Setting up a PS3 controller on Windows 7 64-bit

On my old computer (Vista 32-bit), I was able to use my PS3 controller to play games, through use of a SIXAXIS driver that I had found. However, I recently upgraded to a new computer (Windows 7 64-bit), and I was planning to get the PS3 controller set up again.

Now I've been searching online for a way to do this, and a majority of sources I've found say to use the MotionInJoy SIXAXIS driver software. However, one of the blogs I follow had a post about MotioninJoy, warning people against using it, as apparently, it's some form of spyware or malware. (Here's the link to the blog post, for reference: Hardcore Gaming 101 - Blog:PS3 Sixaxis on a x64 Windows PC)

Now the blog offers a alternative source for drivers, but the issue I have is that the instructions are translated poorly, thus making them hard to follow. (Here's the link to the driver pageTAMAMY's SIXAXIS/DualShock3 Device Drivers)

What's more, in either case, to get the drivers to work, you have to hit F8 when your computer is starting, and select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement'. For whatever reason, doing this makes me nervous, as I don't like to mess around with the more complicated functions of my computer, as I fear I'll screw something up.

What I'm asking is this: Has anyone been able to get a PS3 controller to work on a 64-bit version of Windows? If so, could you tell me how you were able to get it set-up?

Max Wilco:
snip

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I've used this before. It works, tho not perfectly (I vaguely remember having a bit of difficulty getting to to work for the first time, and it only worked by labeling the PS3 controller as a '360 controller')

tthor:

I've used this before. It works, tho not perfectly (I vaguely remember having a bit of difficulty getting to to work for the first time, and it only worked by labeling the PS3 controller as a '360 controller')

Yeah, but as I pointed out in the OP, the MotionInJoy software is not exactly on the up-and-up. Apparently, the software needs to connect to a server, and download the driver files.

The blog post that I linked to described it like this:

HG101 Blog:
They state quite clearly that because their drivers are unsigned you need to boot x64 versions of Windows while holding F8 and then from the menu choose to ignore mandatory signature enforcement. I did this. Then I downloaded it, did a virus scan and then ran it.

Anyway, after running it, suddenly ESET, NoScripts and a couple of other safety countermeasures were giving off RED WARNING LIGHTS and KLAXON SOUNDS - this little trollop was trying to access servers in Zhiang province, or god knows where in CHINA. All I know is suddenly I've got a wall of Chinese names and server numbers because apparently I'm trying to connect to something I shouldn't be and a dozen dirty sources are trying to connect to my system. So I immediately cut the hard line on my rig and shut it all down.

Let me tell you how I roll: I do not allow random programs to connect to unknown servers in countries on the other side of the world known for their dodgyness to download crap I don't recognise. For all I know they were uploading the digital mind of CHAIRMAN MAO onto to my rig, or viruses, Trojans, root kits, or worms.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I figured that by using the MotionInJoy software, I'd be putting my computer at risk for viruses and whatnot; so I'm trying to find an alternate way to get the PS3 controller set up.

Max Wilco:

tthor:

Yeah, but as I pointed out in the OP, the MotionInJoy software is not exactly on the up-and-up. Apparently, the software needs to connect to a server, and download the driver files.

The blog post that I linked to described it like this:

HG101 Blog:
They state quite clearly that because their drivers are unsigned you need to boot x64 versions of Windows while holding F8 and then from the menu choose to ignore mandatory signature enforcement. I did this. Then I downloaded it, did a virus scan and then ran it.

Anyway, after running it, suddenly ESET, NoScripts and a couple of other safety countermeasures were giving off RED WARNING LIGHTS and KLAXON SOUNDS - this little trollop was trying to access servers in Zhiang province, or god knows where in CHINA. All I know is suddenly I've got a wall of Chinese names and server numbers because apparently I'm trying to connect to something I shouldn't be and a dozen dirty sources are trying to connect to my system. So I immediately cut the hard line on my rig and shut it all down.

Let me tell you how I roll: I do not allow random programs to connect to unknown servers in countries on the other side of the world known for their dodgyness to download crap I don't recognise. For all I know they were uploading the digital mind of CHAIRMAN MAO onto to my rig, or viruses, Trojans, root kits, or worms.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I figured that by using the MotionInJoy software, I'd be putting my computer at risk for viruses and whatnot; so I'm trying to find an alternate way to get the PS3 controller set up.

I don't think i've heard any way of doing it besides motioninjoy. If you do find a way, i'd be happy to hear it

well i use motionjoy and i can confirm that it works and it's spyware free.
i use it all the time when i play skyrim.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked