BREAKING: James Comey, FBI head, has been fired

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

BREAKING NEWS:Trump fires FBI Director James Comey

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump abruptly fired FBI Director James Comey Tuesday, saying it was necessary to restore "public trust and confidence" in the nation's top law enforcement agency following several tumultuous months.

"The FBI is one of our nation's most cherished and respected institutions, and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement," Trump said in a statement.

The White House said the search for a new FBI director was beginning immediately.

The White House made the stunning announcement shortly after the FBI corrected a sentence in Comey's sworn testimony on Capitol Hill last week. Comey told lawmakers that Huma Abedin, a top aide to Hillary Clinton, had sent "hundreds and thousands" of emails to her husband's laptop, including some with classified information.

On Tuesday, the FBI said in a two-page letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee that only "a small number" of the thousands of emails found on the laptop had been forwarded there while most had simply been backed up from electronic devices. Most of the email chains on the laptop containing classified information were not the result of forwarding, the FBI said.

Comey, 56, was nominated by President Barack Obama for the FBI post in 2013 to a 10-year term. Praised for his independence and integrity, Comey has spent three decades in law enforcement and has been no stranger to controversy.

So, Comey has been fired. On the one hand, I felt that Comey really screwed up last year with his whole "We've reopened the Clinton Probe" a few weeks before the Election and needed to be fired for it. On the other hand, I wasn't expecting Trump to actually fire him himself. On top of that, Trump will now try to pick a very Pro-Trump replacement that the spineless Senate will pick, which could very well lead to the end of the Russian Interfering in the 2016 Election. It could also make the FBI into the KGB of the USA.

Apparently, the FBI had no idea this was happening, but either way, I don't expect most of the Intelligence Community to like this, especially since Trump is already on thin-ice with his 'deep state' Bull.

What do you guys think?

Oh please, Sessions doesn't even piss without Trump telling him to. This is Trump freaking out about those grand juries being convened to investigate over 40 people in a RICO case involving Trump and Russia ties.

Its another Saturday night massacre for Trump to try to cover his ass. Make sure everyone around him is a yes man.

Well, He must feel great about f***ing up the election for Hillary at the last minute with more email bulls*** now. That really worked out well for him, didn't it?

Comey's had a number of slip-ups recently, so I can't say I'm entirely surprised. But this certainly was...abrupt. Either way I guess we can forget about those investigations into Russia going much further.

Lilani:
Comey's had a number of slip-ups recently, so I can't say I'm entirely surprised. But this certainly was...abrupt. Either way I guess we can forget about those investigations into Russia going much further.

I'd like to see him try to make the rest of the country forget about those investigations.

While my conspiracy-theory sense is tingling, I have no idea what to make of this. Smoke is everywhere but I have yet to find the definitive fire. It feels like magic trick with just the turn and no prestige.

Epyc Wynn:

Lilani:

I'd like to see him try to make the rest of the country forget about those investigations.

Oh I'm sure everyone will give him hell about it. But if there are two things Trump is good at, they're doing whatever the hell he wants by whatever means necessary, and distracting people from one horrible thing he's done with yet another horrible thing. My prediction is all investigations and proceedings will stall out, and when people get too noisy about it he'll say or do something horrible to get people outraged about something else for a while. Then just rinse and repeat until people lose interest and give up.

Honestly I think the hardest part about dealing with his administration will be retaining fresh outrage to hold him accountable. He won't allow himself to be held accountable. We have VIDEO EVIDENCE of him contradicting himself and making bold-faced lies, but he STILL won't answer for it. And anyone who tries to hold him accountable becomes an enemy. It takes a lot to get any politician to say something like they're wrong or they changed their mind, but this guy is straight up gaslighting the country. And the worst part is it's working.

Wow...Trump firing James Comey after he sabotaged Clinton mere days before the election to boost Trump sounds incredibly ungrateful of him. I mean, its good to know the man who may have forced the world to endure a Trump presidency is out of a job but with Trump being the one to fire him it sounds kind of tacky.

So this is how you drain a swamp.

Hades:
Wow...Trump firing James Comey after he sabotaged Clinton mere days before the election to boost Trump sounds incredibly ungrateful of him. I mean, its good to know the man who may have forced the world to endure a Trump presidency is out of a job but with Trump being the one to fire him it sounds kind of tacky.

except he was also the one in charge of the Trump/Russia investigation

it's rather amazing how Trump seems to be doing everything in his power to make him look guilty in that investigation

Ehh...who really needs accountability these days anyway? Justice is overrated when you're the goddamn fucking president of the yeww-ess-ayyye! What are they gonna do, eh? Nothing! See? Nothing.

Oh look, more vindication that Trump is a evil tyrant.

And all at the recommendation of Jeff Sessions.

Yeah, this isn't a coincidence at all with regards to Comey testifying before the Senate committee on the Russian ties to the Trump administration.

I wouldn't be surprised if the investigation gets killed. The fallout of this will be interesting to see in the coming days and weeks, and I really do hope that this bites them in the ass in the near future.

Then again, the American people tend to have short memories when it comes to these things around election time, so time will tell if this will come back to haunt the administration or not. I'm leaning towards 'no', but, then again, stranger things have happened.

Doesn't this mean Trump just fired the head of the organisation that was investigating Trump?

Gee, nothing remotely swampy about that, eh?

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy though.

From what I understand of the whole reopening the Clinton email right before election, Comey didn't actually tell the press. He told congress (cause he was legally obliged to inform them of any new information) and then congress (republican) leaked that to the press.

Anyway, this is just messed up that he can fire the people investigating him and that the republican will just let that pass like it was nothing. McCain and Graham better raise fucking hell about this or I'm seriously going to stop considering the US as a democracy.

That is the ugliest signature I have ever seen. Only a craven sociopath could write cursive like that.

Yes, yes, Trump is bad and all that as well. I doubt if anything as overt as an end to the Russia investigation will happen, but who knows?

Interesting and more interesting is the fact that Trump fired Comey hours after the FBI issued subpoenas for Flynn's paperwork which the White House has refused to provide to investigators.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/fbi/332670-grand-jury-subpoenas-issued-in-fbi-russia-probe-report

Adding to the growing shit-storm Sessions was apparently ordered to find a reason to fire Comey.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332651-sessions-was-told-to-find-reasons-to-fire-comey-reports

It is noteworthy that Sessions is being called out for taking part in Comey's firing despite recusing himself from the investigation into Russia's involvement with the election.

We'll see if this gets Trump impeached or not. And if does, will the US get another civil war? Large numbers of police and military support him, so I'll be curious if they'll turn traitor like Trump is if he's impeached.

I wanna hear someone defend this or try to play devils advocate.

Parasondox:
I wanna hear someone defend this or try to play devils advocate.

Im pretty sure the Devil is grasping at straws at this point

Okay, a lot of people in here seem to be taking this rather lightly, so I want to say right now: this is easily the most serious thing Trump has done since taking office.

He's fired the head of the agency that was investigating him. This isn't "like Watergate"; this literally is a repeat of Watergate.

This is serious fucking shit. If this doesn't kick the GOP's ass in gear, nothing will.

bastardofmelbourne:
Okay, a lot of people in here seem to be taking this rather lightly, so I want to say right now: this is easily the most serious thing Trump has done since taking office.

He's fired the head of the agency that was investigating him. This isn't "like Watergate"; this literally is a repeat of Watergate.

This is serious fucking shit. If this doesn't kick the GOP's ass in gear, nothing will.

I fully agree what you are saying but it will not kick the GOPs ass into gear. People are going to shrug it off and accept this bullshit. THEY SHOULDNT!!!

Wow I can't wait till nothing comes of this.

Parasondox:

bastardofmelbourne:

I fully agree what you are saying but it will not kick the GOPs ass into gear. People are going to shrug it off and accept this bullshit. THEY SHOULDNT!!!

The thing is GOP is probably the most powerful it's ever been. They control the house and the Senate, most states are red and the Democrats cannot stop any of their laws from passing but at the same time it's quite clear The Republican Party will fall apart Soon if anything big happens. More young people are going Democrat and a lot of modern conservatives are sick of the Republican Party's bullshit. This is probably the reason AHCA hasn't passed. Even though a lot of them want to pass it they are terrified of the backlash. They know their on thin ice and if the Russian type things turn out to be true it could destroy the Republican Party as we know it. The Republican Party will try as hard as he can to pretend this is not happening. They will not lose there power not after they finally gain full control.

InsanityRequiem:
And if does, will the US get another civil war?

No. It would be a civil police action at most. Probably a group of fairly tame riots or protests (depending on how hamhandedly the impeachment is handled).

Given the track record of Trump's nominations, I'm guessing Comey's replacement will be some extremist militia leader who fantasizes about killing federal agents.

Lisker84:
Given the track record of Trump's nominations, I'm guessing Comey's replacement will be some extremist militia leader who fantasizes about killing federal agents.

Ammon Bundy hasn't been in the news of late. I'm sure Trump can see value with him as the director of the FBI.

Lisker84:

Perhaps, but how many of those kinds of people are billionaires? Not many, I'd imagine.

Poor Comey, tried to play both sides and lost. Well, we'll say "lost" after seeing what he does now that he's out of the public sector.

Seanchaidh:

Lisker84:

Perhaps, but how many of those kinds of people are billionaires? Not many, I'd imagine.

Well we're in luck, his secretary of Education just so happens to be the sister of Erik Prince, the founder of the Blackwater Private Military Company, currently called Academi. I'm sure he's either a billionaire or close to it.

Dunno his stance on killing federal agents, but given his employees penchant for killing Iraqi civilians and purposely impeding Congressional oversight committee inquiries into the deaths of his own men, I'm sure he's got a nifty price chart on how much something like that would cost. Staffing the FBI with private mercenaries would also surely help save taxpayer money, and get us started on that lovely dystopian cyberpunk future I know we are all eagerly waiting for.

Hell, he's apparently already unofficially represented the Trump transition team back in January at a clandestine meeting in the Seychelles, that's like half of the start of a Metal Gear Solid plot right there, Trump truly does know all the best people.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
And all at the recommendation of Jeff Sessions.

Who recused himself from the Russia probe and therefore should not have intervened at all. This is a gross abuse of power and an obvious cover up. Trump is too stupid to get away with it though. A smart and rational person wouldn't have done something like this. The official reason for firing makes no sense because it has existed since he won the election. So why fire him now, a week after Comey testified and a day after Sally Yates testified?

Lisker84:

It wouldn't surprise me if he were to nominate that insane fascist sheriff David Clarke.

Here I am stuck in a quandary, that I think James Comey did deserve to be fired for his clumsy handling of the Clinton emails at a critical point in the election, but that removing him now whilst he's overseeing an investigation of the president looks like attempting to derail the investigation.

Agema:
Here I am stuck in a quandary, that I think James Comey did deserve to be fired for his clumsy handling of the Clinton emails at a critical point in the election, but that removing him now whilst he's overseeing an investigation of the president looks like attempting to derail the investigation.

Well, its like North Korea, and Health Care, and Immigration Reform. They all need to be dealt with...but not by Trump.

Saelune:

Agema:

Well, its like North Korea, and Health Care, and Immigration Reform. They all need to be dealt with...but not by Trump.

Bit of hyperbole. It's more like a Chiang Kai Shek's Taiwan. Honestly, Comey was tearing up the backyard even when chained up. Apparently the FBI was in a shambles... close to being a rogue organization. A lot of power and little self regulating. Keep in my mind... for all of Comey's failings, none of them are directly relateable to the Russian investigation.

So batten down the hatches, there be a shitstorm on the horizon. Hopefully both sides of Congress demand their own independent congressional inquest.

Agema:

Comey is a conflicting character, to me. While initially I thought his handling of the Clinton emails was shady as all hell, his later actions and statements rationalising it were...persuasive. He seems like a genuinely principled person trying his hardest to navigate a series of difficult choices.

If Clinton had become president, she wouldn't have fired Comey. She would have no reason to; Comey basically had no intention of prosecuting her and said so twice, because there simply was no substance to the email allegations. It would be a politically dangerous move with no upside.

For Trump to fire Comey now is the opposite scenario. There is a clear upside for Trump; it stalls and risks sinking the FBI investigation into collusion between Trump and Russia. Trump doesn't want the Russia investigation to continue - for whatever reason - and he's doing the same thing he did with the congressional inquiry; interfering in the process, again and again, in the hopes that it'll all blow over. And it's bullshit. There is no possible world where it is ethically acceptable for the President to fire the head of an agency that is currently investigating the President. And frankly, seeing the rhetorical gymnastics of some of Trump's spokespersons - looking at you, Kellyanne - makes me fucking nauseous.

This is a terrible scenario. Just before this, news came around that Trump had been massively reshaping federal appeals courts by aggressively appointing batches of conservative nominees to existing court vacancies. Now he's fired the head of the FBI. It's beyond absurd.

bastardofmelbourne:

its not a repeat of watergate.. nixon wasnt stupid enough to go as far as sacking the head of the fbi haha

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here