Official Special Investigation Into Trump Thread

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

With the announcement by Deputy Atty. Gen. Rod Rosenstein that former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III has been appointed as the Special Counsel investigating Donald Trump and Russia I figure we'll need a thread to address ongoing developments.

The game is on! Grab your popcorn and sit back for what will likely be an investigation that could last for a year or two.

Wednesday evening breaking news makes it clear that this is anything but "fake" news:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-russia-comey-20170517-story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/former-fbi-head-robert-mueller-named-to-oversee-russia-election-probe.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/hill-republicans-show-growing-concern-over-trump-controversies/2017/05/16/57dd4f14-3aad-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html

While most news organizations are focusing on the impending investigation Fox News has been desperate to avoid the subject. Moreover at the moment they are unable to even get Republicans to come on TV to defend trump.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/05/17/bad-fox-news-find-republican-air-defend-trump.html

Trump himself was blindsided by the change mid-stream and is reputedly throwing tantrums.

Overall it looks like Trump and his entire posse are going to be ridden hard and put down wet.

Will he go for a full Nixon or not? Let's watch and see.

This really should please everyone, if there is something it should be known and if there's nothing we should move on (to the many many many other stuff Trump does on a daily basis). In theory no one should be against this.

I am afraid that someone end up taking all the blame for themselves and then Trump just pardon them.

Can they ask for Trump himself to have to testify? That would be hilarious.

I'd just like to know more about former Director Meuller at this point in time. Whether people see him remotely positively.

After that thing about Trump telling then Director Comey to drop the Flynn investigation... This could be it for Da Donald.

American Tanker:
I'd just like to know more about former Director Meuller at this point in time. Whether people see him remotely positively.

After that thing about Trump telling then Director Comey to drop the Flynn investigation... This could be it for Da Donald.

He's got his own tag on Google News Top Stories right now.

Here's a biography from NPR covering his 12 years as Director of the FBI under Bush II and Obama.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/17/528855474/biographer-outlines-robert-muellers-12-years-as-fbi-director

Here's an interesting article from CNN in which he receives lavish praise:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/who-is-robert-mueller/

Of great interest is the fact Attorney General Jeff Sessions (who'd recused himself from the Russian investigation) had no idea that Deputy Atty. Gen. Rod Rosenstein was appointing Robert Mueller as Special Counsel.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/05/17/trump-buddy-jeff-sessions-left-completely-dark-special-counsel.html

American Tanker:

Mueller, a decorated Vietnam vet and has general bipartisan support. He's essentially Comey before he stuck his foot into the Clinton email scandal and pissed both sides off.

I remember Mueller mostly from The Bush era, he was one of the main opponents to warrantless wiretapping that the Bush admin pushed in the wake of 9/11, challenged the DOJ on multiple occasions, most well known in my memory for squaring off against attorney general John Ashcroft and threatening to quit if the congress overturned the court decision that warrantless wiretapping was unconstitutional. I mostly remember him coming up in debates about the PATRIOT act.

He was involved in Obama era stuff too, was well liked enough for Obama to ask him to serve extra time as the head of the bureau.

Just in time for us to not know anything for awhile because it's been taken over by a special prosecutor.

Meiam:
Can they ask for Trump himself to have to testify? That would be hilarious.

Yes, that is within the authority of a special prosecutor.

EternallyBored:
Mueller, a decorated Vietnam vet and has general bipartisan support. He's essentially Comey before he stuck his foot into the Clinton email scandal and pissed both sides off.

I remember Mueller mostly from The Bush era, he was one of the main opponents to warrantless wiretapping that the Bush admin pushed in the wake of 9/11, challenged the DOJ on multiple occasions, most well known in my memory for squaring off against attorney general John Ashcroft and threatening to quit if the congress overturned the court decision that warrantless wiretapping was unconstitutional. I mostly remember him coming up in debates about the PATRIOT act.

He was involved in Obama era stuff too, was well liked enough for Obama to ask him to serve extra time as the head of the bureau.

So this guy's got an at least "not bad" reputation... Here's hoping he actually does something good about this Russia crap.

American Tanker:
So this guy's got an at least "not bad" reputation... Here's hoping he actually does something good about this Russia crap.

He received a 100-0 vote in the Senate when he was made FBI Director the first time.

He's the second longest acting FBI Director ever because Obama requested he stay on beyond his standard 10 year appointment. When the Senate voted on it he received a 98-0 vote.

He seems to be a living archetype of professional (and apolitical) perfection. Republicans and Democrats all are nodding their heads and saying "Damn! If someone's got to do it then he's the man!!!"

Personally I scarcely knew he existed. The more I learn about him the more I admire him.

Trump, of course, should be very, very, very afraid to have Mueller as the Special Counsel: He's Trump's worst nightmare in a very real way--universally respected with an unimpeachable resume and reputation, etc. If Trump tries to trash talk Mueller he'll only be hearing crickets from others rather than support.

Except, maybe, from Fox News. But Fox News is hurting baaaadly these days.

Its the start of the beginning of the end. Republicans are worried about mid-terms and know they'll need a full year to craft a message of a reborn Republican party. So insiders and more moderate Republicans, with the support of the DOJ and Senate are forcing Trump's hand.
They need him gone by November of this year, so there's no time for an impeachment. And Dems would love to drag an impeachment trial out for years and tarnish every GOP politician's name in the process. So the GOP need to force one of two scenarios, either A. Trump resigns, probably as a deal with Pence for a full pardon, or Pence and the cabinet enact Amendment 25 and remove Trump.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pence is behind this. Rosenstein is a rat who wont piss without being told to, so the only way he'd do this is with a very powerful character in his corner calling the shot. And Pence is the only man in Government Trump can't fire. So he has all the power, all the leverage and everything to gain by making Trump's life miserable.

hear that? its the sound of fox news with its hands over his ears going LA LA LA NOT LISTENING

hes fast becoming so toxic not even his own party want to touch him.

and in latest news the trump team knew flyn was under investigation weeks before inauguration

pookie101:
hear that? its the sound of fox news with its hands over his ears going LA LA LA NOT LISTENING

and in latest news the trump team knew flyn was under investigation weeks before inauguration

Are you kidding? Fox thrives on controversy. They'll be screaming about this unfair persecution from the rooftops. It doesn't matter whether Trump is exonerated or goes down in flames just so long as they can glue peoples' eyes to the TV.

Assuming, of course, that Murdoch's kids don't rejigger everything.

Veylon:

pookie101:

Are you kidding? Fox thrives on controversy. They'll be screaming about this unfair persecution from the rooftops. It doesn't matter whether Trump is exonerated or goes down in flames just so long as they can glue peoples' eyes to the TV.

Only if they're got some spin prepared. Conway canceled on Carlson after news broke about that special prosecutor. Even a softball spin interview wasn't safe enough.

Meiam:

It might be worse actually. There's a pretty good chance that other members of the GOP will go down with him. Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy talked about Trump being on Putin's payroll back in 2016. And Paul Ryan said something like "No leaks. This is how we know we're family". First they tried to deny that this conversation ever took place, but after they were informed that there's an audio of it they changed their story and suddenly it was only a joke.

Adam Jensen:

Meiam:

It might be worse actually. There's a pretty good chance that other members of the GOP will go down with him. Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy talked about Trump being on Putin's payroll back in 2016. And Paul Ryan said something like "No leaks. This is how we know we're family". First they tried to deny that this conversation ever took place, but after they were informed that there's an audio of it they changed their story and suddenly it was only a joke.

It is pretty funny how every one connected to this administration has the exact same 4 talking points to deal with any of the Russia issues.

"It didn't happen."
"It did happen but you've taken it out of context."
"You should be finding out who is leaking this stuff."
"Okay interview over."

altnameJag:

Veylon:

pookie101:

Only if they're got some spin prepared. Conway canceled on Carlson after news broke about that special prosecutor. Even a softball spin interview wasn't safe enough.

they apparently couldnt get any republican to come on after the story broke and did a hard hitting expose of a train station bathroom instead haha

This is history no matter how it ends. It'll be interesting to see this play out

Man, heard about this at work and spent all day wanting to come home and squee about it, but I settled down.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) Mueller is being appointed as a special counsel, not a special prosecutor. This is because the office of special prosecutor was dissolved when the legislation that created it expired in 1999. The position of special counsel was created by the DOJ in-house as a replacement.

2) The difference between a special counsel and a special prosecutor is that the special prosecutor had the power to actually prosecute whatever crimes they uncovered. A special counsel merely has the power to investigate. This is still substantial; they can call hearings, subpoena evidence, conduct interviews and so on. But the ultimate decision for whether or not a prosecution occurs comes down to the Attorney-General's office. Incidentally, the Attorney-General can also fire the special counsel at any time for any reason at all.

3) The Attorney-General is, of course, Jeff Sessions. Sessions has recused himself from the Russia probe, so the deputy AG - Rod Rosenstein, he who was used as a patsy to fire Comey with - appointed Mueller instead, apparently without even consulting or warning Sessions (!). Score one, Rod. This puts Rosenstein in charge of the Russia probe, which is better than Sessions being in charge because Rosenstein actually has a reputation to maintain and was reportedly pissed when the White House used his memo as the basis for firing Comey.

4) Because the office of special counsel is created by the DOJ and not legislation, and because the DOJ, like all other federal agencies, is staffed by presidential appointment, Trump can fire Rosenstein basically whenever, and in turn Rosenstein (or his replacement) can fire Mueller basically whenever.

5) Like everything related to the President: even if Mueller uncovers evidence that Trump personally travelled to Moscow to suck Putin's testicles while talking about firing Comey and getting Flynn off the hook, no prosecution will occur. It's never been determined whether or not the President can even be prosecuted of a crime while in office, and the provided alternative mechanism for doing so - impeachment - would require a significant number of Republican defections to pull off. After 2018, that might be achievable if the Democrats do very well, but I wouldn't be too optimistic; the seats being contested are the heavily gerrymandered ones, and not enough Senate seats are up for grabs for the Democrats to get the two-thirds majority required to successfully impeach Trump. The absolute best-case scenario is that Trump is pressured to resign and Pence immediately pardons him, and the worst president in US history goes back to the life of a carefree billionaire septuagenarian real estate mogul/professional Twitter twit.

tl;dr - this is a huge deal, but Trump is not doomed. In the short term, this actually benefits Trump greatly; the White House now has an excuse to not answer questions relating to Russia, Comey, or Flynn, which is a good thing for them because every time they've opened their mouth about any of those subjects, Trump has shot them in the foot and then put their foot in his mouth.

Adam Jensen:

Meiam:

Nixon was not the only man in power responsible for Watergate. In fact he technically wasn't the one Who had the original plan. But we still only really think about Nixon when Watergate comes up. If this turns out to be true then Trump will be the fall guy and everyone else will crawl away.

I'll be seeing my parents this weekend and, according to my mom, my fairly conservative Dad has been binge-watching CNN and acting like he usually does when the Bruins make the playoffs.

Should be an interesting time (he fucking hates Trump for that softwood lumber thing). Hopefully this goes full Watergate but since Pence will just pardon him, we never really will see justice done.

bastardofmelbourne:
snip

The FBI is still investigating this mess. Even without the special prosecutor that investigation isn't going away.

I just need some popcorn and butter. 'dis gon be goooooood.

This is what I was hoping to happen, but I did not think in my wildest dreams it would be quite this quick.

Silentpony:
Its the start of the beginning of the end. Republicans are worried about mid-terms and know they'll need a full year to craft a message of a reborn Republican party. So insiders and more moderate Republicans, with the support of the DOJ and Senate are forcing Trump's hand.
They need him gone by November of this year, so there's no time for an impeachment. And Dems would love to drag an impeachment trial out for years and tarnish every GOP politician's name in the process. So the GOP need to force one of two scenarios, either A. Trump resigns, probably as a deal with Pence for a full pardon, or Pence and the cabinet enact Amendment 25 and remove Trump.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pence is behind this. Rosenstein is a rat who wont piss without being told to, so the only way he'd do this is with a very powerful character in his corner calling the shot. And Pence is the only man in Government Trump can't fire. So he has all the power, all the leverage and everything to gain by making Trump's life miserable.

I still must ask what reputation the Republican Party thinks it's defending here. They're not even a polished turd. They're responsible for so much shit over the years that you would need 120,000 Biff Tannens to crash into the manure trucks to get through it all. Is there a single group in the world that you could attribute a hatedom for in their name? Racism? They've got it. Sexism? And how. Homophobia and the like? Check and double check. Greedy as all fuck and out to kill the poor? Oh yes. Acting like petulent children? Yupperooni. Backstabbing opportunistic bastards? All there in the manual. Power-hungry? Fuck yes. Out of their minds? double fuck yes. Now, understandably, there probably isn't a singular person who emulates all of these traits (except Trump), but collectively this is a problem there and that IS their reputation.

With such distortions in their minds, you may find yourselves wishing for Phantom Thieves.

jademunky:
I'll be seeing my parents this weekend and, according to my mom, my fairly conservative Dad has been binge-watching CNN and acting like he usually does when the Bruins make the playoffs.

Should be an interesting time (he fucking hates Trump for that softwood lumber thing). Hopefully this goes full Watergate but since Pence will just pardon him, we never really will see justice done.

Personally I'd like to see the mental gymnastics if this thing goes through the whole way and finds the guy not really guilty of anything all that relevant.

Redryhno:

jademunky:

Personally I'd like to see the mental gymnastics if this thing goes through the whole way and finds the guy not really guilty of anything all that relevant.

Not sure how he'd be found not guilty of amything considering he may already be guilty of obstruction of justic and the investigation hasn't even started.

Redryhno:

jademunky:

He is already factually guilty of obstruction and embezzlement, we also know that the FBI announced that it was still looking into Clinton while omitting that it was looking into Trump 2 weeks before the election. We also know that people working for him met with russian officials.

This question is not at all about guilt, rather how willing the Republican establishment is to put party before country.

kinokohtake:

Not sure how he'd be found not guilty of amything considering he may already be guilty of obstruction of justic and the investigation hasn't even started.

And that's the key word isn't it? "MAY". Never said he wasn't, just that it'd be fun to see what would happen if he wasn't.

jademunky:

Redryhno:

jademunky:

He is already factually guilty of obstruction and embezzlement, we also know that the FBI announced that it was still looking into Clinton while omitting that it was looking into Trump 2 weeks before the election. We also know that people working for him met with russian officials.

This question is not at all about guilt, rather how willing the Republican establishment is to put party before country.

Second verse same as the first.

Well, last I heard Trump is now trying to play the victim card. He's complaining that the media are picking on him and treating him unfairly.

Diddums.

IceForce:
Well, last I heard Trump is now trying to play the victim card. He's complaining that the media are picking on him and treating him unfairly.

Diddums.

To be fair, they have pretty much said that his wife is only with him for his money(and is the sole reason anybody would demean themselves so much as to spend any amount of time with him, much less marry), that the entire business side of his life is nothing but a con and he doesn't actually own or operate anything successful, and that his like 8 year old kid is so ugly that it's hard to imagine him not being the spawn of satan. And that was before he won the election...

Since election he's been given three shows whose sole purpose is to mock his existence, a plethora of media personalities calling Pence's "no women around me besides my wife without witnesses" stance inherently misogynistic and by extension, himself. Because nobody has ever taken a VP that has controversial stances in the history of the Presidency, and a never ending stream of hate, not ridicule, not criticism, but actual hate from pretty much everyone that is stuck in the "LEFT IS BEST, RIGHT IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD, NO MATTER WHAT" bullshit politics war.

It's not really that hard for a statement like "the media are picking on me" to be true in these circumstances. This went on a bit longer than I meant it to, but again, I was just trying to get the point across that it's not that far off the mark if it isn't right on it.

Also, because this is the Escapist, no, I don't support the guy, didn't vote for him either.

@Redryhno: Maybe bullies should not have thin skin.

Redryhno:

jademunky:

You're likely to see mental gymnastics either way, given there still seems to be a fair chunk of people who somehow think every underhanded thing he's done, and every lie he's told, are all some fabrication by evil globalist something somethings. =P At this point, even if the investigation revealed a video clip of Trump literally hashing out the terms of a deal with Putin, you're going to see plenty of folks online furious about the rampant, um, 'fabrications' and fake news that's out to criminalize the People's President. =P

Personally, I'm willing to bet that Trump is going to wiggle out of any personal liability, regardless of how involved in this he may or may not have been. It's in character for the guy to throw pretty much anyone he has to under the bus, and iirc he already went on record recently denying Russian collusion, but that he could only 'speak for himself.' So even if folks within Trump's campaign were found to be colluding with efforts to sway the election results, I think Trump will end up with just enough wiggle room to deny involvement, and just chalk it up to things his people did without his say-so.

Saelune:

First off, c'mon, if you wanna throw smug remarks someone's way, at least man up and actually quote them.

Second, you really think that all of that can be chalked up to 'thin skin'? Because if ya do, then I'll make sure to keep this post catalogued for future reference.

I mean, it's one thing if he's a recurring SNL caricature, they're unimaginative and they've lacked any real writing talent for at least twenty years, it comes with the territory, but this is pretty much every news network, whether they're legitimate or not, the majority of night tv, and at least half of social media. People have been fined and arrested for much, much less.

EDIT: Also, something I somehow missed as I was writing this, don't even try to pull this "It's ok, he's a bully" crap. It's a lazy excuse, and you had better damn well know it. At best, that's a personal beef reasoning, not this shit. But again, if you really want to pull "it's okay, he's a bully", I'll make sure to keep this post filed for future reference.

Redryhno:

Saelune:

First off, c'mon, if you wanna throw smug remarks someone's way, at least man up and actually quote them.

Second, you really think that all of that can be chalked up to 'thin skin'? Because if ya do, then I'll make sure to keep this post catalogued for future reference.

I mean, it's one thing if he's a recurring SNL caricature, they're unimaginative and they've lacked any real writing talent for at least twenty years, it comes with the territory, but this is pretty much every news network, whether they're legitimate or not, the majority of night tv, and at least half of social media. People have been fined and arrested for much, much less.

EDIT: Also, something I somehow missed as I was writing this, don't even try to pull this "It's ok, he's a bully" crap. It's a lazy excuse, and you had better damn well know it. At best, that's a personal beef reasoning, not this shit. But again, if you really want to pull "it's okay, he's a bully", I'll make sure to keep this post filed for future reference.

I found nothing wrong with Saelune's post. Yours is aggressive passive-aggressive, however. Tone it down, please. :)

OT: To my enormous shock there weren't any shoes dropping today. Well, okay, this happened:

"It was a counterintelligence investigation before now. It seems to me now to be considered a criminal investigation," said Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

Source: https://news.vice.com/story/justice-department-told-the-senate-that-the-trumprussia-inquiry-is-now-a-criminal-investigation

It's early days yet, of course. OTOH Republicans are whispering (once again) about "President Pence".

There's one thing about Pence's involvement in this that I, like many others, find puzzling: He doesn't seem to know anything about collusion, obstruction of justice etc, etc. Yes, he's right there at the center of the storm but he doesn't know anything about anything?

I put it to my mother this way: "It's like--okay, you're on a team of pirates but you aren't a pirate, okay, but how could you not realize that you were working with pirates?!?"

Basement Cat:
With the announcement by Deputy Atty. Gen. Rod Rosenstein that former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III has been appointed as the Special Counsel investigating Donald Trump and Russia I figure we'll need a thread to address ongoing developments.

The game is on! Grab your popcorn and sit back for what will likely be an investigation that could last for a year or two.

Wednesday evening breaking news makes it clear that this is anything but "fake" news:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-russia-comey-20170517-story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/former-fbi-head-robert-mueller-named-to-oversee-russia-election-probe.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/hill-republicans-show-growing-concern-over-trump-controversies/2017/05/16/57dd4f14-3aad-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html

While most news organizations are focusing on the impending investigation Fox News has been desperate to avoid the subject. Moreover at the moment they are unable to even get Republicans to come on TV to defend trump.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/05/17/bad-fox-news-find-republican-air-defend-trump.html

Trump himself was blindsided by the change mid-stream and is reputedly throwing tantrums.

Overall it looks like Trump and his entire posse are going to be ridden hard and put down wet.

You'll be pleased to hear that it looks like the whole 'Trump is reputedly throwing tantrums' bit looks to be fairly accurate, at least judging by today's events. As expected, the White House released a statement in response to the announcement, one titled, simply, 'Statement From Donald J Trump,' which reads as follows;

'As I have stated many times, a thorough investigation will confirm what we already know - there was no collusion between my campaign and any foreign entity. I look forward to this matter concluding quickly. In the meantime, I will never stop fighting for the people and the issues that matter most to the future of our country.'

So okay, the underlying message suggests that the investigation is being welcomed as an opportunity to clear his name, etc, etc, usual PR response to something like this, with some equally expected patriotic rhetoric thrown in. Nothing exceptionally unusual, and any underlying defensiveness is relatively minor.

But then Twitter happened. Once again, quoting from Trump;

'This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history! With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign & Obama Administration, there was never a special counsel appointed!'

And in just a pair of tweets, Trump manages to insist he's involved in the 'biggest' of something yet again, because we know how much he loves insisting anything involving him is the biggest, the best, the greatest, etc. He takes shots at both the prior administration AND the woman he beat in the elections. And to top it all off, he seems either deliberately or ironically forgetful of the fact that appointing a special counsel to go after Clinton was something he said he was going to do right up until the very day he won.

Interviewers are also reporting that Trump insists this development weakens the country, etc, etc. So it's obvious, and unsurprising, that the Statement From Donald J Trump was not, actually, from Donald J Trump. =P

Basement Cat:

Redryhno:

Saelune:

I found nothing wrong with Saelune's post. Yours is aggressive passive-aggressive, however. Tone it down, please. :)

What are you talking about "found nothing wrong with his post"? Didn't report it or believe it had anything breaking forum rules, just a bit of basic etiquette breach that you find all over the internet. Figured it might help a bit that he know that it's incredibly impolite to half-ass snide comments like that. Figured he might use it for future reference.

:)

Redryhno:

What are you talking about "found nothing wrong with his post"? Didn't report it or believe it had anything breaking forum rules, just a bit of basic etiquette breach that you find all over the internet. Figured it might help a bit that he know that it's incredibly impolite to half-ass snide comments like that. Figured he might use it for future reference.

:)

Peace.

BTW: It's 'she', isn't it?

SeventhSigil:

'This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history! With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign & Obama Administration, there was never a special counsel appointed!'

This is a quote I've yet to see get commented on. Doesn't Trump or, y'know, anybody in the media remember a guy named "Kenneth Starr"?

EDIT: My point being that Hillary was investigated by Starr along with everyone else by Starr back in the 90's. The Clintons have been continually investigated for a quarter century now and all the GOP/conservative hostiles have turned up were insinuations and cries of "This is smoke so there must be a fire!" including the 9 Benghazi investigations.

Hmm, maybe it's not sufficiently connected enough that I should edit this reply out.

Eh, you probably already have a missive in your inbox so I'll just leave the edited version here.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here