When your family is against your career

You see, I wish to go into video game development (as so I a lot of others do as well), specifically into story writing/Directing. I love games, I want to issue out games that I know damn well will catch interest to many, but I think of the buyer as well, so I would make them cheap and affordable so anyone could play, not for the money, but for the satisfaction that people will enjoy and remember, that makes me happy (oh and making it fun too).

Now for the "uhhhh what?" part.

My dad refers to himself as a "Christian" however from his actions and what he does, he comes off more as an "Extremist". Such things include, joining anti-vide game associations, telling people they're going to hell because they play games, and racist should not mix. He absolutely hates that I don't want to be a doctor, like "he" wants me to be, as you can imagine, he's against my career, my hobbies, and my significant other who happens to be as pale as a paper. Regardless, I shall keep striving on!

My mom is sometimes embarrassed by my dads form of "passive aggression", yet sometimes fall into that herself. Seeing my brother who is constantly praised for being incredibly intelligent, useful and an all around more amazing person then I could ever be, it annoys her that he has achieved absolutely nothing, did I mention he is ten years older than me. She likes how I've gotten a head start on things at a younger age, I'll be starting college pretty soon! However she absolutely hates games, anime and comic books. Her reasoning is because she believes my brother did not achieve anything because of those things. So she's against my career because she believes I might just fall into the fade then being someone who actually contributes to the market, in other words she hates it because she thinks I'm unable to succeed from my infinitely better brother who again, is ten years older than me and works at a car wash. Still love my mom and regardless, I shall keep striving on!

Judging from my last paragraph you may think that I have something against my brother, well my answer to that is, no. My brother is a good man, he raised me because my father didn't want to, so he's more like a father to me than anything. While I agree my brother is smart, he lacks many things to what everyone praises for him, like courage, risk taking, connections, social skills, social intelligence and etc. Most of his weaknesses are things I have strengths in (well, partial in some while major in others), I just don't think it's quite pleasant, let alone fair, to treat me as though my own intellect is sub-par to his and blatantly as well, it's just sort of rude honestly. Maybe that's the reason I stopped making much contact or spending family days with them by that annoying comparison treatment. My brother is a good brother and regardless of his misfortune, I do not judge him, he's done a lot for me and taught me well. I just don't like comparing other people to other people, especially in family, it's just a messed up way of saying "Hey you know, you're a good kid with a big heart, but regardless I'm going to treat you lesser because your other is like a messiah to you!" It's not pleasant hearing that from your parents. Plus my brother is a pessimist and brings me down when I feel like I've accomplished something or wish to accomplish something Regardless I will keep striving on

This could go on forever, such as family saying that games make no money (which they're badly misinformed). "Your ideas sound like you're insane or on drugs" (while I take the first as a compliment, the second one I would have to argue with because I don't). "You could offend a lot of people with your work" (come now, who doesn't like making fun of extremist and other repulsive people). "Why would you want to help children who don't have families, be able to play games, don't you know that poisons their minds?" "Because, just because I don't like playing games with children, doesn't mean I don't want to help them enjoy their lives a little because they don't have families to help them do that, and they don't poison minds, look at mine, perfectly pure!" My family just dislikes entertainment! Regardless I will keep striving on!

Sure, I want to go into that industry because I have a yearning passion for it (I just need a new computer to get actually started), I want to help others reach their goals as well. I want to contribute and show the gaming world a rainbow of nightmarish, hilarious and colourful work. Work as a team, give people something to remember! If only my family could just understand that, but what can I do? That's just the way they are and this will be the way I will stay. Oh, I'm totally not saying it this paragraph!

Now all I have to do is get a better computer (this one is running nine years), get a small, good, devout and trusting team. A little support is always nice too! I don't know what you readers probably thought about this topic and what I wrote on it, but if you ever want to work together, or go into something cool, or hell start a team, I'd be happy to join you! If so, I can change this and say, regardless "we" will keep striving on!

Because gaming is freaking amazing!

Take this rage. Its only whilst you are there. Try and stand on your own two feet and strive to be the best you can. Think of how irritating it will be to your parents to know that you're successful and happy doing something they discouraged you from doing.

That being said, read up on the industry you're joining...as its very hard, and not always rewarding. You may be able to achieve that 'happy people playing your games' as a hobby than a career.

Insanum:
Take this rage. Its only whilst you are there. Try and stand on your own two feet and strive to be the best you can. Think of how irritating it will be to your parents to know that you're successful and happy doing something they discouraged you from doing.

That being said, read up on the industry you're joining...as its very hard, and not always rewarding. You may be able to achieve that 'happy people playing your games' as a hobby than a career.

Trust me, I will probably be very happy if I can prove them wrong!

I understand the risk, I understand how hard it will be (also considering my chances are weakened by where I live, Florida). Connections help as well, but I know what you mean, but for right now I just have to stay on my feet, as you say. The only plus is now that indie games are starting to boost considerably in the market. If anything I'm still starting off small, I'm not just rushing in saying "Hey look at this, it's a game you should totally published because I made it with my team", start of small, build yourself up!

Seems more to me this should be a posting in the 'Jobs Board' section than the advice section. You don't seem to be looking for advice on your familiat situation after all.

All in all, I wish you luck with whatever you do.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked