Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump?s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.
The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump?s decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump?s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/ar-BBBaWuJ?li=BBnb7Kz

So during that meeting that he met with the spy recruiter under investigation by the FBI, CIA and Senate, he also revealed highly classified information that we have not even shared with allies as we should get permission from the source prior to doing so due to it putting the source in danger. These actions very well could blow the cover of those risking their lives to provide it. Trump has been shown repeatedly that he cannot be trusted with handling sensitive information due to his ignorance of how these things work and is egotistical desire to impress people with his "great Intel" . Since he can declassify anything he feels like at the time, he thinks he can just speak freely and what does it matter if it gets people killed or endangers their current operations? But Russia can be trusted right? Just like he could trust them not to plaster their pics all over state media? but but he was " tricked" no, he was a dumbass, is a dumbass and will be a dumbass tomorrow and people put him in charge...

Of course he did. The man has been the front for Russian mobsters to launder money for decades. The Russians probably sold him his wife. He'll do anything for them.
I'm just amazed he's not bragging about it, claiming that Russia is a powerful ally and they're so strong, very powerful, very good. Everyone knows it, everyone says it. They say to me 'Mr President, be nicer to Russia. They're very powerful' So I was.

He is indeed a dumbass, and really should have never become President at all. Unfortunately, because the President basically has Carte Blanche when it comes to revealing Sensitive Information, he won't get impeached over this. But Republicans all over have to be getting fed up with Trump's stupidity, even if Congress won't get rid of him.

Will this lead to any accountability? Any...thing whatsoever? Or will the repubs just stonewall everybody as long as they get to maintain power? They seem to be not bothered with credibility at all since the Trump victory. Kinda worrying on many levels.
There has to be a breaking point with all this activity. What will it take to remove these cretins? Trump shooting someone on live television? They're taking the piss.

Even if he discussed the "Threats" without discussing specific operations, though according to the Washington post, they had to withhold information (such as city name disclosed ect) discussing those guarding such weapons/ technology plans know who those plans, weapons, and information has been shared with and they very well may be putting those people on the ground that infiltrated in terrible danger.

Russia has been bombing our allies on the ground repeatedly while aiding Assad, including right after the US supposedly "warned Assad" by hitting their airbase without doing any damage or actually helping the people there.

McMasters wouldn't even address the content of what the Washington post reported, since Washington post did not even say they revealed sources or operations, however, the source and operation may be able to be found via deductive reasoning through the discussion of the threats alone.

Then he should be impeached immediately for his betrayal of the country. He is a traitor to this entire country and the world-wide intelligence community.

Lil devils x:

Russia has been bombing our allies on the ground repeatedly while aiding Assad, including right after the US supposedly "warned Assad" by hitting their airbase without doing any damage or actually helping the people there.

Thinking you've got allies in Syria is what got the US into this mess to begin with. The only group that could possibly be considered friendly would be the Kurds. Beyond that your options are down to either more Islamic radicals, or the preexisting totalitarian dictator, who was obviously a murderous bastard but at least for the most part kept things secular and stable.

Can we just say at this point that Republicans are incapable of being trusted with the role of governance? Seriously, it's just the Bush administration cranked up to a (more) cartoonish degree.

This is a party that has decided, for the past 40 years at least, that government is bad, therefore not even worth trying to make good.

Xsjadoblayde:
Will this lead to any accountability? Any...thing whatsoever? Or will the repubs just stonewall everybody as long as they get to maintain power? They seem to be not bothered with credibility at all since the Trump victory. Kinda worrying on many levels.
There has to be a breaking point with all this activity. What will it take to remove these cretins? Trump shooting someone on live television? They're taking the piss.

I guess he tells the truth sometimes.

I can't say I'm surprised or shocked at this, and I have no faith in him ever acknowledging that he messed up. Hell I'd be surprised if any of his walking bullshit dispensers even acknowledge this was a wrong move. And it was a wrong move, in more than just one way. Hell there was no strategy behind it, there couldn't have been. And if there was, it came from a place so nonsensical that it might as well be fucking Narnia. The crazy thing about this, well I suppose one of the crazy things about this, is that I don't see this really having an impact on him. Sure, he'll be berated and get a metaphorical slap on the wrist, but it's not like he gives a damn. He lives in his own little world. In his mind, everything he does is great, amazing, and just all around fantastic. I swear the man is an Ork from 40k. He thinks something is true, he believes something is true, therefore in his world it's true despite how illogical it all is. Just replace the green skin with orange skin, and replace screams of "WAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!" with "MMMMAAAAAGGGGAAAAA!!!!!".

Nedoras:
He lives in his own little world. In his mind, everything he does is great, amazing, and just all around fantastic.

That'll happen when you're rich (or perceived as rich) as hell and constantly surround yourself with sycophants and yes-men who will say whatever you want to hear just to stay close to your money and fame.

I'd actually be shocked if Trump is aware that there is even a possibility that he may be wrong about anything From what I've seen of him, he constantly rewrites history so that the latest thing he says is, and always was, the absolute truth even if it contradicts his previous sentence.

jademunky:
Can we just say at this point that Republicans are incapable of being trusted with the role of governance? Seriously, it's just the Bush administration cranked up to a (more) cartoonish degree.

This is a party that has decided, for the past 40 years at least, that government is bad, therefore not even worth trying to make good.

Can't exactly argue they aren't in good company when the Democrats thought Clinton was a good idea to have as their candidate, or pretty much every single thing they've done ever since the election without much exception.

Why can't America have ideology based parties like the rest of us?

Zontar:

jademunky:

Can't exactly argue they aren't in good company when the Democrats thought Clinton was a good idea to have as their candidate, or pretty much every single thing they've done ever since the election without much exception.

The Democratic party is corrupt especially due to how they manipulated superdelegates and debates and Clinton touted "I have experience" without even trying to push for real change; she even flipped to Bernie's side on several key issues just to gain his voters like an opportunist. I will not forgive that abuse of power until every last person responsible has had their power removed or strongly decreased.

But anyone with power backing Trump at this point, I consider a far greater threat. He has betrayed this country and anyone still backing him who is aware of this treachery is socially complicit.

You are not wrong about the Democrats and how they handled Hillary Clinton. However, first we should focus on the bigger problems of Donald Trump and the Russian government's information-based warfare and treachery we are presently facing. Then, we should tackle our next main dish of party corruption which is thorough on both sides due to gerrymandering, superdelegates, debate rigging, and the electoral college.

Epyc Wynn:

Zontar:

jademunky:

The Democratic party is corrupt especially due to how they manipulated superdelegates and touted "I have experience" without even trying to push for real change; even Clinton flipped to Bernie's side on several key issues just to gain his voters like an opportunist. I will not forgive that abuse of power until every last person responsible has had their power removed or strongly decreased.

But anyone with power backing Trump at this point, I consider a far greater threat. He has betrayed this country and anyone still backing him who is aware of this treachery is socially complicit.

You are not wrong about the Democrats and how they handled Hillary Clinton. However, first we should focus on the bigger problems of Donald Trump and the Russian government's information-based warfare and treachery we are presently facing. Then, we should tackle our next main dish of party corruption which is thorough on both sides due to gerrymandering, superdelegates, debate rigging, and the electoral college.

Given how this news seems to be attributed to the Washington Post, I'll wait and see if this is actually real given their reporting is so consistently at odds with reality they can't open a subsidiary in my country due to our anti-propaganda laws. And those laws are open enough for the CBC to blatantly lie on a regular basis where incompetence is the only defence that could be used for the level of misinformation at play.

I'd also like to ask who are these power backers of Trump you speak of anyway? It's not the GOP, McCain and Ryan have made it no secret that Trump is viewed as a larger enemy to them then the Democrats are, and the Democratic party currently being in the midst of a slow motion implosion as it the liberal wing and the progressive wing fight to the death for control of the party.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - unnamed sources are as good as fake news for all the journalistic accountability that is in place. Give me something solid.

An unnamed source wouldn't cut it in a court of law, and neither should it in the court of popular opinion.

Xsjadoblayde:

I'm sure his supporters would call this draining the swamp or "Telling it like it is" or some such shit. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if Trump started running over poor people with his limo and his supporters would defend him.

Catnip1024:
I said it before, and I'll say it again - unnamed sources are as good as fake news for all the journalistic accountability that is in place. Give me something solid.

An unnamed source wouldn't cut it in a court of law, and neither should it in the court of popular opinion.

The timing is also suspect given how it came out just long enough after the Seth Rich story broke that it could literally have been written up on the spot in response to it.

Dalisclock:

Xsjadoblayde:

I'm sure his supporters would call this draining the swamp or "Telling it like it is" or some such shit. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if Trump started running over poor people with his limo and his supporters would defend him.

Is that like how Labour's leader drove over a journalist and Labour supporters are blaming the media instead of his driver?

Yes, we know. NOW, get someone to do something about it. We wouldn't be in this position if those idiots had chosen Hillary.

FalloutJack:
Yes, we know.

Yet no actual source for the information. It's as known as Iraqi WMDs. And of course it came out an hour after the real source of the DNC leak was revealed.

This was not actually illegal. Sharing classified information is one of the many, many, many things a President can do without it being illegal, because the President can declassify information whenever he wants.

Still super shady, though. And probably not good for US national security.

What shits me about it is the reactions from Trump's base. I mean, there's partisanship - I can understand partisanship, people believe things and form sides and don't want to criticise their side - but it really takes some grossly tumorous balls to be able to sit there and dismiss every criticism of Trump as bullshit because...reasons. I mean, come on, people. Trump's supporters behave like he literally can do no wrong, and if he ever does do wrong, then it was a lie somehow. There's a line between political support and worship, and these people are preaching the Gospel of Trump.

In other news: Gavin McInnes formed some weird political action group I only just now heard of, and he describes it as a "Western chauvinist fraternal organisation." This further convinces me that Gavin McInnes is either completely insane or just taking the piss out of everyone, because he doesn't seem to realise what the origin of the word "chauvinism" is and why it's maybe a bad idea to compare yourself directly to a guy who was infamous for his blind loyalty to one of history's most notorious supervillains.

Zontar:
Yet no actual source for the information. It's as known as Iraqi WMDs.

You wanna know why there's no named source for the information? Because there were no US reporters in the room.

There was a Russian reporter, though. As well as a bunch of other people who'd probably get fired if they were quoted by name. I almost want them to do that anyway, but I know that the trumpets will just shrug it off like they always do. They don't actually care about sources or journalistic integrity. If they did, they wouldn't get their news from Breitbart or Infowars.

Zontar:
And of course it came out an hour after the real source of the DNC leak was revealed.

Zontar:

If Trump drops a nuke on Quebec for shits and giggles, you'll still be crypto-defending him by saying at least Clinton didn't win.

Zontar:

FalloutJack:
Yes, we know.

Yet no actual source for the information. It's as known as Iraqi WMDs. And of course it came out an hour after the real source of the DNC leak was revealed.

Catnip1024:

The author of the article has already given extensive interviews and discussed information that could have only been known by those with access to such information. The Washington post reporter had to withhold information that was disclosed as it could endanger people on the ground there, not that the information was not provided. Of course they are not going to bring out the "leak" as Trump has very publicly made it known been trying to go after the leakers with a vengeance. The "source" here said they went public because they feared for the safety of the US and allies due to Trump's actions. Disclosing a source in this situation would most definitely be a terribly stupid thing to do when you are dealing with such a vindictive administration . If they did expose the source here, they would be as stupid as Trump was to hand over this information to Russia in the first place.

The article's author has been more than willing to stake his reputation on the line and has been giving questions and answers, unlike the administration. The reporter is not some unknown or tabloid writer, they actually have a good reputation for honesty, unlike the current administration.

Ravinoff:

Lil devils x:

Thinking you've got allies in Syria is what got the US into this mess to begin with. The only group that could possibly be considered friendly would be the Kurds. Beyond that your options are down to either more Islamic radicals, or the preexisting totalitarian dictator, who was obviously a murderous bastard but at least for the most part kept things secular and stable.

Russia has been attacking the US backed Kurds...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07/22/russian-warplanes-reportedly-bombed-us-base-in-syria.html
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/en/originals/2016/10/russia-putin-green-light-attack-turkey-kurds-syria.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/russian-warplanes-bomb-elite-british-backed-syrian-rebels/
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/321849-russian-aircraft-accidentally-bomb-us-backed-syrian-fighters

EDIT: ALSO from the videos we saw coming out of Aleppo, many of those being bombed were actually Christians, not Islamic.

Hey Paul Ryan, I didn't see you there. So I take it, because you actually have "Principles", you're gonna jump right on this thing, right? RIGHT?

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm sure Ryan and Mitch are more then happy to assume the position once again and think of those sweet, sweet upper class tax cuts.

Catnip1024:

In other words, you want to vastly reduce the public accountability of those in power.

That's what it means to say an unnamed source is virtually irrelevant. It means to have impact, the source must be named, and at that point a lot of potential whistleblowers aren't going to risk the torrent of shit that's likely to fall on their lives and careers.

So congratulations on your decision to facilitate corruption and incompetence.

Zontar:

FalloutJack:
Yes, we know.

So how did that whole PizzaGate thing turn out for you?

its funny.. every day i turn on the news thinking "what has the silly muppet done today"

it's trump being trump. the only thing he could do that would actually surprise me would be if he did anything smart or reasonable.

The thing that's really getting to me about all these shenanigans is that it's only been four months. Like holy shit. He's nearly played more golf in his first few months than Obama did in his first year, he's already leaking stuff to other countries...what is going to have happened by year's State of the Union address? Will Putin have a room permanently reserved for him in the White House by then? Will the Russian ambassador have a cabinet position and a set of keys to Mar-A-Lago? I'm becoming concerned there's not going to be a lot left to take back by the 2020 election.

Zontar:

Is that like how Labour's leader drove over a journalist and Labour supporters are blaming the media instead of his driver?

Eh, I haven't seen the footage myself (nor did the driver! It's a joke, because he ran over his foot.), given the way the press behave with all the pushing and shoving and jumping in front of cars, it isn't that surprising that there was an accident. Unfortunate though.

And to be clear, the Labour leader didn't drive over a journalist, his driver did, as you state. If we're going to hold people responsible for everything carried out by those below them, Ian Duncan Smith is going to burn in hell. I mean, he was anyway, just more now.

What I don't understand is why we aren't talking about the Trump Saudi Arabia connection. He literally invested millions of dollars in Saudi Arabia during the campaign and turned around and gave them a bunch of military aid in office.

Zontar:
The timing is also suspect given how it came out just long enough after the Seth Rich story broke that it could literally have been written up on the spot in response to it.

Jesus fuckin' Christ. You actually think that The Washington Post came up with that story in an hour? You think that someone with their reputation can afford to risk publishing that article and that they would do it just to cover up the "real scoop"?

Oh, and by the way there is no private investigator hired by the family. It's literally a fake story. Seth's family denied the whole thing.

bastardofmelbourne:
This was not actually illegal. Sharing classified information is one of the many, many, many things a President can do without it being illegal, because the President can declassify information whenever he wants.

Still super shady, though. And probably not good for US national security.

It might be illegal if the information didn't come from a US intelligence agency and the source didn't give permission to disclose it to other parties. But at the very least we should all be able to agree that this is even dumber than what Hillary did with her stupid e-mail server.

bastardofmelbourne:
What shits me about it is the reactions from Trump's base. I mean, there's partisanship - I can understand partisanship, people believe things and form sides and don't want to criticise their side - but it really takes some grossly tumorous balls to be able to sit there and dismiss every criticism of Trump as bullshit because...reasons. I mean, come on, people. Trump's supporters behave like he literally can do no wrong, and if he ever does do wrong, then it was a lie somehow. There's a line between political support and worship, and these people are preaching the Gospel of Trump.

Yeah, these people don't give a shit. They couldn't care less about the facts and the truth. They don't care that Trump is regularly trampling the Constitution, that he thinks he's above the law, that he's connected to Italian and Russian mafia etc. They don't even care that he might be putting the entire country at risk and that his policies are not only ruining the country, but potentially the rest of the world. None of that matters to them and they're not even intelligent enough to grasp the consequences of their support for Trump. Trumpism is quite literally a cult of personality. His supporters are literally delusional.

It's okay, the story has changed from 'He didn't share anything' to 'I'm allowed to share things so there!'. I like that he waits for all his aides to say one thing, then says the opposite. Keeps them on their toes.

Baffle2:
It's okay, the story has changed from 'He didn't share anything' to 'I'm allowed to share things so there!'. I like that he waits for all his aides to say one thing, then says the opposite. Keeps them on their toes.

funny isnt it.. its like he does it on purpose.

latest news apparently a european country is reviewing whether or not to share sensitive intelligence with the US after this

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here