So here i was pondering how to solve this issue i have and then a briliant idea hit me....

Why not ask for advice anonymiously on the internet .

So here i go . So im 19 years old , attending university , studying law. Now in the past year i got my life really in order . Went from being really obese to slightly overweight , became confident , started grooming ( much more than before that is , looked like a bleeding caveman ) and a crapload of other positive changes .
But theres a slight problem . My social life is dead. This wouldnt be a problem , but i grew apart from the few friends that i had and well im feeling lonely . Like REALY lonely . Now youre probably thinking that this aint really an issue condsidering that im going to uni and this would normaly be true , but you see i live in the capital of a rather small country called Lithuania , and well the majority of the people attending my uni come from well , lets call it the province and theres an immense cultural gap as well as a great in diffrence in mentality . Dont get me wrong i did try ignoring all of that and im no elitist despite what you might think judging from my post .
Now since im writing on the escapist i think you can guess what kinda things im interested in . Thing is the only "geeky" activities/events that are organized and happen on a regular basis seem to be related to anime only and well im not really into anime , so bugger . Bars and clubs are out , there only fun with friends . And i cant seem to find any other activities that tickle my interest . Yoga ? Nope . Martial arts ? Nope.... And i could really continue that for a while .
So any suggestions on how to jumpstart my social life would be greatly appreciated .

Oh and dont murder me for any gramatical mistakes and so , i aint a native english speaker.

Bump or something ?

I dont want to be an ass , but come on not one reply ? Makes me quite sad . And yes im being impatient .

What sort of things do they do in the Anime club?

I'd actually recommend trying to attend that one. Most people into anime (that I've met) tend to be geeks in more ways than one.
Other than that, perhaps you could join a gaming community?
Online friends are just as good as Real-life friends, I've found.

Spy_Guy:

I'd actually recommend trying to attend that one. Most people into anime (that I've met) tend to be geeks in more ways than one.

Cosplay , anime watching , not my cup of tea . And by jumpstarting my social life i more ment real life friends , the online ones i have no issues of getting .

Obvious irony of asking a community of gamers how to get friends IRL aside, I'd say at least try those activities that don't tickle your interest, if you haven't already. Go to a meeting or two of things you haven't been to, even if you don't think you're interested in them.

Iranoutofnames:

Spy_Guy:

Cosplay , anime watching , not my cup of tea . And by jumpstarting my social life i more ment real life friends , the online ones i have no issues of getting .

Just to let you know, bumping a thread is usually not a good idea (I've had official warnings in the past for doing it, just so's you know). Particularly on the Advice Forum, where a thread will usually be on the top page for at least a day or so. Next time, try giving it 24 hours without a reply before you bump it. Hope that helps, and welcome to the Escapist! :D

Now to the main topic. You say there's only one club that you could join that you're interested in, and that's anime. Give it a try anyway, you may find you're more interested in it than you first thought, and chances are most of the people there will share your interests anyway. Failing that, at my old university at least you could usually join a club or society for a while then leave without having to pay the membership fee if it wasn't to your taste (basically like a trial session - I'm assuming here that your uni works the same way, with membership fees, so if I'm wrong then ignore that point :P). Or, could you try starting your own society, perhaps a gaming group or something? Try getting in touch with some of the people on your courseonline too, maybe see if they fancy hanging out, or join a study group. You'd be meeting people then who may be rather similar to you...

Iranoutofnames:
Why not ask for advice anonymously on the internet...

I used to be in your boat. I spent my entire education with maybe 3 friends total. Was very lonely to the point of screaming pain.

There are a few ways to fix this, some you will probably not like just like I didn't.

Pick a group and go. Doesn't matter if you like football or not, go hang out. It can be any group, whatever is available that is the closest to your actual interests. Eventually you may connect and the extension will grow into other areas.

I understand how you could be against that one. Nothing like truly finding yourself only to fake your personality just to get accepted. Still, it can work.

Join an online guild/clan in your favorite video game. This is what I did, I had a blast, it was some of the greatest years of my life. I ended up with a bunch of friends who thought and talked just like me. This can however, cause social issues for when you need to deal with people in the real world. AKA, some conversations are best left online.

Go out to geeky places, sci-fi city, geek bars, comic book stores, etc. This can get expensive and can be boring. It was for me mainly because all geeky places seem to revolve around Anime and I really don't like anime. If you do, your in luck.

Hope this helps, I know all too well how horrible it can be to feel so lonely you might as well be an alien. Good luck.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked