Official Special Investigation Into Trump Thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Kwak:

Dr. Thrax:

Yeah, they're making sure they can throw the book on them for everything, which is going to take time if they want to make sure this shit sticks. And they haven't yet actually "completed the main story", they're still making sure they're doing every available sidequest and activity to make sure they're overleveled for the "main story".

Fantastic metaphor.

Essentially encapsulates my God of War 4 experience.

Adam Jensen:
-Snorp-

If it's so "inaccurate" then tell me, if they've already "completed the main story" then why isn't Trump currently on trial or even in jail? I mean, he is the Final Boss of this shitshow. What you said suggested that they've already beaten Trump and were just cleaning up loose ends, but they haven't even started the boss fight.

If they have everything you say they do, why are they just sitting on it??? The only potential answer I can offer is that they're waiting for the results of midterms in the hopes Dems take Congress, or maybe they're hoping he gets impeached so he no longer has presidential powers to hide behind. But otherwise if they have all this shit they can nail him to the wall with then where is it???

Dr. Thrax:

Adam Jensen:
-Snorp-

If it's so "inaccurate" then tell me, if they've already "completed the main story" then why isn't Trump currently on trial or even in jail? I mean, he is the Final Boss of this shitshow. What you said suggested that they've already beaten Trump and were just cleaning up loose ends, but they haven't even started the boss fight.

It was practically over before Mueller was appointed.

Dr. Thrax:
If they have everything you say they do, why are they just sitting on it??? The only potential answer I can offer is that they're waiting for the results of midterms in the hopes Dems take Congress, or maybe they're hoping he gets impeached so he no longer has presidential powers to hide behind. But otherwise if they have all this shit they can nail him to the wall with then where is it???

These things take time. And just because they have all those things doesn't mean that they have ALL THE THINGS. Mueller's MO is to gather everything about everyone. They also have to coordinate things with states to prosecute for state crimes as well as federal crimes. That takes time and effort as well. On top of that we've no idea how many other people they've been investigating or if they've uncovered even more crimes in the interim. Then there's the fact that it's not just a US investigation or just Mueller's Russia investigation. It's a part of a global anti-corruption and organized crime investigation that's been going on since the release of Panama papers in 2015. A lot of moving parts need need to be coordinated with allied nations. Especially if unsealing indictments and putting people on trial risks revealing agents and confidential sources.

Adam Jensen is going to be very disappointed when the Democrats and Republicans make a deal behind closed doors not to prosecute Trump in order to protect the status quo corruption endemic in our political system. He'll hear about it, though, so at least he'll be able to tell us about it.

Seanchaidh:
the Democrats and Republicans make a deal behind closed doors

It's not up to them.

Adam Jensen:

Seanchaidh:

It's not up to them.

Oh? Is there some other collection of elected officials who vote on impeachment?

Seanchaidh:

Adam Jensen:

Seanchaidh:

It's not up to them.

Oh? Is there some other collection of elected officials who vote on impeachment?

It's a good thing you're not a politician. You'd be a pretty crappy one. See, they'll have to do it. No one's gonna risk their career to protect Trump once shit hits the fan. Trump's sons and possibly even Ivanka are going to prison and even if he tries to pardon them the pardon won't be worth the paper it was written on. Only a complete retard will stand behind Trump when the time comes. Anyone with a brain will jump ship. The only loyalists that remain will be the ones that are involved to such a degree that the FBI didn't even bother to offer them a plea deal. And the only reason Republicans are reluctant to act now is because they're trying to salvage as much power and influence as possible for mid-term elections. It's all they really care about. And Democrats bet their entire reputation on opposing Trump.

Adam Jensen:
See, they'll have to do it.

They'll have to do it. But genocide in Yemen is negotiable. Five thousand dead in Puerto Rico is fine. Life isn't a novel; public opinion doesn't matter (and isn't influenced by shit like this) anywhere near as much as you think; they don't have to do anything. If they want to burn Trump, they can. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that.

Seanchaidh:
public opinion doesn't matter

Why do you think he's still in the White House? Most Republican politicians hate his guts.

Adam Jensen:
Why do you think he's still in the White House? Most Republican politicians hate his guts.

And yet they keep voting favorably on policies he wants, and if they hated his guts so much they'd have impeached him already. He's already in impeachable territory.

It was practically over before Mueller was appointed.

Stop exaggerating.

See, they'll have to do it.

No they won't.

No one's gonna risk their career to protect Trump once shit hits the fan.

Shit hasn't stopped hitting the fan, and the most politicians have gotten to standing up was warning Trump to not order Mueller fired. Simply because the deluge of shit pouring onto their heads increases doesn't mean they're going to actually object to it.

Dr. Thrax:
Shit hasn't stopped hitting the fan

You have NO idea where this is going.

Adam Jensen:

Well not everyone has a little friend in high places telling them things they probably shouldn't.
I stand by my statement.
Shit hasn't stopped hitting the fan.

Adam Jensen:

Seanchaidh:
public opinion doesn't matter

Why do you think he's still in the White House?

Because he signs on the dotted line for policies Republican (and many Democrat) donors want.

Dr. Thrax:

Adam Jensen:

Well not everyone has a little friend in high places telling them things they probably shouldn't.

I don't have friends in high places and none of the things I know are actually secrets. Aside from that one thing I mentioned earlier. But since it sounds like a conspiracy theory, fuck it, no one gives a shit.

Seanchaidh:
Because he signs on the dotted line for policies Republican (and many Democrat) donors want.

Nope. Any Republican would do that. Trump ruined their party. They are aware of this, they're just too chickenshit and too shortsighted to act right now.

Adam Jensen:
Nope. Any Republican would do that.

Any Republican isn't the President of the United States. (Although it's possible Any Republican could have become President of the United States in 2016.)

More to the point, Obama could have prosecuted the war criminals of the Bush administration-- including George W. Bush himself-- but he didn't. That would have been divisive. And, it turns out, hypocritical. Servants of the establishment get away with it. Trump serves the establishment.

Seanchaidh:
Trump serves the establishment.

He serves himself. He just didn't piss off or scare the establishment enough yet.

Adam Jensen:

Seanchaidh:
Trump serves the establishment.

He serves himself. He just didn't piss off or scare the establishment enough yet.

The establishment consists entirely of the self-serving. That's kind of the point of it.

Seanchaidh:
The establishment consists entirely of the self-serving. That's kind of the point of it.

There's a difference with Trump. Republicans, for better or worse, tend to be loyal to each other. At least to a degree. And they tend to share the loot. Trump is all in for himself and he will throw anyone under the bus if he can get a nickle out of it. He doesn't share even with other Republicans.

Adam Jensen:

Seanchaidh:

There's a difference with Trump. Republicans, for better or worse, tend to be loyal to each other. At least to a degree. And they tend to share the loot. Trump is all in for himself and he will throw anyone under the bus if he can get a nickle out of it. He doesn't share even with other Republicans.

The relationship between Trump and the Republican establishment revolves around exactly one fact: that the Republican establishment is the only thing standing between Trump and impeachment.

The Republican establishment is not pleased with Trump. The base loves him because he riles them up with dog whistles and identity politics and big fat promises concealing big fat lies, and because they only listen to Fox News, which has nothing but good things to say about him. But the establishment hates him; he's unpredictable, stubborn, and unreliable. They would much prefer President Pence, who would have the exact same policy sympathies but who would be predictable, pliable, and reliable.

But they cannot come out about impeaching Trump because they're really worried about backlash from the base. They've seen what happened to Bob Corker and Jeff Flake. That's why so many Republicans are retiring this November, like a flock of birds fleeing from an incoming earthquake. Their political careers depend upon kowtowing to the God-Emperor, but the God-Emperor is a colossal asshole, and they hate him.

So flip that onto Trump, and you see why Trump is governing the way he is. On immigration and race issues that Republicans don't care terribly much about, Trump is running hog-wild. But on substantive policy issues like taxes, government spending, and military action, Trump is doing everything that the establishment tells him to do. Because if he crosses them on something that actually matters to them - like the size of their donor's tax bill - he will be out on his ass. He knows he'll never be indicted; even if he is, he's destroyed the evidence already. But impeachment is a real threat. There are Republicans who publicly spend all day sucking Trump's asshole but privately bitch about him endlessly, because he makes their life ten times as difficult as it was before. If they were allowed to vote on impeachment in camera, Trump would be fucking doomed.

He knows it. He's got them by the balls, but they have him by the balls too. It's a mutual ball-clenching Mexican standoff, and I bet Trump is super pissed about the Mexican part.

bastardofmelbourne:
He knows he'll never be indicted

Already done. Sealed and ready.

Seanchaidh:
Any Republican isn't the President of the United States. (Although it's possible Any Republican could have become President of the United States in 2016.)

Against Clinton? Probably. Though to be fair I think virtually any non-Clinton Democrat could have beaten Trump. The primaries were such a race to the bottom. Honestly, I had hoped for Carson v Sanders, if only because that would have been an interesting race instead of a shit show.

Adam Jensen:

Dr. Thrax:

So why don't you tell us where this is going:

1. Who all do you think will be actually charged with something by the end of the year? By the end of next year? By the end of Trump's term (if not removed prematurely)? On what sorts of charges?

2. Who (if anyone) do you think will actually see trial, and in what timeframe?

3. Do you think an attempt to start impeachment proceedings against Trump will happen by the end of the year? By the end of next year? By the end of his term?

bastardofmelbourne:
He knows it. He's got them by the balls, but they have him by the balls too. It's a mutual ball-clenching Mexican standoff, and I bet Trump is super pissed about the Mexican part.

Schadrach:

Seanchaidh:

Against Clinton? Probably. Though to be fair I think virtually any non-Clinton Democrat could have beaten Trump. The primaries were such a race to the bottom. Honestly, I had hoped for Carson v Sanders, if only because that would have been an interesting race instead of a shit show.

Adam Jensen:

Dr. Thrax:

So why don't you tell us where this is going:

1. Who all do you think will be actually charged with something by the end of the year? By the end of next year? By the end of Trump's term (if not removed prematurely)? On what sorts of charges?

2. Who (if anyone) do you think will actually see trial, and in what timeframe?

3. Do you think an attempt to start impeachment proceedings against Trump will happen by the end of the year? By the end of next year? By the end of his term?

I can't give you an accurate timeline of actual events. That's up to the prosecutors. As for people that will likely be charged, see my earlier posts.

Adam Jensen:

Dr. Thrax:

I've had a lovely forum member before the Trump election arguing the same absolutisms you've been peddling. Do not recall the bloke's name and his avatar either changed or he left/was banned, which is a pity, but your discourse is eerily similar. Telling everyone Trump couldn't win, wouldn't win, we were stupid or misinformed for telling that Trump had a big, big chance of winning.

This kind of speech makes you immune to seeing the bigger picture. Funny how they "had to do it" in the past, with Bill Clinton. Shit didn't stick. Funny how Trump couldn't win, yet here we are. Dealing with absolutisms is almost always a bad thing, and in your case it leaves you blind and deaf to a changing complicated world of which the surface you can do nothing but stare in disbelief. So I'd seriously advice you to stop exaggerating about things you too know nothing about and have no idea where it's going. Mueller's investigation is not an absolute, and Trump can still find a way of getting out of this victorious. Your attitude will do nothing to change these facts.

JamesStone:

Adam Jensen:

Dr. Thrax:

I've had a lovely forum member before the Trump election arguing the same absolutisms you've been peddling. Do not recall the bloke's name and his avatar either changed or he left/was banned, which is a pity, but your discourse is eerily similar. Telling everyone Trump couldn't win, wouldn't win, we were stupid or misinformed for telling that Trump had a big, big chance of winning.

This kind of speech makes you immune to seeing the bigger picture. Funny how they "had to do it" in the past, with Bill Clinton. Shit didn't stick. Funny how Trump couldn't win, yet here we are. Dealing with absolutisms is almost always a bad thing, and in your case it leaves you blind and deaf to a changing complicated world of which the surface you can do nothing but stare in disbelief. So I'd seriously advice you to stop exaggerating about things you too know nothing about and have no idea where it's going. Mueller's investigation is not an absolute, and Trump can still find a way of getting out of this victorious. Your attitude will do nothing to change these facts.

We're on a weird train of agreeing with eachother lately.

Ever since Trump became President, I never assume anything is guaranteed until after it happens. A 99% chance to win is still a 1% chance to lose.

Until Trump is gone, I won't assume when it will happen. It really honestly scares me the idea of Trump not only not being impeached and removed, but him actually getting a second term, like, I am scared for my actual life on this.

JamesStone:
Funny how Trump couldn't win, yet here we are.

Yes, here we are. And here's the Special Counsel and the FBI investigating the president who only won because of what the FBI has been investigating.

Just remember kids, people thought that Watergate was going nowhere until the Watergate Seven were indicted. Remind me again, how many people were ultimately indicted in Watergate and did anyone see that coming?

FYI, the Trump situation (I won't call it Trump/Russia because by the end of this people will most likely remember it as something else entirely) is soooooo much worse than Watergate.

Adam Jensen:
Trump's sons and possibly even Ivanka are going to prison and even if he tries to pardon them the pardon won't be worth the paper it was written on.

So they'll be brought up on state charges rather than federal? Or they won't be charged until Trump is already out of office? Or will we simply discard that Trump has the power to pardon someone from federal crimes for reasons? Because I mean, I don't think Trump cares about his political image much or that of the party, and so long as Trump remains in office and the crimes are federal, his power to pardon is pretty damn broad.

Schadrach:
So they'll be brought up on state charges rather than federal? Or they won't be charged until Trump is already out of office? Or will we simply discard that Trump has the power to pardon someone from federal crimes for reasons? Because I mean, I don't think Trump cares about his political image much or that of the party, and so long as Trump remains in office and the crimes are federal, his power to pardon is pretty damn broad.

Did you know that many of the lawyers that Mueller brought on board were making millions and yet they still accepted this job?
I wonder why that is. Maybe there's a hint there.

Adam Jensen:

Schadrach:

Did you know that many of the lawyers that Mueller brought on board were making millions and yet they still accepted this job?
I wonder why that is. Maybe there's a hint there.

What, that they're looking for a payoff?

Seanchaidh:
What, that they're looking for a payoff?

Yeah, because government employees are known to make buckets of cash. Much more preferable than doing private work for rich people.

/s

Guess again. It isn't hard.

Adam Jensen:
Guess again. It isn't hard.

Just cut to the damn chase.
You aren't being coy, just annoying.

I refuse to do the thinking for others. Especially when it's simple fuckin' logic. So no, I won't cut to the chase. In fact I plan to be even more annoying.

Adam Jensen:
I refuse to do the thinking for others. Especially when it's simple fuckin' logic. So no, I won't cut to the chase. In fact I plan to be even more annoying.

Then get out of this discussion.
If you're not going to actually contribute your points to the discussion you have no place here. Nobody can argue with you because you want us to play a fucking guessing game as to what you're actually talking about. It's not about "thinking for others", it's about stop trying to play sly and tell us what the fuck you're talking about so we can either counter it or support it. That's how discussion works.

Adam Jensen:
Yeah, because government employees are known to make buckets of cash.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/166599-pelosis-net-worth-rises-62-percent-

Yeah, people who take advantage of their positions tend to be able to make a lot of money. I'm sure it's more plausible than whatever you have in mind.

Dr. Thrax:

Adam Jensen:

Then get out of this discussion.
If you're not going to actually contribute your points to the discussion you have no place here. Nobody can argue with you because you want us to play a fucking guessing game as to what you're actually talking about. It's not about "thinking for others", it's about stop trying to play sly and tell us what the fuck you're talking about so we can either counter it or support it. That's how discussion works.

He's saying that the lawyers and former prosecutors that Mueller has hired all left extremely lucrative, high-paying jobs in order to participate in Mueller's probe. This indicates either that they saw a huge payday from conducting a criminal investigation into the sitting President (unlikely) or that they both felt very strongly that the probe was justified and thought its chances of success were high enough to risk retaliation from the White House and a potential blacklisting from private practice should the whole thing implode.

That is, they figured they'd rather go and make history than sit at some private sector firm making a million dollars a year.

Seanchaidh:

Adam Jensen:
Yeah, because government employees are known to make buckets of cash.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/166599-pelosis-net-worth-rises-62-percent-

Yeah, people who take advantage of their positions tend to be able to make a lot of money. I'm sure it's more plausible than whatever you have in mind.

I really have no fucking idea how you expect any of the prosecutors on the Mueller probe to be making a payday off of it. Do you think they're angling for a multi-million dollar bribe?

"Investigating an unprecedentedly corrupt President in the face of unprecedented Congressional opposition" is not exactly a get-rich-quick scheme. If they're in this for personal profit, it'd be from something stupid like a C-grade book deal or whatever.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here