Official Special Investigation Into Trump Thread

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

They can ask, sure. But they can't actually do anything about it. And if this Uranium thing was truly a scandal, Republicans would have latched onto it years ago. THE ONLY reason they're bringing this up now is because Mueller was the FBI director back then.

Actual investigation is probably the last thing they want because that would just show they're all idiots making noise over nothing and destroy their credibility. They just want to continue to be able to deflect and insinuate, but not actually get a definitive answer (which is already available).
http://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/facts-uranium-one/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/10/29/the-dossier-and-the-uranium-deal-a-guide-to-the-latest-allegations/?utm_term=.e420796fa901

Asita:
And now we've got Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) introducing a measure that demands Mueller's resignation, claiming conflict of interest due to Mueller's "close personal relationship" with Comney, and for some reason threw in a bit about how the FBI should be investigated for "willful blindness" about Uranium One

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/03/house-republicans-robert-mueller-resignation-244517
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/conservative-republicans-demand-mueller-recuse-himself-over-uranium-deal/2017/11/03/809135bc-c07f-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.46e1b5bdd338
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/03/gop-reps-gaetz-gohmert-biggs-push-for-mueller-resignation-in-new-resolution.html

...And they do this just days after the first charges are made. Coincidence, I'm sure. *eyeroll*

The audacity of the Uranium One scandal is that it is a recycled scandal. Trump has been talking about how Hillary 'sold 20% of America's uranium to Russia' for almost two years now. The deal itself is seven years old. The details have already been hashed out, scrutinised, and thoroughly discredited.

But come some indictments of Trump campaign staffers, and the GOP blurts out 'oh, don't forget we still have all the Hillary activity,' and you want to grab them and slap them in the face and say 'you already investigated this! Everybody investigated it! There is nothing there.'

It's just smoke. They want a reason to smear Mueller to preemptively discredit anything he might uncover. Never mind that he was one of the best directors the FBI ever had, or that he was a Bush appointee, or that he's a Republican. He might make their God-Emperor look bad, so he is persona non grata to the Republican party.

It's all bullshit. I mean, the more I observe Republican politicians, the more I'm perplexed by how anyone was ever stupid enough to trust them in the first place.

bastardofmelbourne:

Asita:
And now we've got Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) introducing a measure that demands Mueller's resignation, claiming conflict of interest due to Mueller's "close personal relationship" with Comney, and for some reason threw in a bit about how the FBI should be investigated for "willful blindness" about Uranium One

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/03/house-republicans-robert-mueller-resignation-244517
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/conservative-republicans-demand-mueller-recuse-himself-over-uranium-deal/2017/11/03/809135bc-c07f-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.46e1b5bdd338
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/03/gop-reps-gaetz-gohmert-biggs-push-for-mueller-resignation-in-new-resolution.html

...And they do this just days after the first charges are made. Coincidence, I'm sure. *eyeroll*

The audacity of the Uranium One scandal is that it is a recycled scandal. Trump has been talking about how Hillary 'sold 20% of America's uranium to Russia' for almost two years now. The deal itself is seven years old. The details have already been hashed out, scrutinised, and thoroughly discredited.

But come some indictments of Trump campaign staffers, and the GOP blurts out 'oh, don't forget we still have all the Hillary activity,' and you want to grab them and slap them in the face and say 'you already investigated this! Everybody investigated it! There is nothing there.'

It's just smoke. They want a reason to smear Mueller to preemptively discredit anything he might uncover. Never mind that he was one of the best directors the FBI ever had, or that he was a Bush appointee, or that he's a Republican. He might make their God-Emperor look bad, so he is persona non grata to the Republican party.

It's all bullshit. I mean, the more I observe Republican politicians, the more I'm perplexed by how anyone was ever stupid enough to trust them in the first place.

Because they're either bigotted hateful pieces of shit who only care that the GOP will do something about the blacks and gays and don't care about anything else or they're too stupid to realise when they're being lied to and if anyone wants to pull the whole "oh and you wonder why the left is losing voters" shit because they feel insulted then stop supporting bigoted liars and I'll stop calling you out for supporting bigoted liars.

bastardofmelbourne:

If I had to guess, distractions to buy time are the only thing left that they can think to do. Congressional Republicans haven't done any real work in 6 years, some of them new enough that they've never worked in their entire Congressional tenure. The Reagan revolution was all about the mantra that government doesn't work. So of course the disciples of St. Ronald the Magnificent make sure that once they get into government they stop it from working.

Now that they control all three branches of government, they have to actually do their jobs. And it turns out they're not very good at it. Screaming about repealing Obamacare for 7 years? Couldn't make it happen. Obviously had no alternative prepared at any point. Tax cuts for the wealthy? About the only thing left that they believe in and they are already fucking it up.

And of course the obsession with "rugged individualism" means that a bunch of these yo-yos get into power and think everything is about them. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Neil Gorsuch, they can't get their agendas through because they're more focused on their own personal glory than building up the kind of political connections that get shit done.

On-topic: a recent leak of over thirteen million documents from offshore law firms by the German newspaper S?ddeutsche Zeitung has revealed financial connections between Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and a handful of Russian oligarchs, including Putin's son-in-law.

This is the same newspaper that released the Panama Papers, a trove of eleven million documents leaked from Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonesca. The Panama papers revealed evidence of massive illegal activity, including fraud and tax evasion, by some of the world's richest individuals. Among them was Vladimir Putin; the papers revealed a web of billion-dollar transactions between shell companies that Putin used to siphon his wealth outside of Russia and into offshore accounts, where payments could not easily be traced.

The second leak is already drawing comparisons to the first, being termed the "Paradise papers." The leaks also reveal that a Russian billionaire with ties to the Kremlin had invested in a real estate company founded and owned by Jared Kushner, who of course is Donald Trump's son-in-law and who has a disturbingly central position in the web of financial connections between Trump's administration and Russian oligarchs.

What's all this mean? For the investigation into Russian election interference specifically, it means jack-shit. But it highlights a very serious problem with the Trump administration that is often overlooked: the myriad web of undisclosed financial ties between members of the administration - including the President - and foreign state actors. Trump is infamously tight-lipped about his finances, including his tax returns and the activities of the Trump Organisation, which Trump never got around to putting in a blind trust like he said he would. Without financial transparency, the American public simply cannot know whether any one of Trump's decisions constitutes a conflict of interest or not.

On the one hand, it's simply unrealistic to expect an organisation of such scope to scrupulously foresee and avoid all possible conflicts of interest. On the other hand, that's the whole point; Donald Trump's unprecedentedly-massive business interests are so huge that it is impossible for him to not be in a conflict of interest whenever he's making a decision about anything. And it's a problem that is only exacerbated by Trump's determination to staff his White House with millionaires and billionaires. The wealthier your cabinet members are, the more likely it is that they have investments tied up in someone-or-other's business that may one day create a conflict of interest.

In this case specifically, Wilbur Ross has invested in a shipping company owned by a Russian oligarch who was targeted by US sanctions in response to the Russian annexation of the Crimea. The Trump administration also happens to be dragging its feet on implementing the new list of sanctions against Russia that was passed by Congress and signed by Trump in August. The result is that it now appears as though Trump's commerce secretary has financial ties to a businessman that the Trump administration is supposed to be sanctioning, but for some reason isn't doing that.

In such a situation, it is impossible for the Trump administration to avoid the apprehension of bias. And the more ties like this that get revealed, the more difficult it is to believe Trump and his advisers when they claim innocence. One would expect, at the very least, that they could obtain a list of individuals subject to US economic sanctions, hand that list to their accountant, and tell them to sell up any financial interests that could be connected to those individuals.

So...this was rumored to be in the works, but here it is officially: Flynn just pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Considering what Mueller's team was investigating him for, and what they likely had on him, it's highly likely that he flipped on Trump.

So yeah, it's no wonder Trump has been especially unhinged lately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/michael-flynn-guilty-russia-investigation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Exley97:
So...this was rumored to be in the works, but here it is officially: Flynn just pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Considering what Mueller's team was investigating him for, and what they likely had on him, it's highly likely that he flipped on Trump.

So yeah, it's no wonder Trump has been especially unhinged lately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/michael-flynn-guilty-russia-investigation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

First: WOO!

Second: I believe these are the court documents that detail Flynn's statement. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4319066-Flynn-Statement-of-Offense.html Someone feel free to correct me if fake. xP

I suspect this is now the point where a load of Trump staffers voluntarily or involuntarily dive in front of the president to take the hits.

Might not get to the guy at the top, but could spectacularly whittle down his most trusted supporters.

Trump just had to Tweet again.

President Donald Trump defended some of the actions of his former national security adviser Michael Flynn as "lawful" on Saturday, a day after Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his talks with the Russian ambassador.

"I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies," Trump tweeted. "It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!"

Flynn's Friday plea includes an admission that he lied to FBI agents about conversations with then-Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak about U.S. sanctions against Russia and about a pending United Nation Security Council vote targeting Israeli settlements.

He changed his story to one of the dumbest possible things he could have said. I hope this hangs over the midterms like a curse.

BeetleManiac:
Trump just had to Tweet again.

President Donald Trump defended some of the actions of his former national security adviser Michael Flynn as "lawful" on Saturday, a day after Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his talks with the Russian ambassador.

"I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies," Trump tweeted. "It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!"

Flynn's Friday plea includes an admission that he lied to FBI agents about conversations with then-Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak about U.S. sanctions against Russia and about a pending United Nation Security Council vote targeting Israeli settlements.

He changed his story to one of the dumbest possible things he could have said. I hope this hangs over the midterms like a curse.

I swear, it's like every time Trump opens his mouth, it's merely to switch feet and vent hot air.

Trump is blaming his lawyer for the incriminating tweet. Which is probably not THE stupidest thing he could have done about it, but definitely up there. This could potentially result in Trump's lawyer getting disbarred before this is over.

The emails published by the NYT also show that a number of campaign staffers totally knew Flynn was talking to the Russians. The emails implicate KT McFarland, Jared Kushner, Jeff Sessions and Steve Bannon. McFarland presence in that list actually contradict her sworn testimony to the Senate earlier this year. God, we are looking at a potential slaughter in 2018.

Muller has subpoenaed Deutsche Bank for Trump's financial records. The noose tightens.

I'd just like to point out that a common refrain being tried over Mueller's access to Trump's emails makes them invalid is that "they were illegally obtained".

Which, I'd just like to say:

But Hillary's emails.

My favorite part of Trump's latest meltdown is that today we found Trump's newest--best--nickname...

Fredo.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/donald-trump-goes-full-fredo/549875/

From now on Trump is "Fredo".

Basement Cat:
My favorite part of Trump's latest meltdown is that today we found Trump's newest--best--nickname...

Fredo.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/donald-trump-goes-full-fredo/549875/

From now on Trump is "Fredo".

Ironically, my dad has a friend called Fredo, but he IS smart.

Trump is a tyrant and must be stopped.

Figured I'd do a little Epic Wynn-style update here, because I'm bored and got no work to do:

Democratic senator Dianne Feinstein has unilaterally released the full transcript of testimony given by Glenn Simpson, head of Fusion GPS, to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The testimony given by Simpson under oath disproves a key Fox News talking point about the Steele dossier's impact on the FBI's investigation. Fox News had been echoing claims by congressional Republicans that the FBI and/or the Clinton campaign had commissioned the dossier specifically to serve as an excuse for a phony investigation, as part of resistance to Donald Trump coming from "deep state" elements in the FBI, the Justice Department, and Hillary Clinton's secret cabal of reptilian wizards.

But in the testimony, Glenn Simpson - under oath - confirms what the FBI and the New York Times been saying for a while now, which is that the dossier was not the thing that started the FBI's investigation. That came from a human source inside the Trump campaign, widely believed to be campaign aide George Papadopoulos, who had foolishly decided to share drinks with His Excellency Alexander Downer, Australian High Commissioner to the UK. Intoxicated by Downer's sexual magnetism, and also by alcohol, Papadopoulos ran his mouth about how Russia was telling the Trump campaign that they had stacks of Clinton emails waiting to be released on the sly. Downer, who is a high-level diplomat, discreetly relayed this information to the FBI, which was what caused the FBI to begin investigating connections between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.

The dossier did not come until afterwards, which is good, because the dossier is probably bogus; some of it has been corroborated, much of it hasn't, and its most notorious claim - that the Russians have video evidence of Trump paying prostitutes to urinate on a hotel bed - seems too incredible to be true. The dossier's weakness is precisely why congressional Republicans have been paying so much attention to it while ignoring other, stronger pieces of evidence; by making it seem as if the dossier was the basis for the entire investigation and then discrediting the dossier, they can discredit the investigation.

Notably, the NYT report is now almost two weeks old, but Senate Republicans on the judiciary committee had refused to release the testimony from Glenn Simpson that would corroborate it, because they knew that would also contradict what Fox News and their own colleagues were saying about the dossier. Dianne Feinstein - who has now earned the title of "Sneaky Dianne" from the POTUS, who is under the impression that she has committed a crime - decided to breach decorum and release the testimony on her own authority, largely because the Republican senators on the committee were trying to keep it under wraps and also because Glenn Simpson asked them to.

In other news: Politico has made the excellent observation despite Bannon infamously predicting that investigators would "crack Don Jr like an egg on national TV," neither Donald Trump Jr. nor any other members of Trump's inner circle - other than experienced lawyers such as Sessions - have been called to testify publicly.

Why could this be, you may ask? For starters, it would not go well for Don Jr. Setting aside his shifting accounts of the Russia meeting, Son Donald shares his father's intellect, restraint, self-consciousness, and respect for the truth. Which is to say that he would probably crumble dramatically under the strain of a Senate hearing. Some of the most important turning points in the history of political scandals have happened on live broadcast - it puts the public face-to-face with the credibility (or lack thereof) of the person being interrogated.

Speaking of which, in the past couple of days there have been some rumours that Trump Himself may be preparing for a face-to-face interview with Robert Mueller and his team. This would, of course, be catastrophically dangerous for the president, because it is a felony to lie to the FBI and he is almost physically incapable of going more than five minutes without lying.

When questioned whether he would go under oath (as he promised last June), the President gave his typical "we'll see what happens" line, which usually means "no." He also dropped a jab at Hillary Clinton, because of course he did. He also repeated the belief that there was no need for an interview because "when they have no collusion and nobody's found any collusion at any level, it seems unlikely that you'd even have an interview."

But Trump is more in danger of prosecution for obstruction of justice than anything else. Collusion isn't even a clearly-defined crime; it would require prosecutors to argue that receiving documentary intelligence - i.e. stolen emails - counts as a "contribution" to the campaign, as it is illegal under federal election law for a campaign to accept contributions from a foreign power. But when it comes to obstruction of justice, the case is almost hilariously open-and-shut; it's basically public knowledge now that Trump fired James Comey because James Comey refused to drop an active FBI investigation into members of Trump's campaign and administration. Trump said so himself.

bastardofmelbourne:
But Trump is more in danger of prosecution for obstruction of justice than anything else.

An investigation about an investigation.

BREAKING NEWS: Steve Bannon, former Trump Aide and Former head of Breitbart News (twice) has been subpoena'd by Robert Mueller, the Special Prosecutor. It is currently unknown why he's been subpoena'd, it is possible that this is a negotiation tactic; that Bannon testify to Mueller about any wrongdoings the White House/Trump Admin has committed, and he is safe from any crime that may come up through said investigation.

Considering how influential Bannon was with Trump, this subpoena is huge regardless.

Steve Bannon has struck a deal with Robert Mueller; he will give an interview with the Special Prosecutor and not be facing a Grand Jury.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. If Bannon tries to stonewall Mueller, Mueller is absolutely going to re-issue that subpoena. So either Bannon is wasting time, or he's going to become a smaller fish like Paupodopolis.

My first thought would be that if Mueller agreed to this arrangement, that means that whatever he believes Bannon has, his team already can cover. Not sure if that actually is the case. Still, if Bannon stonewalls Mueller, he'll be held in contempt and then he's just screwed no matter what he does.

It probably means that he wants immunity from prosecution in return for his cooperation. If he stonewalls or lies to Mueller, he will know and he'll subpoena him anyway.

Anyway, you should all read Seth Abramson's twitter feed for latest and greatest insights into exactly what kind of nefarious illegal shit Trump's in. The dude is basically a career criminal who launders money for organized crime syndicates.

The New York Times and Politico are both reporting that Donald Trump attempted to fire special counsel Robert Mueller last June, just days after he was appointed by Deputy Attorney-General Rod Rosenstein.

While it's known that Trump was thinking about firing Mueller - and no doubt still is - based on reporting at the time, the source for the story confirms that Trump actually gave the order to fire Mueller. But he was defied by the current White House counsel, Don McGahn, who threatened to resign if the order was carried out. The source for the story is corroborated by at least three others who knew of the events in question.

If Trump had fired Mueller, the resulting political backlash would have been atomic in scale. McGahn refused to carry it out for exactly that reason and evidently managed to talk Trump down.

According to the story, Trump cited the following three "conflicts of interest" that he would use to justify firing Mueller:

- Mueller used to be a member of the Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, Virginia, but a dispute over fees caused him to resign his membership.
- Mueller had previously worked for the law firm that previously represented the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.
- Mueller had been interviewed to return as FBI director the day before he was appointed as a special counsel.

Those are some damning conflicts of interest indeed.

In other Trump Conspiracy Corner news, the "missing FBI texts" that Fox News has been ejaculating over for the past few days - a set of text messages between FBI attorney Lisa Page and senior agent Peter Strzok that had been deleted or lost due to a technical malfunction affecting FBI-issued cell phones, and which Sean Hannity and his ilk argued must contain damning evidence of FBI bias against the President - have been recovered by the Justice Department.

Now released, they show...absolutely nothing noteworthy except for one text discussing who would be appointed special prosecutor for a hypothetical Clinton investigation and one other text talking about how many FBI agents ought to be present in a meeting with Hillary Clinton. This is not surprising, given that Page and Strzok were having an affair at the time and most of the texts between the two were probably re: boners.

I'll add to your post. What this all means is that Trump and his entire administration, when asked about it, lied to the public for months about not wanting to fire Mueller. This is also why we're seeing so many attempts by some members of the GOP to discredit Mueller and the FBI.

They need to think very carefully about how they want to spend the rest of their lives. Because actively engaging in a conspiracy to obstruct justice and to cover up Trump's crimes and crimes committed by a hostile foreign government can land them some pretty hefty prison sentences. At this point I'm almost convinced that Nunes is compromised beyond salvation. But other GOP members shouldn't follow him into the abyss.

Mueller's team just indicted 13 Russian citizens for "violating U.S. criminal laws in order to interfere with U.S. elections and political processes." Charges include wire fraud, bank fraud and aggravated identity theft.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

Generally speaking, the activity described in the indictment is nothing new -- it generally describes how Russian actors used social media and stolen identities to create a troll army in support -- and times, against -- Trump's presidential campaign. Nothing in the indictments about hacking voter registration databases or voting machines or anything explosive. But the fact that Mueller indicted 13 Russian nationals marks the first time U.S. authorities have been able to back up, with actual evidence, the case that Russian state actors tried to influence the election. Also, it suggests Mueller's team has more coming -- I doubt prosecutors would care much about trolls using Twitter and Facebook unless it was tied to something more substantive re: Russian threats actors.

In addition, if the organization "Internet Research Agency" at the heart of the conspiracy sounds familiar, that's because it probably is. NYT Magazine wrote an extensive investigative story in 2015 about "the Agency" and how its troll army was trying to wreak havoc in the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html

Also, this just dropped from Mueller as well -- plea agreement with a California man named Richard Pinedo. Unclear what the connection is to the investigation (it's an identity fraud charge) and how it might be related to the Russian indictments, but many are speculating that since it's a plea agreement, Pinedo probably got caught up with the Internet Research Agency and facilitated their efforts, the feds got him and he cooperated with Mueller's team.

Criminal information: https://www.justice.gov/file/1035537/download

Statement of offense: https://www.justice.gov/file/1035547/download

Exley97:
Mueller's team just indicted 13 Russian citizens for "violating U.S. criminal laws in order to interfere with U.S. elections and political processes." Charges include wire fraud, bank fraud and aggravated identity theft.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

Generally speaking, the activity described in the indictment is nothing new -- it generally describes how Russian actors used social media and stolen identities to create a troll army in support -- and times, against -- Trump's presidential campaign. Nothing in the indictments about hacking voter registration databases or voting machines or anything explosive. But the fact that Mueller indicted 13 Russian nationals marks the first time U.S. authorities have been able to back up, with actual evidence, the case that Russian state actors tried to influence the election. Also, it suggests Mueller's team has more coming -- I doubt prosecutors would care much about trolls using Twitter and Facebook unless it was tied to something more substantive re: Russian threats actors.

David Brock should be ashamed that 13 Russians were able to outdo Correct the Record.

He's done. His presidency won't survive 2018. He absolutely cannot fire Rosenstein and Mueller now without committing treason because interference in the investigation at this point goes beyond simple obstruction of justice. He'd be an accomplice in crimes committed against the US by another government.

Not that he won't try to fire everyone once he realizes that it's over. You have to understand that the FBI is going after EVERYTHING that Trump has done. And that includes previous crimes that may not be related to Russian election meddling. He's been a criminal for most of his life. The situation is so grave for him and the rest of his family, there is a very real chance that not even the next president, if he's a Republican will have the political strength to survive pardoning someone like Trump. He could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Adam Jensen:
He's done. His presidency won't survive 2018. He absolutely cannot fire Rosenstein and Mueller now without committing treason because interference in the investigation at this point goes beyond simple obstruction of justice. He'd be an accomplice in crimes committed against the US by another government.

Not that he won't try to fire everyone once he realizes that it's over. You have to understand that the FBI is going after EVERYTHING that Trump has done. And that includes previous crimes that may not be related to Russian election meddling. He's been a criminal for most of his life. The situation is so grave for him and the rest of his family, there is a very real chance that not even the next president, if he's a Republican will have the political strength to survive pardoning someone like Trump. He could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Unless congress flip in 2018 (it won't) he'll be just fine. At this point he won't fire Mueller because he doesn't have to, his base is solid and will ignore everything that come out of Mueller investigation.

BBC News:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said there was no allegation that any American was "a knowing participant in this illegal activity" nor was it alleged that the meddling altered the election outcome.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43095881

That seems pretty cut and dry unless there is more to follow, which there probably is.

Whitbane:

BBC News:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said there was no allegation that any American was "a knowing participant in this illegal activity" nor was it alleged that the meddling altered the election outcome.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43095881

That seems pretty cut and dry unless there is more to follow, which there probably is.

Interesting that BBC cut his quote in that manner because the full couple of sentences from Rosenstein is actually here (emphasis mine):

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/02/16/watch_live_deputy_ag_rod_rosenstein_announcement.html:
Now, there is no allegation in this indictment that any American was a knowing participant in this illegal activity. There is no allegation in the indictment that the charged conduct altered the outcome of the 2016 election.

The qualifier there is a rather important one especially when viewed with how Mueller is certainly not done at this stage. Rosenstein uses "in [this/the] indictment" ~7-8 times to qualify statements regarding the charges. I'm definitely interested to see what more comes out.

Meiam:
Unless congress flip in 2018 (it won't) he'll be just fine. At this point he won't fire Mueller because he doesn't have to, his base is solid and will ignore everything that come out of Mueller investigation.

Congress won't have to flip and opinion of Trump's base is irrelevant. Don't make a mistake thinking that this is just about Trump. Mueller and the FBI are going after everyone. And that includes Paul Ryan and the rest of GOP leadership. FBI is also investigating the NRA and Fox News. The entire Republican party is essentially a target of a giant RICO investigation. The first Grand Jury indictment against Trump has been court sealed since before he fired Comey, and it's all about mob. Also, this investigation is a part of an international organized crime investigation (corruption, money laundering, cyber-crime, fraud, tax evasion etc.) that began with the release of Panama papers in 2015. And no, this isn't my opinion.

When all this is said and done, don't be surprised if the US ends up with president Mad Dog Mattis.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here