Temporary hearing loss in 1 ear with ringing?

I was at work today and suddenly my left ear became much less sensitive to sound and I had a ringing noise in it almost same as when you get a flashbang in Call of Duty.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

The medical term is "Tinitus", which literally translates as "inflammatory ringing". The causes for it are sadly varied so it's hard to determine exactly what has caused it. Though, it is most commonly associated with hearing damage. You simply should get it checked out if it persists, the doctor may be able to spot something, but I vaguely suspect you have an ear infection.

As far as I know it's easily diagnosed and treatable. Just go to a doctor. Although, it sometimes happens randomly for no apparent reason (yeah, there probably is one but I don't know what). I've had that happen several times but it didn't last long, I doubt it has ever been more than an hour (probably ~30 minutes maximum, though). If it's longer than that, just go to a doctor. Some may even do free hearing checks.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go to my doctor just to be on the safe side.

DoPo:
snip.

Regnes:
snip

Happens to me about once a month for about 30 seconds at a time. Has done so at least for 15 years, probably longer. Never been worried about it, just strange is all. How long did the effect persist?

DoPo:
As far as I know it's easily diagnosed and treatable. Just go to a doctor. Although, it sometimes happens randomly for no apparent reason (yeah, there probably is one but I don't know what). I've had that happen several times but it didn't last long, I doubt it has ever been more than an hour (probably ~30 minutes maximum, though). If it's longer than that, just go to a doctor. Some may even do free hearing checks.

Hmmm it's not really all that treatable depending on the circumstances. If he's only suffering for a very brief period of time, then there's probably nothing to worry about, but as I mentioned above the most common cause of consistent tinnitus is hearing damage, which is essentially impossible to reverse.

Also I was about to say that every doctor does free checkups and that every medical procedure is free, but then I remembered that I'm Canadian.

Pretty much what other people have said, but also, try to avoid loud noise and be conscious of your volume, especially with headphones for the next couple of days.
I have a permanent titinus in one ear, an ever present E flat, because of a really loud bang.

Fun Fact: The ringing is an auditory hallucination, basically your brain telling you something is wrong with your ear.

Regnes:

Also I was about to say that every doctor does free checkups and that every medical procedure is free, but then I remembered that I'm Canadian.

Well as I am in the UK I get free healthcare to so it's ok to get a small checkup.

Your using the word had indicates it went away and fairly quickly? If so, don't worry. Tinnitus is one of those things that can be caused by anything from the usually benign (Rapid Change in air pressure), to the mildly annoying (Ear wax build up or sinus congestion), the the troublesome (ear infection.), to the problematic (Hearing damage.) then in rare cases to the "Oh god I'm going to die" (Massive brain tumor!). So long as it's not persistent or frequently reoccurring it's not an issue.

Anything to do with any of your senses going funny should be a warning that you need to see a doctor asap.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

The doctor said it was nothing but the ear gave me an excuse to force myself see the doctor for another reason.

Thanks again.

If it does start happening again, I'd suggest getting an Audiogram done just so you know there isn't any permanent damage. If a GP looks into my ears, he'll say that they are absolutely fine. However, a hearing test shows I suffer from diminished hearing at high frequencies in my left ear. I get ringing in that ear as a result.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked