21st Birthday Speech

I have to give a short speech at a very close friend's 21st birthday party. I have some idea about how to proceed, but I'm still interested in any general advice you folk might have.

Things to keep in mind:

- His parents, some additional family and other grown-up boring people will be there.
- It's tomorrow, so I don't have the time to make something complicated such as a short film/video.

Dont be offensive but embarras him a little.

Highlights of his life (the good kind and the sort of good kind, and maybe some bad ones but with a good spin to them) that speak of what kind of person he is/has become.

Always good to start with:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve...."
Edit: Now having actually read the OP I see that my post is in fact useless...
My bad

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
Always good to start with:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve...."
Edit: Now having actually read the OP I see that my post is in fact useless...
My bad

Or consider "I was born at a very young age."

Just bust out his baby pictures.

Try to think of a light-hearted, funny story. Everyone can appreciate a slightly embarassing moment or feel-good story.

latenightapplepie:
I have to give a short speech at a very close friend's 21st birthday party. I have some idea about how to proceed, but I'm still interested in any general advice you folk might have.

Things to keep in mind:

- His parents, some additional family and other grown-up boring people will be there.
- It's tomorrow, so I don't have the time to make something complicated such as a short film/video.

My advice is to start off sincere, add a little embarrassment in the middle but finish it with genuine care and consideration. That's how I do most of my speeches like that. I've had to do a couple, and it adds a sort of build up with the serious start, then the humor, then the well timed ending when everyone's in a joyous mood from the humor. :D

21st birthday party? A speech? Isn't that a bit... Oh, well I dunno.

I spent mine at work, followed by building a fence for dogs. Got one message stating "Nice birthday you have there", how heartily I laughed.

Just improvise it on the spot. It can't be that formal.

A 21st birthday speech? Never heard of those before....

The other posters here are offering sound advise, i don't need to contribute further unless you want me to write a script!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked