Graphics Card Advice

Hi everyone

I'm going to getting a new desktop soon and I'm after graphics card recommendations, I'm after a good card that play games and last a good while (3-5 years). I've heard good things about the Nvidia geforce GTX 560 ti or are the GTX 570 or GTX 580 worth the extra price, I'm aware that the graphics card isn't the only factor in deciding whether a machine can play a game. And finally VRAM is it worth it as all of those cards have options with more VRAM. Thanks for any input.

Obhraonian:
Hi everyone

I'm going to getting a new desktop soon and I'm after graphics card recommendations, I'm after a good card that play games and last a good while (3-5 years). I've heard good things about the Nvidia geforce GTX 560 ti or are the GTX 570 or GTX 580 worth the extra price, I'm aware that the graphics card isn't the only factor in deciding whether a machine can play a game. And finally VRAM is it worth it as all of those cards have options with more VRAM. Thanks for any input.

Just complete basics. I'm sure you're aware about most or all of them but... ;)

- We don't know what gfx cards will be available 3-5 years from now on. We can't predict the requirements of future games. Remember that prices fall with technological advancement. And this is rather fast process nowadays.

- The better the card, the more expensive it is, the better Power Supply Unit it requires, the more power it "eats", the more heat it emits and possibily the greater the chance for it to overheat and, well, die. So, there are cons and pros. There's no 100% bulletproof solution.

- Also, it's pointless to install powerful gfx card into computer with weak processor or slow RAM modules. One slow component will cap overal performance of your rig.

- I have Ti560 GTX right now supported with i2600k processor and i encountered NO video game that i couldn't run on max resolution with ultra high quality. I'm not sure how about frames per second, since i ceased to care about it - if it runs smmothly, what's the difference ?

- There's always the possibility to install 2 (or even more) identical cards and use them in the same time. Hurray for teamwork ! This solution is called SLI (nvidia cards) or CrossFire (ATI/AMD cards).

- nVRAM is a myth. More than 1gb of it is simply a waste. AS FOR NOW.

As for present day i'd buy GTX Ti 560 and think about replacing it later. There's no need to think about more expensive models unleas you're fan of real power and value each FPS you can squeeze out of your rig. :)

JesterRaiin:
More than 1gb of it is simply a waste. AS FOR NOW.

Just to save Tubez the effort - that's not true when you're running a game across multiple displays at high rez... of course, it comes with the caveat that the rest of your rig needs to be fairly beefy to manage it in the first place.

As for present day i'd buy GTX Ti 560 and think about replacing it later. There's no need to think about more expensive models unleas you're fan of real power and value each FPS you can squeeze out of your rig. :)

Unless it's an emergency, I'd wait until the new generation of GPU chipsets is released. If nothing else, they'll put downward pressure on the price of current gen GPUs.

RhombusHatesYou:

JesterRaiin:

Just to save Tubez the effort - that's not true when you're running a game across multiple displays at high rez... of course, it comes with the caveat that the rest of your rig needs to be fairly beefy to manage it in the first place.

When talking about generic activities, the exotic possibilites form arguments without serious importance that shouldn't be taken into consideration. And yes, running games on multiple monitors is still nothing more than exotic possibility for rich people. :)

JesterRaiin:

RhombusHatesYou:

JesterRaiin:

When talking about generic activities, the exotic possibilites form arguments without serious importance that shouldn't be taken into consideration. And yes, running games on multiple monitors is still nothing more than exotic possibility for rich people. :)

I just want to point out that Im not rich and it doesnt cost a lot to run multi monitor setup.
And if you want to play bf3 at ultra with 1920x1080 then you will need more then 1gb vram as well, so I see no reason to not get 2gb vram if you are going with Amd and at least 1.5gb vram if you are going with nvidia.

Tubez:

JesterRaiin:

RhombusHatesYou:

I just want to point out that Im not rich and it doesnt cost a lot to run multi monitor setup.
And if you want to play bf3 at ultra with 1920x1080 then you will need more then 1gb vram as well, so I see no reason to not get 2gb vram if you are going with Amd and at least 1.5gb vram if you are going with nvidia.

- Powerful card needs powerful components otherwise it's complete waste of money.
- Rig based on good, stable components is much better solution than fancy, top-segment gfx card costing ridculous amounts of $$$.
- Instances when more than 1 Gb of vRAM in typical PC are of big importance are scarce.
- Even when gfx card lacks more than 1 Gb of vRAM, other components - if properly chosen - will make up for it.
- Unless topic is about "help me build fastests possible machine" i will take only generic activities into consideration.

...'s all i'm saying.

Thanks for the replies everyone
I seem to have started something with my vRAM question. If it helps the other parts I'm intending use are;
Asus P8Z68 V-pro
Intel i5 2500K
Prolimatch meagehalems cooler
Coolermaster silencio case
Coolermaster pro modular power supply either 850W or 1000W depending on the card
4 * 4gb Corsair XMS3 1333mhz
and I'll probably overclock the system.

I don't expect I'll be using a multi-monitor set-up but I will be running a lot of VMs.

Obhraonian:
Thanks for the replies everyone
I seem to have started something with my vRAM question. If it helps the other parts I'm intending use are;
Asus P8Z68 V-pro

Wow, you're capable of using Lucid Virtu ! :D

You could use better memory than 1333 Mhz. If i'm not mistaking, the sweet spot for your rig (processor) should be 1600 Mhz.

You can also install some more powerful i7 processor, but i guess that 2500k is enough for supporting better gfx card.

Obhraonian:

I don't expect I'll be using a multi-monitor set-up but I will be running a lot of VMs.

If you have already made your mind, then don't ask. ;)

BTW : nice equipment you got there sir !

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked