Going to a music festival..... alone?

There's a big music festival in an area not too far from me soon. The majority of the people around here doesn't listen to the same music so i haven't been to a concert since early winter. This combined with the fact that a few of my favorite artists are performing means i really want to go.

The problem is that i can't convince any of my friends to come with me, they claim it's too expensive (around 150 dollars). My protests that the festival lasts for two days and that there are international superstars there doesn't seem to sway them.

I'm a little concerned that tickets will run out, so i'm thinking of buying one and going there myself if i can't convince anyone. I have been attending concerts solo before, but i guess its a bit different at festivals.

For those that have attended similiar events: Is it pointless to go alone? Or will I be too dazed from the performances to care? Will people talk to me or is everyone busy hanging out with their friends?

I do have relatives in the area so if i wanted to i could probably sleep/hang around there and only attend the performances i want to see. I'm not really worried about getting jumped, Sweden has a low robbery/assault and if shit hits the fan i think my boxing and working out will deter most. There will be tons of people around anyways.

What do you think? Should i buy tickets and eventually go there alone? And if so, any adivce?

ChaoticKraus:
Snip

By any chance are you going to see System of a down? :)

OT: If there are bands you really, really wanna see then it's probably worth it. Just be careful if your going alone really, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Go and make new friends. Should be great fun.

Went to a festival with just one of my friends few years back. We didnt like the same bands so we split up like 90% of the festival. So I just made some new friends in the crowd, talk to people at the bars etc. It's not that different from solo concerts, you just have a shitload more catering.

Depends on how far you mean by "in an area not too far". But yeah I would say go for it, I mean I myself have missed concerts I wanted to go simply because my friends either weren't into the type of music or were too broke. I got smart and started going by myself, and I'm glad I did. Otherwise I would have missed Stone Temple Pilots playing in Detroit.

Just out of Curiosity what Festival is it?

It depends on how good you are at meeting people and how comfortable you are being on your own. It probably won't be as fun as having your friends there, but if you're in it for the music, go for it.

ChaoticKraus:
For those that have attended similiar events: Is it pointless to go alone? Or will I be too dazed from the performances to care? Will people talk to me or is everyone busy hanging out with their friends?

I'm sure you may feel a little uncomfortable being alone when many people may be going with friends, at first anyway, but eventually you really won't notice. Of course it's more fun to go with friends, but it can be just as much fun going solo. It's more about the experience, than who you share it with. That's just a bonus.

I do have relatives in the area so if i wanted to i could probably sleep/hang around there and only attend the performances i want to see. I'm not really worried about getting jumped, Sweden has a low robbery/assault and if shit hits the fan i think my boxing and working out will deter most. There will be tons of people around anyways.

Personally I'd stay as much as possible, to really get your money's worth. At worst, you'll discover that you don't really enjoy particular bands, at best you'll discover new bands you enjoy. But having the option of getting away from the noise and large amount of people is always a good thing to keep as an option.

What do you think? Should i buy tickets and eventually go there alone? And if so, any adivce?

Get your ticket, don't wait until you've convinced a friend or two to join you. But feel free to continue to try and persuade your friends to join you. Again, worst comes to worst, you go alone, which is what you were prepared for anyway. At best, you convince a friend or two to join you. At least this way you won't miss out on the opportunity altogether 'cause you decided to wait to buy your ticket.

Overall, if there are performers you really want to see, and you can afford the ticket price, then go for it. Don't wait, but don't stop trying to get someone to go with you. There's the chance you'll feel uncomfortable for part of the day(s), but really, it shouldn't be reason enough not to go.

Great replies guys! I will book it as soon as i have a chance. Kudos for giving me the confidence!

Lionsfan:
Just out of Curiosity what Festival is it?

It's called Way Out West and is in a city called Göteborg in Sweden.

Dark Knifer:
By any chance are you going to see System of a down? :)

Nope they don't play there, i'm going there to see Kanye West, DJ Tiesto and Robyn mainly. But it's always interesting to see other bands.

ChaoticKraus:

It is definitely not pointless to go alone, as long as you are comfortable doing so and you are happy in your own confidence. I work in Festivals in the UK and people do go on their own and they have a great time, and the first year I even worked at as many as possible I did so on my own and had to experience them for the first time on my own. It was amazing. I found out so much about my own love of music and what I enjoyed without the influence or having to worry about other people and what they want to do.

The festivals we have, people are super friendly, make friends with your neighbours if you are camping. They are usually cool, and will sometimes let you join them for the evening and you can make some new mates. Some aren't always so welcoming, but if you walk a little further down you'll find some awesome peeps. Just put on a bit of confidence and totally wing it.

Festivals to me are about the whole experience and some of the best ones I ever attended I didn't have to worry about keeping my friends happy.

The only other advice I would have is just make sure you read the festival's website with the information section and just be aware of your own personal safety as well as knowing where things are and what to do in the event of *blank*. This applies to everyone but when things go wrong, it can feel worse when you're on your own and this will obviously help those nerves :)

EmzOLV:
snip

Thanks man, tips from experience are the best kind. I'll put on my charisma hat, swagger pants and be as social as i can be.

ChaoticKraus:

EmzOLV:
snip

Thanks man, tips from experience are the best kind. I'll put on my charisma hat, swagger pants and be as social as i can be.

Oooo can I also add, remember you don't have to become mates with everyone you meet (there's always some *****) :) the few you do have a fun connection are enough!

I remember when my mate Steve and I went to Download last year and we got so horrendously drunk, we wobbled out of the tent and as soon as we were like, 10ft from our tent we started singing the first part of this song and after the first line, around 20 people from around us just joined in automatically. It was an amazing moment!

ChaoticKraus:

It's called Way Out West and is in a city called Göteborg in Sweden.

Nope they don't play there, i'm going there to see Kanye West, DJ Tiesto and Robyn mainly. But it's always interesting to see other bands.

Damn that a pretty good lineup you've got, the three you said and some of the other attendees (I checked the others online). I hope Kanye puts on a good show, I'm gonna try and see Kanye when he comes back Stateside this summer and I don't want to go to a shit concert

Lionsfan:
Damn that a pretty good lineup you've got, the three you said and some of the other attendees (I checked the others online). I hope Kanye puts on a good show, I'm gonna try and see Kanye when he comes back Stateside this summer and I don't want to go to a shit concert

I know right? Can't believe my pals are so cheap that they would miss that! You know i'm so damn envious of you 'mericans because of all the nice concerts. Everytime i hear of some artist i like is touring it's in the US only.

ChaoticKraus:

I know right? Can't believe my pals are so cheap that they would miss that! You know i'm so damn envious of you 'mericans because of all the nice concerts. Everytime i hear of some artist i like is touring it's in the US only.

At least you guys have Festivals though (or so I've heard). Here we just have Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza as "The Big Ones" and everything else is kinda region specific (Country USA) or low key setting (a la Warped Tour)

Definitely a nice line-up, though I've already got 3 or 4 other festivals planned for the summer, so i'm not coming up to Sweden for another one ;)
Definitely also check out Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, lot's of fun and energy in their shows (or at least the one I saw)

OT: I've never gone to a festival on my own, but I've spent a few by myself due to either losing my friends (pre-mobile phone era) or dumping them because I wanted to see different bands. You'll run into other people easy enough (if you're not me, I'm way too shy to talk to people)

Lionsfan:
At least you guys have Festivals though (or so I've heard). Here we just have Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza as "The Big Ones" and everything else is kinda region specific (Country USA) or low key setting (a la Warped Tour)

True, i guess it gives us some lobbying power to bring your music giants over here!

Eleuthera:
Definitely also check out Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, lot's of fun and energy in their shows (or at least the one I saw)

Thanks for the tip! Energized live shows can make good music awesome.

I went to Wacken festival in Germany (I live in the UK) ON my own and it was my first festival. I was really anxious about it for a week or so before and I had an amazing time! I've been with friends since and you know what, I enjoyed it more alone. With no safe little group to be in you can meet some really interesting people, yeah be careful and I haven't been to one in the UK but at wacken everyone is there for the same thing, to enjoy themselves and you can have an amazing time. I ended up slaughtered from all the germal beer with 2 germans, an australian an american and a Norwegian, it was epic!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked