Laptop problem

I have an old acer laptop that has a black screen. I already took out the battery and put it back in, but it still doesn't work.

It just shows the logo and the screen turns black soon after. I can still access BIOS, but I don't know what to do.

Questions:

Was this a preexisting condition?
Is the hard drive intact?
Is there an installed OS on said drive?
Are you able to boot into safe mode by chance?

In the meantime I would suggest making a bootable usb stick with preferred OS of choice and instruct the bios to boot from usb instead of the drive to test if the laptop still functions as proper - there are several how to's on the net regarding this

If that don't work bust out a screw driver and replace the drive with a working one and test it out

If that also don't work see if you can salvage the data off the drive with the proper cable and call it a day

This screams drive issue to me

Gauche:
Questions:

Was this a preexisting condition?
Is the hard drive intact?
Is there an installed OS on said drive?
Are you able to boot into safe mode by chance?

In the meantime I would suggest making a bootable usb stick with preferred OS of choice and instruct the bios to boot from usb instead of the drive to test if the laptop still functions as proper - there are several how to's on the net regarding this

If that don't work bust out a screw driver and replace the drive with a working one and test it out

If that also don't work see if you can salvage the data off the drive with the proper cable and call it a day

This screams drive issue to me

It happened randomly. Everything was fine, until a blue screen of death came on and the screen turned off. It beeps whenever I press any key. The BIOS is still accessible. It could be a RAM failure, from the sources I've read.

I should mention that the laptop is over 10 years old.

Marik2:
It happened randomly. Everything was fine, until a blue screen of death came on and the screen turned off. It beeps whenever I press any key. The BIOS is still accessible. It could be a RAM failure, from the sources I've read.

I've never come across ram failure but reading into it I'm still leaning towards the issue being with the drive
Again, making a bootable usb stick is probably the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to see if the laptop still works without going under the hood

Old laptops need love too

Depending on your laptop motherboard/construction the ram might be far easier to reach then the drive
A long shot but if your lucky you might have two sticks of ram (probably ddr2) in there, in which case you could easily just switch in/out the stick to confirm which one is dead/dying that is if your OS can support the low ram
I still have my doubts that the culprit is ram failure but ya never know

Gauche:

Marik2:

I've never come across ram failure but reading into it I'm still leaning towards the issue being with the drive
Again, making a bootable usb stick is probably the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to see if the laptop still works without going under the hood

Old laptops need love too

Depending on your laptop motherboard/construction the ram might be far easier to reach then the drive
A long shot but if your lucky you might have two sticks of ram (probably ddr2) in there, in which case you could easily just switch in/out the stick to confirm which one is dead/dying that is if your OS can support the low ram
I still have my doubts that the culprit is ram failure but ya never know

I bought a new battery for it after the old one fried a year ago. Everything was fine for 2 days, until I tried to open a small indie game and the blue screen of death popped up.

I'm not familiar with laptops, but I've done my fair share of breaking and fixing both software and hardware on regular PC's and to me it's sounds like it could be either the graphics card or the PSU. You should definitely do like Gauche suggested and boot something like Ubuntu from an USB.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here