Xbox 360 Disk tray failure?

Hello all. So my original xbox 360's disk tray finally stopped working, wouldn't open no matter what I did. Well, cannibalized another xbox and took its disk tray. Slightly newer model but still the same. So new disk tray, opens and closes perfectly and looks nicer. Now the new problem sprung up. When I pop in my game the dashboard will say that it has read there being a game inside. Now when I go to play the game, screen goes black and starts to read the disk, then it just stops and goes back to the dashboard. I have no idea how to fix it from here. Help please.

This is funny because I have a related problem, bro. I was just about to post about a similar problem when I found this.

My problem is that when I put in a game and close the tray, the system makes two grinding noises like it is reading the disk, then it says "Open Tray". The system is an Elite, only 2 years old in April. I had the same problem with the other first edition Xbox 360.

The weird thing is that if I keep trying, eventually it will read the disk and play. Soon, I'm just going to junk it and buy a PS3. At least I won't have to keep buying another system every two years.

Any help here would be awesome.

And as for OP, I hope your problem gets fixed, bro. A broken Xbox sucks pretty bad.

Dazed_Wanderer:
Hello all. So my original xbox 360's disk tray finally stopped working, wouldn't open no matter what I did. Well, cannibalized another xbox and took its disk tray. Slightly newer model but still the same. So new disk tray, opens and closes perfectly and looks nicer. Now the new problem sprung up. When I pop in my game the dashboard will say that it has read there being a game inside. Now when I go to play the game, screen goes black and starts to read the disk, then it just stops and goes back to the dashboard. I have no idea how to fix it from here. Help please.

from what i understand, the 360 system, specifically the mother board, and the dvd reader that comes with it, are interlinked with a protection chip... Analogy: a heart (dvd player) is taken from a person with A type blood, and is transplanted into a person another person(motherboard) with B type blood

long story short, it won't work.

sorry for being the bearer of bad news

duckymcfly99:
This is funny because I have a related problem, bro. I was just about to post about a similar problem when I found this.

My problem is that when I put in a game and close the tray, the system makes two grinding noises like it is reading the disk, then it says "Open Tray". The system is an Elite, only 2 years old in April. I had the same problem with the other first edition Xbox 360.

The weird thing is that if I keep trying, eventually it will read the disk and play. Soon, I'm just going to junk it and buy a PS3. At least I won't have to keep buying another system every two years.

And as for OP, I hope your problem gets fixed, bro. A broken Xbox sucks pretty bad.

Had the exact same problem. The solution? Banging on your Xbox while it's reading the disk. Seriously? Seriously!

Just give slam on the top of your Xbox (not too hard, of course) with a flat hand after you've closed the tray. It has something to do with the position of the laser. My old 20G has this problem as well and giving it a good whack solves it every time :)

duckymcfly99:

I had this problem as well. Eventually just bought an Xbox Arcade and put my old hard drive on the new Xbox after it ceased to read discs no matter what I did :/

NorthernStar:
Had the exact same problem. The solution? Banging on your Xbox while it's reading the disk. Seriously? Seriously!

Just give slam on the top of your Xbox (not too hard, of course) with a flat hand after you've closed the tray. It has something to do with the position of the laser. My old 20G has this problem as well and giving it a good whack solves it every time :)

I had this same problem and found the same solution. You don't even need to hit it very hard (in fact you probably shouldn't), but it works consistently. Also, keeping a disc in the tray seems to help. Maybe it's the weight of the disc or something, but it does seem to be harder to open with an empty tray.

ComradeJim270:

NorthernStar:

I had this same problem and found the same solution. You don't even need to hit it very hard (in fact you probably shouldn't), but it works consistently. Also, keeping a disc in the tray seems to help. Maybe it's the weight of the disc or something, but it does seem to be harder to open with an empty tray.

I'm having this very same problem (as well as an overheating issue), but smacking it doesn't work. Is there any other way to fix it or will I have to get it replaced?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked