what is the largest hard drive I should put in a PC system

what is the largest hard drive I should put in a PC system.

I recall they were having problems with the PS4 if your hard drive was larger than 2 TB. I think it was that you couldn't load anything from disc. At 6 TB, all new problems (power button stops working or something).

If I build a PC with a 256 SSD for my boot drive and then have a 6 TB as my data storage drive (D:) do you think I'd have problems? Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

I have never heard of having too big a hard drive causing problems in a PC. Ever. Why sell them if they don't work?

If there would be an issue, it'd be incompatibility with the other parts in the machine, which is both very rare I think, and can't be commented on since you didn't mention any other parts.

SupahEwok:
I have never heard of having too big a hard drive causing problems in a PC. Ever. Why sell them if they don't work?

If there would be an issue, it'd be incompatibility with the other parts in the machine, which is both very rare I think, and can't be commented on since you didn't mention any other parts.

I did try to put a 4TB into a system made before there even was a 4TB (about 2010ish) and the thing never even recognized it! (I ended up putting 2 x external 4 TB drives on USB 3.0, 1 to play games on, the other, a backup of the first). I'd like to put a 6TB INTO my next build, with a 6 TB to having a running backup.

Gorfias:

SupahEwok:

I did try to put a 4TB into a system made before there even was a 4TB

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

In any case, if your system wouldn't recognize a hard drive, it could A) need drivers, B) you didn't plug in the SATA or power cables correctly, C) your motherboard required you to toggle a switch in BIOS to open up that SATA port, D) you needed to partition the drive, or E) the hard drive was broken. There is literally no compatibility issues relating to the amount of storage in any kind of storage drive.

SupahEwok:
D) you needed to partition the drive

I think this is correct. I'm old! I haven't seen this issue in 20 years but you're right. This is something I ran into in the past.

OK. I'm gonna do it. 256 SSD for OS and apps (office), 6 TB for games and data, external 6 TB for backup.

It's gonna happen. If I can get it all in place before the missus kills me for spending so much on fun stuff I don't have to have.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here