New round of public opinion invitations from the FCC regarding net neutrality

So, I don't come in here often... I'm far too milquetoast for frequent political discussion on the internet

That said, regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, net neutrality seems to be the one and only issue in all of humanity that comes anywhere close to uniting the internet's vast political factions together in a single consensus, and since the issue hasn't been brought up yet, I thought I'd make a topic.

To the surprise of no-one, considering the man at the fore of the decision is a former lawyer for verizon, the US' net neutrality is on the chopping block again, this time with a much higher chance of being lost forever.

the FCC has opened itself up to public opinion on the matter once more, but have, quite probably intentionally, made the process of actually giving public opinion vastly more convoluted and difficult.

if you live in america, and have an opinion on net neutrality, feel free to make your voice heard:

1.) go to fcc.gov/ecfs/search-proceedings

2.) this will open the search page for public proceedings before the FCC, you'll need to enter the relevant proceeding number: 17-108, and hit the search button

3.) the "restoring internet freedoms" case will be the only search result, beneath it, press the "express" button.

4.) this will finally bring you to the comment bar, leave your opinion, lord knows you earned it after that wild goose chase.

having said all that, the site is probably still crashed. Jon Oliver did a video on the subject recently, and probably spurred a lot of traffic that way.

thoughts and feelings about the issue?

As an addendum, apparently Last Week Tonight With John Oliver has created a website that, if gone to, will do the first two steps for you, allowing you to just skip to clicking 'Express.'

GoFCCYourself.com, appropriately. =D

EDIT: Also, is it true what I'm hearing, that the process to leave a comment this time around is more of a pain in the ass than it was the last time net neutrality came up, a couple of years ago?

SeventhSigil:
As an addendum, apparently Last Week Tonight With John Oliver has created a website that, if gone to, will do the first two steps for you, allowing you to just skip to clicking 'Express.'

EDIT: Also, is it true what I'm hearing, that the process to leave a comment this time around is more of a pain in the ass than it was the last time net neutrality came up, a couple of years ago?

Oh yes, the current setup has the user jumping through hoops in an apparent to discourage people using the system to leave a comment. That's one of the prime reasons why John Oliver's crew created created the website to help everyone bypass the hurdles. It seems the new head of the FCC is appalled that the public is allowed to have an opinion on something and he doesn't want them mucking up his boss' attempts to ring more profit out of them (he used to work for Verizon, and quite frankly I don't think his loyalties have changed with the new job).

For some reason, the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy keeps coming to mind. Does anyone know if the FCC has a leopard?

davidmc1158:

SeventhSigil:

Oh yes, the current setup has the user jumping through hoops in an apparent to discourage people using the system to leave a comment. That's one of the prime reasons why John Oliver's crew created created the website to help everyone bypass the hurdles. It seems the new head of the FCC is appalled that the public is allowed to have an opinion on something and he doesn't want them mucking up his boss' attempts to ring more profit out of them (he used to work for Verizon, and quite frankly I don't think his loyalties have changed with the new job).

For some reason, the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy keeps coming to mind. Does anyone know if the FCC has a leopard?

Yup, sounds about right. -_- I mean, the administration has been reducing transparency left and right, so this would fall rather neatly in line with that.

Well when the new FCC head is a former Verizon lawyer who wants to roll back net neutrality protections, of course commenting on FCC measures is going to get more difficult. Now, there isn't a shred of proof to support the theory that the FCC comment system getting more convoluted actually has anything to do with its new leadership. BUT in any case that isn't something you want someone with the viewership of John Oliver to be convincing people.

I hope it works again, though. I put in my comment. The younger generation really is going to have to pull the weight in this issue. Getting the older generation to understand or respect this issue is like drawing blood from a stone. I remember talking with my dad about net neutrality 3 years ago when that first segment came out. He was convinced net neutrality was "Obamacare for the Internet" and that passing it would make internet prices spike.

Now, you might be asking what does "Obamacare for the Internet" even mean? How does one thing relate to the other in even the broadest of terms? It makes as much sense as the phrase "yoga for the sun" or "counseling for electricity." Well it doesn't make sense, but that's the point. It's a term the cronies on the right bought out by telecom companies threw around to combine one thing ring wing baby boomers don't fully understand and aren't always sure they like (the Internet) with another thing right wing baby boomers don't fully understand but are absolutely certain they don't like (Obamacare).

Well I just put in my 2 cents. Not that it's going to do a lot of good, but it's something.

SeventhSigil:

Unfortunately either the FCC site cut that link so it no longer works, or it got so flooded that it just doesn't display.

Lilani:
Well when the new FCC head is a former Verizon lawyer who wants to roll back net neutrality protections, of course commenting on FCC measures is going to get more difficult. Now, there isn't a shred of proof to support the theory that the FCC comment system getting more convoluted actually has anything to do with its new leadership. BUT in any case that isn't something you want someone with the viewership of John Oliver to be convincing people.

I hope it works again, though. I put in my comment. The younger generation really is going to have to pull the weight in this issue. Getting the older generation to understand or respect this issue is like drawing blood from a stone. I remember talking with my dad about net neutrality 3 years ago when that first segment came out. He was convinced net neutrality was "Obamacare for the Internet" and that passing it would make internet prices spike.

Now, you might be asking what does "Obamacare for the Internet" even mean? How does one thing relate to the other in even the broadest of terms? It makes as much sense as the phrase "yoga for the sun" or "counseling for electricity." Well it doesn't make sense, but that's the point. It's a term the cronies on the right bought out by telecom companies threw around to combine one thing ring wing baby boomers don't fully understand and aren't always sure they like (the Internet) with another thing right wing baby boomers don't fully understand but are absolutely certain they don't like (Obamacare).

Keep in mind Wheeler was a telecom lobbyist before her was appointed and he did a lot to raise the protections for net neutrality and net privacy. I seriously bout this one will be so willing no matter how much popular support it gets, but no one expected the orange bastard to get elected either and yet here we are.

Worgen:

Keep in mind Wheeler was a telecom lobbyist before her was appointed and he did a lot to raise the protections for net neutrality and net privacy. I seriously bout this one will be so willing no matter how much popular support it gets, but no one expected the orange bastard to get elected either and yet here we are.

Wheeler WAS looking like ruling in favour of the corporations on net neutrality, untill Obama stepped in and made a big statement on how net neutrality was a good, and necessary thing. This is what got the GOP saying net neutrality was 'Obamacare for the Internet'.

Thank you for the information.
I've put in my two cents for all they're worth.

If pennies are good for anything, we can at least pelt politicians with them.

Eclipse Dragon:

That's inefficient

Fill socks with the pennies and beat the shit out of them

undeadsuitor:

Eclipse Dragon:

That's inefficient

Fill socks with the pennies and beat the shit out of them

I prefer bars of soap.

I'm trying to leave a comment, but the submit button isn't doing anything when I click it. I tried multiple browsers including garbage vanilla IE, anyone else have this issue?

How best to put this? You know how Verizon decided not to do maintenance on its phone lines (which was required of them as per contracts and such) all because they wanted to force people onto a different service that not everybody wanted and that independent services that they were required to work with would not be able to use caused a great deal of commotion? Think of that kind of blatant dirty-dealing and know that it WILL happen to you if the running of the internet is not kept out of the hands of businesses. Remember that a company's charm only lasts as long as they have to tolerate you. If they didn't have to, they would just dictate terms and leave you hurting oh-so-badly.

I love me. I love being me. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here