The Technology Help Corner.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

AWAR:

Rosiv:
I have another question. I think after its last update MalwareBytes has gone to a 30 trial version, and im not sure if there is a free version anymore. So are there any alternatives to it? Im using AvG atm, but i was wondering if there was anything dedicated to spyware/malware removal.

MWbytes is free, you just got tricked to checking the box for the trial version when you last updated. Simply uninstall it and download the free version from the MWbytes website.

Bah, thanks again awar, always apriciate your help.

Hello, fellow escapists:

Currently at home I have my router and my PC at the upper floor. I have 2 PLCs (let's say they have a capacity of X) so I can send signal to my father's laptop in the lower floor. Recently my brother has moved back in, and he has his own PC in a different room in the lower floor. Is it possible to buy a 2X PLC to add to the net? I would put that on the upper floor, so that it has double capacity than the ones working as exit.

In other words, do PLCs work only on pairs, or can I use 3 of them?
In case I can use 3 of them, can one of them use a greater capacity than the other two?

Thanks!

Hi!

So I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC, but I've run into a bit of a snag with the processor. Namely, if that processor is compatible with my motherboard.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3. The processor in question is an AMD FX-SERIES FX-4300.

It says that the processor socket is an AM3+, but my motherboard has an AM3 socket. Will the processor work for me?

Thanks in advance!

Dyan:
snip

According to this no. What is your current processor?

AWAR:

Dyan:
snip

According to this no. What is your current processor?

AMD Phenom II X3. I don't see any Intel processors on there. Does my motherboard just not support any?

Dyan:
snip

No, Intel processors have radically different sockets. You can only install the processors included in this list.
I'd suggest getting a used phenom ii x4 960 or similar. Or you could skip the upgrade for now and get a new MoBo and a processor in the future.

Is it possible to connect a internal DvD drive with something other than a Sata cable to my motherboard, i was just curious, and googling didnt seem to help.

Rosiv:
Is it possible to connect a internal DvD drive with something other than a Sata cable to my motherboard, i was just curious, and googling didnt seem to help.

There are SATA-to-IDE converters, though I'm not sure how well they work, or what they cost. Do you need it for any specific purpose?

Twinrehz:

Rosiv:

There are SATA-to-IDE converters, though I'm not sure how well they work, or what they cost. Do you need it for any specific purpose?

My motherboard is too small to fit the sata cables and a GPU so i either have to get Left angled sata cables which are more expensive than the regular ones, or only use 1 sata port for the HDD, and let the Sata cable for the DvD drive be some other type of connector, but thank you either way.

Rosiv:

Twinrehz:

Rosiv:

My motherboard is too small to fit the sata cables and a GPU so i either have to get Left angled sata cables which are more expensive than the regular ones, or only use 1 sata port for the HDD, and let the Sata cable for the DvD drive be some other type of connector, but thank you either way.

Two more options are getting a SATA to USB adaptor (usually involves routing the USB cable to the back panels) or, more practically, getting a PCI (or PCIexpress) SATA card to give your system more SATA ports. Which you get would depend on your motherboard and case.

After a few hours of use on my computer, the connection fails and I can't get it to work again without restarting. Also, if I restart using the start menu and not manually, my computer will say "Shutting Down" for 5 minutes and I then get a BSOD saying something about driver failure.

Professor James:
After a few hours of use on my computer, the connection fails and I can't get it to work again without restarting. Also, if I restart using the start menu and not manually, my computer will say "Shutting Down" for 5 minutes and I then get a BSOD saying something about driver failure.

Stuff I need to know:
1) What kind of computer? Laptop, desktop, tablet? What brand?
2) Are your drivers up to date?
3) What operating system are you on? (I'm assuming Win7, but assuming never got me anywhere).
4) Have you tried anything yourself to remedy the situation?
5) How skilled are you with computers and operating systems? (It tells me how technical I can get without confusing the shit out of you).

1. Cybertron PC Desktop, Exact Model escapes me now.
2. I just updated my graphic and audio drivers, I'm having trouble finding updates for the others but they're all game/accessory related and should have nothing to do with my problem.
3. Windows 7 64 bit
4. Just Basic Troubleshooting and not much else.
5. I know how to basic troubleshoot and know terms like CPU and RAM but I don't know what to do with them or even where they're located.

I haven't tried restarting yet but it has been some time since the problem occurred so it might have passed on.

Professor James:
-snip-

I'm assuming that's a prebuilt machine. If the BSOD pops up again (or if you can make it pop up again), check the text and see if you can find the name of said driver that caused it. It will be possible to google that, and it might give you a name on the driver that requires update.

There is also the possibility that the BSOD is caused by hardware failure, so if updating the driver doesn't help (or if it's caused by a driver you've already updated), then that sounds like something in the hardware is failing. How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

Gaming peripherals seldom cause BSOD, as they're not critical for system operation. Unless one of them are short circuiting the port they're connected to, it's not likely to be the problem.

EDIT: Won't be back until sunday, so I won't be able to respond any more to your problem until then.

Twinrehz:

Professor James:
-snip-

I'm assuming that's a prebuilt machine. If the BSOD pops up again (or if you can make it pop up again), check the text and see if you can find the name of said driver that caused it. It will be possible to google that, and it might give you a name on the driver that requires update.

There is also the possibility that the BSOD is caused by hardware failure, so if updating the driver doesn't help (or if it's caused by a driver you've already updated), then that sounds like something in the hardware is failing. How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

Gaming peripherals seldom cause BSOD, as they're not critical for system operation. Unless one of them are short circuiting the port they're connected to, it's not likely to be the problem.

EDIT: Won't be back until sunday, so I won't be able to respond any more to your problem until then.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Jared_Mcvey/media/IMG_0199_zps08add7e8.jpg.html " alt="image"/>

It just says Driver power state failure although I'm not what the numbers after STOP means.

Professor James:
-snip-

This can apparently be caused by a faulty USB-device, are any devices you have connected via USB acting up under normal use? Disconnect all USB devices, and see if you can reproduce the error again.

Hello! I've been having a strange problem recently with my internet. I recently moved to a new place and got a new ISP. Got two computers one a laptop and one a desktop, but I use one cable for both (switching the cable between the 2). The laptop is fine, but whenever I use my desktop my internet speed becomes horrendously choppy. Sometimes it works decently enough, but othertimes it's completely useless.

I thought it was a problem with the port, so I bought a network card, it worked for 5 minutes, and then fell back into bad habits. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

thank u guys post is very informative

I've recently got into PC gaming and I've run into a issue with my gamepad (Xbox 360 wired PC controller).

Whenever I plug it in all my other USB devices become unrecognizable. I have to restart my computer in order for everything to work again. It only happens with the devices that are plugged into an external hub; my mouse, keyboard, & printer (plugged directly into the tower) are not affected.

The gamepad works fine. If I unplug everything else before plugging the gamepad in then unplug the game before hooking it all back up, everything still works.

any ideas or am I in the wrong place?

I'm having problems with the forums because it says I'm sussing a proxy server, it won't let me send PM at the moment. As far as I know i have no proxy connections configured, nor have fiddled with anything of the sort. But my ISP does give the service but as far as I know they don't own the cables and probably servers renting it from another ISP. Could that be the cause?

Hello!

Lately, I've had a problem with trying to play videos on Youtube with Google Chrome. I know it's a problem with Google Chrome because the videos play just fine with Internet explorer. What's really weird is that older videos play just fine on Chrome, but when it comes to later updates, the videos just won't play.

I thought at first that it was because my Flash Player needed to be updated, but I noticed that I already had the latest version. I then checked if there were any problems with my plug-ins, but I couldn't find any.

I'm honestly at loss as to what to do. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a clue as to what's wrong?

I have a major issue that I need to solve, hopefully without having to spend money on a new part for a computer I don't plan on keeping much longer.

So, recently I upgraded to Windows 8.1 on my desktop. As someone who actually likes the OS overall, it was all good until I started having issues with my internet. I'm on a wifi connection shared by myself and my parents, and though I'm in the basement and the router is upstairs, before this I've never had issues with my connection and even now I have next to no problems on my laptop or phone.

I can connect to our home wifi no problem, and most webpages load fine (though loading is generally slow). However, I can barely watch youtube videos (having to constantly pause them and wait for them to load), and when I try to play Champions Online I experience severe lag and constant disconnects.

I did my best to find up-to-date drivers for my network card, and that helped a little, but not much (and not for very long). I've tried a few other "solutions" I found through google but so far nothing has worked. I'm about ready to throw my computer out the window, I really don't want to be stuck on my laptop all the time.

Here are my computer's specs and the network card I'm using:
Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit)
Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
4 GB RAM

Network adapters:
DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card (Qualcomm Atheros driver, version 3.0.1.155, which my PC tells me is the 'latest version')
Realtek PCIe Family Controller

The computer is a Dell, Windows is up-to-date, and while it's no gaming rig it's decent for whatever else I need to do--or was, before this problem arose. I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows 7 (my computer was much slower with it and I don't have an installation disc).

I'm at my wit's end with this problem, I have no idea how to solve it.

Welp, another question for the thread here.

I got a little question about upgrading. You see, I'm running an AMD Phenom X4 965 CPU with an AMD 6870. I've been noticing that my video RAM ain't really cutting it any more in modern days. So I've been thinking of buying an AMD Radeon 270, which is quite affordable.

Question is; is it really worth upgrading with my current CPU, or will my CPU bottleneck anyway? Hell, is the 270 even good enough an upgrade over the 6870? At least one that warrants spending about €120. You never know with rebranding and all that.

Okay this problem is getting worse and I don't know what is causing it. Within 3-8 hours, my internet connection stops working and no troubleshooter can fix it; the only solution is restarting the whole computer. I have a Belkin N F5D8053 adapter but I don't think it's the problem because the light is still on after the problem hits. If I restart the computer through windows and not the program after this happens, I get a BSOD (it said caused by driver failure). Can anyone provide insight on what is causing this issue?

So I'm upgrading my computer (new mobo and cpu) and was wondering if they would work all right with my PSU.
The new parts are:

1. Gigabyte AM3+/70A-D3 Motherboard

2. AMD FX8320 X8 CPU

And my current specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 730

RAM: 8GB

PSU: Chieftec GPS 550-AB-A

UPDATE: Forgot the PSU...

Dyan:
So I'm upgrading my computer (new mobo and cpu) and was wondering if they would work all right with my PSU.
The new parts are:

1. Gigabyte AM3+/70A-D3 Motherboard

2. AMD FX8320 X8 CPU

And my current specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 730

RAM: 8GB

PSU: Chieftec GPS 550-AB-A

UPDATE: Forgot the PSU...

Get rid of that power supply before upgrading anything else, make sure the replacement is from a reputable manufacturer and is at least 80+ rated.

Cowabungaa:

I got a little question about upgrading. You see, I'm running an AMD Phenom X4 965 CPU with an AMD 6870. I've been noticing that my video RAM ain't really cutting it any more in modern days. So I've been thinking of buying an AMD Radeon 270, which is quite affordable.

Question is; is it really worth upgrading with my current CPU, or will my CPU bottleneck anyway? Hell, is the 270 even good enough an upgrade over the 6870? At least one that warrants spending about €120. You never know with rebranding and all that.

A phenom 965 will handle anything up to a R9 280 without bottlenecking, especially if you apply a modest overclock. To answer your second question, a 270 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade over a 6870.

Hey guys got offered a deal for a MSI Geforce GTX 660 for $100. Should i go for it or wait for something better? Current card is Radeon HD 5770.

bobthebot:

Cowabungaa:

A phenom 965 will handle anything up to a R9 280 without bottlenecking, especially if you apply a modest overclock. To answer your second question, a 270 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade over a 6870.

That's pretty sweet. Now my question is; I know the 270 gives you a lot of bang for your buck, but does the same apply to the R9 280? Because I could save up just a little more and go for that one instead of the 270. Or is the R9 270X a better choice?

I can get the 270 for around €165, the 270X for about €185 and the 280 for about €205. What to pick what to pick...

Cowabungaa:

bobthebot:

Cowabungaa:

That's pretty sweet. Now my question is; I know the 270 gives you a lot of bang for your buck, but does the same apply to the R9 280? Because I could save up just a little more and go for that one instead of the 270. Or is the R9 270X a better choice?

I can get the 270 for around €165, the 270X for about €185 and the 280 for about €205. What to pick what to pick...

Video cards tend to have diminishing returns when it comes to gpu horsepower, but I would still go with the 280 just for that extra gig of vram. When you make your decision, keep in mind that AMD is probably going to have a new line of cards out by q2 next year.

TLDR: In picture with the circled yellow, JAUDI, JUSB2, JFP1 and JFP2 are the cables that I want extended, could someone link me to an item that has those extensions, i am not very computer-savvy.

This is an extension of my question from a recent post in the advice forum, but i was a bit illiterate in what the person described to me.

For the picture with the circled yellow, JAUDI, JUSB2, JFP1 and JFP2 are the cables that i have connected and working so far.

I want those to be extended, so i can throw in a new Gpu, but the suggestions given to me, i am not sure if the ports that are shown on the picture are the same as the ones described in the item description. I tried to read my manual for more information, but was confused.

http://www.amazon.com/CB-FRPAN-Individually-Sleeved-Connections-Premium/dp/B003ZDNXZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416850050&sr=8-3&keywords=front+panel+connector+extension

'
'
and
'
'

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-18-Inch-Internal-Motherboard-USBINT5PINMF/dp/B005G306UK/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1416850254&sr=8-18&keywords=front+panel+extension
were suggested to me.

So do i need both or just the first one?

Hey guys, looking for an opinion on something:

So I want to upgrade my GPU as it's horribly outdated by now (Nvidia GTX 285, 1GB) and I have 2 in mind. I've been very happy with Nvidia what with PhysX support and such but I'm on a tight budget, so I was looking at either a GTX 680 or GTX 770 with 2GB. The 770 is newer, but I've heard that there are certain things that the 680 still does better and I can get one on eBay for cheaper. They have almost identical specs and architecture so it's a bit hard to tell. Does anybody have experience with these two cards and can offer some advice?

Trust me I'd love to get a 780 or TITAN, but my budget just won't allow for it.

TLDR: Can anyone link me to a site where there is a "9 pin internal usb header M/F" OR tell me if i can use a 10 pin one in replacement of a 9pin one, by "removing" one of the pins?
'
'
'
'

This is an extension to my previous question,

so im not sure if i should edit it or make this new one, since it technically is a different question.I am trying to find a 9 pin internal usb header M/F, but after googling over and over again i cant find anything. Im not sure if its due to my inexperiences or lack of abundance of these parts. So, if on a motherboard, there are pins for 9 "connections" for a internal usb "wire", could i substitute that with a cable that has not 9 holes, but 10? If my question sounds confusing, i am not very computer literate.

The picture below details my problem in more depth. The one on the left of the black line being the connector in my motherboard at the moment, and the one of the right being one that could suit my needs, athough it has 10 slots, where as my connector has 9 pins.

Rosiv:
TLDR: Can anyone link me to a site where there is a "9 pin internal usb header M/F" OR tell me if i can use a 10 pin one in replacement of a 9pin one, by "removing" one of the pins?
'
'
'
'

This is an extension to my previous question,

so im not sure if i should edit it or make this new one, since it technically is a different question.I am trying to find a 9 pin internal usb header M/F, but after googling over and over again i cant find anything. Im not sure if its due to my inexperiences or lack of abundance of these parts. So, if on a motherboard, there are pins for 9 "connections" for a internal usb "wire", could i substitute that with a cable that has not 9 holes, but 10? If my question sounds confusing, i am not very computer literate.

The picture below details my problem in more depth. The one on the left of the black line being the connector in my motherboard at the moment, and the one of the right being one that could suit my needs, athough it has 10 slots, where as my connector has 9 pins.

Off the top of my head the missing pin is another ground which isn't actually needed, it should work.

For a few days, my computer has been a bit choppy. Today, I checked on Ccleaner and on system properties and it says that my cpu is an amd engineering sample with only 1.6 ghz. I have done no hardware modification of my computer of any sort. I don't know what is happening or what to do.

Edit: my processor was an AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core 3.1 Ghz Processor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or