President Donald Trump publicly threatens James Comey

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/12/politics/donald-trump-james-comey-threat/index.html

So the President of the United States publicly threatens a citizen with retaliation if said citizen speaks to the media or tells anyone anything, even if said information may pertain directly to why that citizen lost their job or reveal the agenda of the President.

Huh.

Didn't know this was what "greatness" was supposed to feel like.

Dont worry, once he replaces the FBI with one of his goons, then look forward to criticizing him getting SWAT at your house.

Trumps sheer incompetency is baffling. Why would he make such threaths in public? And does he really think Comey will be intimidated?

The intentions behind this are utterly vile and corrupt of course, but I am more struck by how transparent and stupid Trump is about this.

Pseudonym:
Trumps sheer incompetency is baffling. Why would he make such threaths in public? And does he really think Comey will be intimidated?

The intentions behind this are utterly vile and corrupt of course, but I am more struck by how transparent and stupid Trump is about this.

The short answer is that Trump is quite possibly the weakest man in America. He thinks acting like a blustery shithead will fix this, because it's worked for him in the past. And he'll keep doing it until his syphilitic neurons finally connect the dots that no amount of reality TV catch phrases and tweets will get him out of this.

People voted for and still support this man. I just...why?

If there are recordings, I totally bet that they would in truth make Trump look far worse than Comey. Part of Donald's strategy has been to make hollow, daring statements that rely on never being challenged; a bluff that only works so long as nobody calls it. This is in large part because it makes it appear that if the People had access to all the information, Trump would be vindicated! All the while, he relies on the fact that the People will never, actually, have access to all the information, or they'll simply believe his word so devotedly they'll never bother to check. (As an example, I refer you to the 'Obama Lied At A Protester' schtick.)

I am all but certain that any recordings of Donald Trump and Comey speaking would only serve to weaken Trump's position, and that he is relying on Comey keeping his mouth shut for other reasons. (For one, as FBI Director he would presumably be legally bound not to comment on either classified matters or an active investigation, something that former CIA Director Clapper was similarly restrained by. For another, Trump might just legit set out to destroy Comey, dude has an entire chapter in one book dedicated to revenge.) Meanwhile, though, anyone suitably gullible will see Comey keeping his mouth shut and assume 'Gasp! He's keeping quiet because he knows Senpai Trump has the REAL FACTS, not the FAKE NEWS!'

https://twitter.com/MikeEmanuelFox/status/863063885473042432/photo/1

So a Democrat who is on the House Oversight Committee has wasted precisely zero time jumping on this with a letter politely requesting the following;

1) Confirmation as to whether such tapes exist, and,
2) If they do, then would you be so kind as to provide the House Oversight Committee with all tapes that had discussions between Trump and Comey, conversations about hiring and firing Flynn, AND the conversation held between Trump and his two recent Russian visitors, since the American media wasn't on hand to provide such details.

This could be interesting.

BeetleManiac:

Pseudonym:

The short answer is that Trump is quite possibly the weakest man in America. He thinks acting like a blustery shithead will fix this, because it's worked for him in the past. And he'll keep doing it until his syphilitic neurons finally connect the dots that no amount of reality TV catch phrases and tweets will get him out of this.

Trump is old and an idiot. I expect him to keep doing this until he dies. I doubt Trump thinks acting like he does will fix anything. It's just the way he acts and has always acted. He can't help himself and can probably barely conceive an alternative.

erttheking:

There are a bunch of reasons - the two biggest are:

1: The laymen, idiots and other people of either ill-repute or or undesirable traits (IE: The open and closet racists, warmongers etc.) placed their hopes fully in Donald Trump above all others. If Donald Trump is ever proven wrong or worse, it will be seen as a wholesale rejection and possible destruction of their entire ideology and worldview - in their eyes their last, best hope will have been defeated. This is simply unacceptable.

2: The GOP is terrified of Trump - or rather, taking him down. Because if they do, if the get Nixon 2.0 on their hands or worse, it could very well be the end of the GOP forever. The Democrats will be able to hang and whip them in the public square with their own rope for possibly a hundred years or more, basically permanently removing the GOP from power.

It's why you see GOP members like Sen. McCain, or even commentators like Sean Hannity struggling with this - because what President Trump is doing is so incredibly obviously suspect, unethical and perhaps even illegal but to call him out on it could potentially end their entire political ideology.

SeventhSigil:
If there are recordings, I totally bet that they would in truth make Trump look far worse than Comey. Part of Donald's strategy has been to make hollow, daring statements that rely on never being challenged; a bluff that only works so long as nobody calls it. This is in large part because it makes it appear that if the People had access to all the information, Trump would be vindicated! All the while, he relies on the fact that the People will never, actually, have access to all the information, or they'll simply believe his word so devotedly they'll never bother to check. (As an example, I refer you to the 'Obama Lied At A Protester' schtick.)

I am all but certain that any recordings of Donald Trump and Comey speaking would only serve to weaken Trump's position, and that he is relying on Comey keeping his mouth shut for other reasons. (For one, as FBI Director he would presumably be legally bound not to comment on either classified matters or an active investigation, something that former CIA Director Clapper was similarly restrained by. For another, Trump might just legit set out to destroy Comey, dude has an entire chapter in one book dedicated to revenge.) Meanwhile, though, anyone suitably gullible will see Comey keeping his mouth shut and assume 'Gasp! He's keeping quiet because he knows Senpai Trump has the REAL FACTS, not the FAKE NEWS!'

This is the thing that gets me; Trump would utterly come apart if someone or a group with power actually stood up to him. Forced him to actually have to stand his ground and defend himself rather than immediately seceding the win to him. It happened all the time in business - it's why he never went after people who he knew could fight back, and lost all the time when the person he attacked suddenly found a way to fight back.

It's why on the campaign trail he almost completely got derailed both times Senator Sanders stood up to him, and why Sec. Clinton did better when she actually got a bit dirty and went after him - because he isn't actually capable of defending himself. It's all flash, no bang.

erttheking:

The answer is as sad you probably think it is.

This is not normal. This man has just insinuated that he is recording people in the Oval office. How is anybody supposed to trust him after this? Secretly recording government officials and then using that to publicly threaten and blackmail a possible congressional witness? This is obstruction of justice. It's also ground for impeachment. If a Democratic president did something like this the impeachment process would be well on its way by now. But somehow this imbecile can say stuff like this and get away with it like it's nothing. The amount of damage that this fuckin' moron does to the US on a daily basis is mind blowing.

The fact that he's still safe is a shitstain on the GOP as a whole. Those people are traitors to their own country.

SeventhSigil:
If there are recordings, I totally bet that they would in truth make Trump look far worse than Comey.

And what would Comey have to lose anyway? His job? This moron didn't think for 5 seconds before tweeting that drivel.

SeventhSigil:
Part of Donald's strategy has been to make hollow, daring statements that rely on never being challenged; a bluff that only works so long as nobody calls it.

Yeah, and it's a retarded strategy because it's making him look as guilty as sin.

makes perfect sense when you consider that he cant tolerate being seen as weak, hes a control freak who needs to be seen as the strong man even if he digs himself a hole

apparently hes saying its not a threat now haha

What a fucking idiot.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

There's a saying down my way: it's better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

Besides, President Trump has been insisting that the Russia ties, such as they are, are totally above board. If that was true he should have just let the investigation reach its conclusion because then he'd have been able to stand on top of the steps of the capitol and basically slap the Democratic Party (again) with it and forever taint any other accusations of such collusion with "This again, really?".

But sacking Comey means that isn't going to be the conversation, is it? It's forever going to be "Why did you fire this man 8 days after he asked for more investigation resources into a matter you insist will find nothing?".

Perhaps Mr. Trump likes how Nixon is portrayed on Futurama, and wants to be memorably infamous like him. Any good showman knows that you should exaggerate the things that are already abnormal to create a memorable character. That's basically Donald Trump's whole life.

erttheking:

That's a pretty big question, man.

I mean, let's be honest here, it's not by any means unusual that criminal occupy positions of government. If you're the leader of a country, chances are you've got some dirt on your hands.. any hierarchical power structure will inevitably favour people with little regard for ethics. That's why there's a lot wrong with the notion of a social hierarchy.

Nevertheless, America has it especially bad, and honestly, I blame the media to a large extent. Funnily enough they now pretend they've been against Trump all along which would be funny if it wasn't very sad. There's a funny little compilation of scenes from movies which Trump has had cameos in. Trump hosted a television for a pretty long time. Even well after it was clear what kind of views he held. The media has normalized Trump and his ideology for decades and then they're surprised that noone listens to them when they suddenly come to their senses and say "This is not normal!"? Gimme a break.

I'm not gonna give you all a lecture about how fascism is the inevitable conclusion of a capitalist society but I'm gonna tell you one thing: the idea of turning information and art into a business is inherently toxic. It's better than state run media, sure, but that doesn't make it any better. I hope I'm not hypocritical when I paraphrase Jon Stewart who once remarked that Trump is a politician who "makes sense filtered through the bubble of talk radio" and the man's onto something here.

When news media is treated as a business with the purpose to make money off of its viewers rather than an endeavor with only the selfless purpose to inform it's gonna construct a world around its viewers that's not quite the one we actually live in. Make no mistake, media wants you to be afraid. To panic. To look to them for guidance. To them, not to the competition. If media has any objections to giving a nazi a platform then they are financial, not moral.

Again, watch that compilation on YouTube, the stuff Trumps been on. You have perfectly innocent movies and shows there. Home Alone 2, The Fresh Prince, The Nanny... they had what would become the figurehead of a far right terrorist group eventually taking control of the country on bloody childrens movies and family sitcoms! That's one of those thing people in 50 years sill look back on and wonder just what in the world was wrong with our generation.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's all there is to it but I am gonna say it's one of the largest factors. The media shapes how people think, how they view the world and in its current form, especially in America it was going to sensationalize more and more extreme views until they became normal to people. They're trying to backpedal on it now but it doesn't undo decades of damage. That's the power of indoctrination. Makes people roll out the red carpet so that organized crime can walk right into government.

apparently its not an empty threat either hes got a history dating back to the 80's of secretly recording conversations

PsychedelicDiamond:
There's a funny little compilation of scenes from movies which Trump has had cameos in. Trump hosted a television for a pretty long time. Even well after it was clear what kind of views he held. The media has normalized Trump and his ideology for decades and then they're surprised that noone listens to them when they suddenly come to their senses and say "This is not normal!"? Gimme a break.

You seem to be conflating entertainment media and news media as if they're a singular entity of deliberate ideological purpose.
And while a compelling argument for that could be made, I think it's a different one to what you seem to be saying here.
'Media' is a marketplace of tastes vying for attention, whereas actual journalistic criticism of the governing bodies as a function of a free and healthy civilisation is a bit different. I think the current situation has just put a fire under the arses of news media to realise this again, like any significant democratic crisis will.

I think Donald Trump has realised that being president is more trouble than it's worth, and now he's deliberately trying to get fired so that he can GTFO without making it look like he surrendered.

"Resign? What?! No! It was the corrupt Washington establishwamp that kicked me out! The system is too broken to change! I'm going golfing! Sad!"

bastardofmelbourne:
I think Donald Trump has realised that being president is more trouble than it's worth, and now he's deliberately trying to get fired so that he can GTFO without making it look like he surrendered.

"Resign? What?! No! It was the corrupt Washington establishwamp that kicked me out! The system is too broken to change! I'm going golfing! Sad!"

That would require him to think before he speaks or before he does something. And he's got a history of doing the exact opposite that goes back decades.

bastardofmelbourne:

See, I would think it would be the other way around. Where Trump would rather resign with "dignity", probably citing fake health issues or needing to run his company than actually get impeached. Because impeachment would open up A LOT of cans of worms for him and would probably dig deep enough to uncover a whole heap of stuff on his and his administration's fault.

It's better to quit than be fired.

This is like Venom telling people "You better not make loud noises near me". Highlighting your weakness while trying to threaten someone else. I used to think that Trump didn't understand the difference between being a busynessman and being a president. This forces me to rescind that statement and insted issue the following: Donald Trump doesn't know the difference between the presidency and the WWE

"Uhh, did I say tapes of our conversations? I meant rates of our condensations...in the white house, see? Far too much condensations! Leaking all over the press equipment and everything. Somebody delete that tweet please! What do you mean it's too late??"

What a fucking shitshow.

This is your President, citizens of the USA. Some of you may not have voted for him but your fellow countrymen and women did. He makes Boris Johnson look fucking sane and that man was my Mayor.

Good Luck.

The man is demented.

And I'm not speaking figuratively.

I mean he is literally, medically demented. He is showing (and has been showing for quite some time) many signs of early dementia, the sort of things you see in Alzheimer's, for example.

Comey has agreed to testify, only in a public forum.

For a moment there I thought Comey was bluffing when he went silent, saying he didn't want to testify.

But if he is only willing to testify in a public forum...

I would bet money this is going to be the damning note against Donald Trump.

Will that be Trump's final word on he matter? Tune in next time...

Paragon Fury:

There are a bunch of reasons - the two biggest are:

1: The laymen, idiots and other people of either ill-repute or or undesirable traits (IE: The open and closet racists, warmongers etc.) placed their hopes fully in Donald Trump above all others. If Donald Trump is ever proven wrong or worse, it will be seen as a wholesale rejection and possible destruction of their entire ideology and worldview - in their eyes their last, best hope will have been defeated. This is simply unacceptable.

The reason he won wasn't because this is true, it's because many Democrats who have never even seen a Republican in person think it's true.

2: The GOP is terrified of Trump - or rather, taking him down. Because if they do, if the get Nixon 2.0 on their hands or worse, it could very well be the end of the GOP forever. The Democrats will be able to hang and whip them in the public square with their own rope for possibly a hundred years or more, basically permanently removing the GOP from power.

It's why you see GOP members like Sen. McCain, or even commentators like Sean Hannity struggling with this - because what President Trump is doing is so incredibly obviously suspect, unethical and perhaps even illegal but to call him out on it could potentially end their entire political ideology.

While you're right that the GOP establishment types hate and fear Trump, but just going after him like any other isn't exactly smart. No Democrats went after Obama when he continued and expanded the Bush era war crimes and crimes against humanity that that administration started.

It also doesn't help that the GOP establishment is doomed. They haven't learned that pandering to Latinos will not work (even if you offer them an objectively better platform for their political leanings and aren't racist against them when compared to the Democrats, who call them "Taco bowls" when they think no one's looking), they don't understand that the American right has moved on from neoconservatism, they don't understand that the young right is libertarian, not authoritarian, and that the modern right isn't in a state where everything can be boiled down to a price tag.

The reason Trump won was because he was the only one who even acknowledged the existence of massive problems America is facing. Say what you will about his proposed solutions (and the cartoonish image the far left painted of them), the fact he even had them made him, in the eyes of those who have to deal with those problems, objectively better then anyone else.

One of the biggest reasons I'm happy Trump won is because of the 2020 election. Has Clinton won, there would realistically be a 0% chance of any of the problems even being addressed, and a 100% chance of them getting worst. She would be a one term president and whoever managed to sweep the GOP would likely have made Trump look moderate by comparison.

Zontar:
The reason he won wasn't because this is true, it's because many Democrats who have never even seen a Republican in person think it's true.

Yes, hi, hello, I know three Republicans like this. I call them Mom, Dad and cunt little sister.

erttheking:

Zontar:

Yes, hi, hello, I know three Republicans like this. I call them Mom, Dad and cunt little sister.

you must have fun family get togethers

pookie101:

erttheking:

Zontar:

My Mom and Dad are honestly good people. It's just that they have...icky viewpoints. My mom is utterly sweet, but she doesn't think white and black people should marry, while my dad just has all the stereotypical tea party supporter problems, including thinking that younger kids shouldn't know about LGBT people.

No praise for my sister though, fuck her. Said something about how "all immigrants are rapists." She says she didn't, but I know what I heard, she was right next to me.

erttheking:

Zontar:

Are- are you my brother?

erttheking:

pookie101:

erttheking:

My Mom and Dad are honestly good people. It's just that they have...icky viewpoints. My mom is utterly sweet, but she doesn't think white and black people should marry, while my dad just has all the stereotypical tea party supporter problems, including thinking that younger kids shouldn't know about LGBT people.

No praise for my sister though, fuck her. Said something about how "all immigrants are rapists." She says she didn't, but I know what I heard, she was right next to me.

Your family sounds similar to my exs family. Sorry you had to be around those view points. Unhealthy as they may be.

erttheking:

Zontar:

My entire immediate family voted for Trump; I'm the only one who didn't (I voted for Gary Johnson).

My mom is still overtly Trump, too, even though she's not as Racist as your mother appears to be.

Mr.Mattress:

erttheking:

Zontar:

My entire immediate family voted for Trump; I'm the only one who didn't (I voted for Gary Johnson).

My mom is still overtly Trump, too, even though she's not as Racist as your mother appears to be.

It's weird because that's the only racist thing she thinks (that I know of) and she's usually such a sweetheart

Zontar:
One of the biggest reasons I'm happy Trump won is because of the 2020 election. Has Clinton won, there would realistically be a 0% chance of any of the problems even being addressed, and a 100% chance of them getting worst. She would be a one term president and whoever managed to sweep the GOP would likely have made Trump look moderate by comparison.

I'm not going to claim anything would have gotten better under Clinton, but the AHCA alone threatened to take health insurance away from millions of people, while drastically raising the cost of healthcare for the poor and elderly, all while giving the rich massive tax breaks. There's a reason lots of Republicans are pants-shitting scared of townhalls right now.

On top of that, Trump is such an enemy of the minimum wage he's actually said he thinks it should be lower. He's rolling back environmental protections, he wants to roll back the bank regulations put in place after the housing market crash to prevent subprime lending from putting us in a recession again, the GOP and his FCC head want to take Title II protection away from internet access, his daughter and son-in-law have been awarded high-ranking positions in the White House, he blocks unfavorable media outlets from covering him, he gets his information straight from FOX news, he baits and mocks the leaders of other countries on Twitter, tens of millions of extra tax dollars spent so his wife and kid can live in New York and he can visit his golf resort in Florida every other weekend, deals with China that directly benefit his business (which he has not put into a blind trust)...

Oh yeah--and he's firing those who investigate him for stuff. Yeah, this is behavior that's totally not going to hurt us one bit.

To me, the choice between Hillary and Donald was like the choice between having a firecracker shoved up your ass, or a C4 charge. Like neither is really a good choice, but one is clearly more dangerous and volatile than the other. At least with Hillary we could expect 4 years of run-of-the-mill American political shenanigans. No real progress, but also no cozying up to Russia or firing on Syria and North Korea out of the blue.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here