Meagher was murdered by a serial rapist who had been let out on parole despite having committed a dozen or so major sexual offences. She was literally hauled into an alleyway in Brunswick, raped, and then strangled, right in the middle of Melbourne. Just a few minutes from her house. The killer was the whitest person possible.

Immigrants don't have a monopoly on heinous crimes, and no larger category of person can be conclusively judged by the actions of a small percentage of individuals. Going by this picture, I could conclude that white men are the most dangerous criminals in Australia. But that isn't true. In any given group of people, a certain percentage are assholes. In any given group of assholes, a certain percentage are rapists and murderers. Some of them are in the US border patrol.

Should I judge the entire US border patrol by the acts of an individual? Should I judge the entire white population of Australia by the acts of an individual? Should you judge the entire immigrant population of the US by the acts of an individual? No. No, and no.

Did you miss the part where a illegal immigrant isn't supposed to be present to be capable of commiting any crime at all?

I guess all people should not be allowed anywhere. If no one is anywhere, no one can commit any crimes.

Fischgopf:

If that's the point, I can't make any sense out of it. Whether or not a person is "supposed" to be present to commit a crime is...well, shit, Adrien Bayley wasn't "supposed" to be in the alleyway where he raped and murdered Jill Meagher. He wasn't "supposed" to be out of prison in the first place. Where, exactly, is a person supposed to be when they commit a crime? Aren't they not supposed to commit a crime in the first place?

Isn't any rapist anywhere in the world not supposed to be where they currently are, because they are rapists and that is illegal and they ought to be in jail?

Zontar:
Saying that most illegal immigrants pay into the system (even if it isn't by enough to brake even even on most individual cases) is too unbelievable because it would then beg too many logical questions, such as how that can be happening if the government is trying to find and deport these people.

Illegal immigrants almost certainly are a net loss in terms of government finances.

Although bear in mind illegals can be a surprisingly low drain on public services... because they are either denied them or because accessing those services reveals themselves to the authorities and risks their deportation.

Whether they are a net loss in terms of the wider economy is far less clear. They overwhelmingly do jobs. They are providing goods and services to the economy - stuff for you and me - and profits to the business owners who employ them. The government may often want to deport them not because they are economically disadvantageous, but because maintaining standards of border integrity has its own point irrespective of economics, and because substantial numbers of voters want it done.

If we imagine 11 million illegals in the US, it is reasonable to assume doing low paid jobs (say, $15k on average) we're talking about $165 billion in salaries, and of course salaries are less than total economic productivity of work, because capitalists need their profits and so on. They pay taxes - not just because many need to register with tax authorities to get bank accounts, etc., but also things like sales tax when they buy stuff. They're also spending most of that money in the USA - rent, food, fuel, etc. - so their salaries work to pay for more jobs in the USA - from which the government also gets taxes.

After that, there are other indirect factors. Illegals buy stuff and support jobs - remove illegals, lose the jobs that service them. The labour provided by illegals may be necessary for some businesses to function. Remove the labour, those business go under, including job losses for the legals and citizens they also employ. And so on.

This is, I think, a strong reason for the ambivalence of the authorities to really push deportation: there is a significant risk of a weaker economy, and it loses elections. Add that to raising the taxes to effectively kicking them out from a notorious tax-hostile legislature, it's potentially a painful political option.

Allow me to regale you with a tale of baby Souplex back in 1992.
When I was one my illegal-immigrant nanny was walking me through Prospect Park when we came across a man lurching on a bicycle and holding his chest. He then died from a stab-wound given to him by someone who wanted to take his bike.
None of the illegal-immigrant nannies who witnessed this would talk to the police, for fear of being deported if they tried to cooperate.
This was before that bleeding-heart liberal Giuliani had instituted New York's sanctuary city policy.
Afterwards illegal immigrants felt safe cooperating with the authorities, and it made everyone's life better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here