Can you transfer steam saves?

So I'm going to be getting a new computer at Christmas, upgrading from the outdated laptop I have now. I have been doing quite a lot of gaming on the laptop and I would like to know if there is any way to transfer my save games from the laptop I have now to the new computer. I am planning to transfer the saves of these games

.Skyrim
.Modern Warfare 3
.Fallout 3 + New Vegas
.Bioshock
.Bastion
.Amnesia

I would also like to know how to enable steam cloud saving for the Valve games I've got.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

You could try copying your entire Steam folder onto an external hard drive, then moving it all onto the new computer when it comes. If not, I believe all the save files are in there anyway, so you could do it per folder if you wish.

Yes, quite easily actually. Just copy over your "steamapps" folder int he Steam directory. Also, some games also have extensions and saves in your "My Documents" folder. I just keep backups of both of those files on an external and update them every once and a while. Toss them in the same location in your new rig and all your saves will be there. Plus, you don't have to re-download any games - just Steam itself.

Odd, it seems to have erased my response...Oh, Escapist and this new overhaul...not my friend.

Edit: Nevermind...some sort of delay or something? Disregard this post.

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:
Yes, quite easily actually. Just copy over your "steamapps" folder int he Steam directory. Also, some games also have extensions and saves in your "My Documents" folder. I just keep backups of both of those files on an external and update them every once and a while. Toss them in the same location in your new rig and all your saves will be there. Plus, you don't have to re-download any games - just Steam itself.

Oh so you can do that, but how are you supposed to do it anyway? Could you put the steam apps folder onto an external hard drive then put that onto the new computer?

ToastiestZombie:
Oh so you can do that, but how are you supposed to do it anyway? Could you put the steam apps folder onto an external hard drive then put that onto the new computer?

Exactly. Just copy the whole folder and paste it right into where it would be located on the new computer and Steam will read it automatically. All saves, updates, game downloads and DLC will transfer over just fine. =)

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:

ToastiestZombie:

Exactly. Just copy the whole folder and paste it right into where it would be located on the new computer and Steam will read it automatically. All saves, updates, game downloads and DLC will transfer over just fine. =)

Oh that's good! It would be a bummer if I had to download my 206 games again. I think I have a external hard drive that will fit the 200gb of steam games I have. Thanks for the help mate :)

You can copy it like suggested, but you can also use the cloud sync which you should be able to enable by right-clicking the game, going to properties and setting it up there. Either that or it's under settings.

I'm not in front of my home computer so I can't give specifics but if you've got the space a direct copy would be easier and probably faster.

Qitz:
You can copy it like suggested, but you can also use the cloud sync which you should be able to enable by right-clicking the game, going to properties and setting it up there. Either that or it's under settings.

I'm not in front of my home computer so I can't give specifics but if you've got the space a direct copy would be easier and probably faster.

If by space on the new computer, then yeh. I have 1tb of space so I'll be fine. But if you're talking about space on the current computer then no, I only have 70gb left.

Freaking computer Bsodded while I was typing so I have to rewrite post D:

So anyway, I should add that while many games save their data in either the Steam or My Documents folder, plenty of them also save in your application data. Just type %appdata% as a file directory and check for anything game related. Also go up a level and check the Local and LocalLow folders and not just Roaming. Though I'm not sure whether this applies to any of the games you listed.

Also not just valve games support cloud saves...there are plenty of third party games on Steam that do too.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked