140 GB of hard drive space MIA

Hello Escapist.

I bought a 1.5 TB external hard drive off of Amazon, it had good reviews on it and the only cons didn't apply to me. It arrived today and was a breeze to set up, and I'm enjoying it thus far.

Except, well..

Now this has happened to me before, but the loss was so minor [1] that I wasn't interested in taking the time to fix it. 140 GB is sort of a big deal, however, and I'd love to know how to get it back.

Yes, it's brand new.

[1] A couple hundred megabytes or one or two gigabytes

Go into your disk management and check for a blank partition.

Grospoliner:

Alright, just checked, there's no partitions apparently. Trying to "Recover bad sectors" at the moment. Sounds promising but I've been at it for about 2 and a half hours and it's only half done.

That's a pretty big chunk! I'd recommend checking your OS's disk management settings. I'm missing a good hundred gig in my computer options though, so evidently it didn't work as well as I wanted for me. Just try a few optimisations, you aren't going to get the whole drive since apparently some has to be sacrificed to Anubis, but playing with formatting and disk management should get you a decent amount of storage freed up.

Motiv_:

Grospoliner:

Alright, just checked, there's no partitions apparently. Trying to "Recover bad sectors" at the moment. Sounds promising but I've been at it for about 2 and a half hours and it's only half done.

Nah if the HDD had space missing on an unformatted partition, it would show up under disk managment as an unformatted partition that's not active. It would be a box with a black line and some hashmarkings. Typically HDDs are about 90% of their advertised space. That extra 10% goes to system stuff and isn't available ever, so if it doesn't show up as a partition then its really not there to be found. Since I didn't pay that much attention initially I should have mentioned that before hand. So in fact your 1.5 TB (.90) is really 1.35 TB.

Grospoliner:

Motiv_:

Grospoliner:

Nah if the HDD had space missing on an unformatted partition, it would show up under disk managment as an unformatted partition that's not active. It would be a box with a black line and some hashmarkings. Typically HDDs are about 90% of their advertised space. That extra 10% goes to system stuff and isn't available ever, so if it doesn't show up as a partition then its really not there to be found. Since I didn't pay that much attention initially I should have mentioned that before hand. So in fact your 1.5 TB (.90) is really 1.35 TB.

Well fuck. Unfortunate, but thanks for letting me know. I guess this thread can be locked now.

Grospoliner:
Typically HDDs are about 90% of their advertised space. That extra 10% goes to system stuff and isn't available ever, so if it doesn't show up as a partition then its really not there to be found.

That 'extra 10%' doesn't exist... the problem is that the advertised space is calculated on base 1000 but computer storage is done on base 1024... So they'll sell you a HDD with 1,500,000,000,000 bytes and claim it's 1.5TB but the computer sees it as 146484750KB -> 1430511MB -> 1396GB -> 1.36TB

This is PERFECTLY normal. In fact I have a RAID of 2 1.5TB HDDs losing 280GB (So the exact same ratio)

As everyone else said, normal. My 2TB drive has 1.81TB in reality.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked