Is fasting an acceptable way to lose weight?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I want to lose weight, but I don't really want to exercise. I know, lazy. I was thinking about just not eating for a day or two, but I know there is a lot of stigma to that associated with eating disorders. Should I just get up and move instead? Or is it okay as long as I don't keep doing it?

TheDarkEricDraven:
I want to lose weight, but I don't really want to exercise. I know, lazy. I was thinking about just not eating for a day or two, but I know there is a lot of stigma to that associated with eating disorders. Should I just get up and move instead? Or is it okay as long as I don't keep doing it?

I actually know someone who was in a local biggest loser who tried to fast and lose weight. They actually gained a few pounds. While I'm not sure if this applies to everyone, I would suggest that you just get up and exercise! :P

Also, I just got back into running because of this awesome app called "Zombies, Run!" If you have an iPhone, I would definitely look into using that to get back into exercising.

Not only is fasting extremely unhealthy, it doesn't work. When you starve yourself for a while your body tries to store fat because it thinks there is a scarcity of food. This means that the next time you eat you will pile on the weight. Rather than abstaining from all food, why not simply cut out any processed, sugary and generally high fat foods from your diet. Avoid snacking and eat regular, reasonably portioned meals. Moving would certainly help.

Kingme18:

I actually know someone who was in a local biggest loser who tried to fast and lose weight. They actually gained a few pounds. While I'm not sure if this applies to everyone, I would suggest that you just get up and exercise! :P

manic_depressive13:
Not only is fasting extremely unhealthy, it doesn't work. When you starve yourself for a while your body tries to store fat because it thinks there is a scarcity of food. This means that the next time you eat you will pile on the weight. Rather than abstaining from all food, why not simply cut out any processed, sugary and generally high fat foods from your diet. Avoid snacking and eat regular, reasonably portioned meals. Moving would certainly help.

Well, fuck fasting, then...

Kingme18:

Also, I just got back into running because of this awesome app called "Zombies, Run!" If you have an iPhone, I would definitely look into using that to get back into exercising.

I'm getting...wait for it...an ANDROID tablet next month for my birthday. Alas, because that sounds awesome, and would for sure get me into running. I'll check and see if there is an app like that on the Android market.

No it isn't. It's a survival mechanism thing. What happens is that when you don't eat food, your body goes into a sort of lethargic "energy saving" mode and you become really tired. You'll also crave fats since they have the most energy. And when you do eat, your body will think there is a food scarcity and it will all go straight to fat, even if it normally wouldn't.

If you want to lose weight, here is what I suggest. Have something with whole grain in it every morning. Whole grain digests very slowly due to its high fiber content, which means your stomach will remain full for a long time. This does two good things for you: You won't want to eat more food, and your metabolism will increase because your body will not think there is a food shortage.

Fasting is not a good way to lose weight. Try cutting sodas and similar beverages out COMPLETELY. You can lose 30 pounds in a couple months just from that.

Ryan Brimfield:
Fasting is not a good way to lose weight. Try cutting sodas and similar beverages out COMPLETELY. You can lose 30 pounds in a couple months just from that.

I can do that. What about milk?

TheDarkEricDraven:

Kingme18:

I'm getting...wait for it...an ANDROID tablet next month for my birthday. Alas, because that sounds awesome, and would for sure get me into running. I'll check and see if there is an app like that on the Android market.

Yup, android next month. I actually cannot wait to go running tomorrow, and this is coming from a guy who has trouble getting out of bed every morning!

TheDarkEricDraven:

Ryan Brimfield:

I can do that. What about milk?

Go with 2% or fat free milk. One to three glasses a day is fine.

Fasting is not a good idea because if you cut down on food, your metabolism goes down so you burn fat/calories at a slower rate anyway. If you have any underlaying health conditions, fasting could also aggravate them, and you are likely to suffer from lack of focus, light head etc. If you do not eat you could even faint and have a serious accident.

There is a controversial fasting experiment that took place and also some fasting diets. During these experiments/diets there is a strong focus placed on duration and obtaining vitamins. I think that you could embark on this kind of fasting but it definitely needs to be supervised by someone with a decent qualifications

Loosing weight can happen when you start to eat the right kind of foods. There are various diets available but before going on a diet you should always consult with a doctor. I cannot really give you much advice on diet without knowing your weight, how much you want to loose and your diet etc (and that is not really the kind of thing you want to post on an internet forum) but I think that even small changes to your life style can help a lot. For example, when I was overweight I switched the rice I ate everyday with a salad. This small change made a big difference.

By the way, I am assuming that you are overweight and want to trim up a bit. If you are underweight and want to loose weight, please please please please please go and consult with a doctor.

bluepilot:

By the way, I am assuming that you are overweight and want to trim up a bit. If you are underweight and want to loose weight, please please please please please go and consult with a doctor.

Not overweight, certinally not obese or anything, just a bit bigger then I'd like. I'm also not underweight, though. Average American male, I suppose?

Other people have already said it but just look at the OP here. Heck just look at the title.

Cut out soft drinks, anything highly processed or sugary, but one of the best things you can do is cut out/down on alcohol.

I heard that an obese person fasted and his stored body fat kept him going until it was mostly gone. They said he had no long term negative effects because of it. But who THEY are and who this person is I have no idea, it was just something random off the internet.

You don't need to fast, just straighten your diet out.

LooK iTz Jinjo:
Cut out soft drinks, anything highly processed or sugary, but one of the best things you can do is cut out/down on alcohol.

THIS, stop drinking pop & anything with a lot of high fructose corn syrup in it.

And if you have problems getting exercise, do what I did. Adopt a hyperactive dog like a sheppy or husky. They will make you walk them 3 hours a day and once you get used to it you don't think of walking them as exercise.

Okay, so only healthy food, and no soda from now on! I can do that.

The important factors with weight loss are how many calories you consume, and how many you use. Most junk food is energy-dense, so your body ends up with a bunch left over that it stores as fat. Healthy foods are nutrient-dense, so you consume fewer calories and more vitamins and minerals.

Depending on how active you are (or aren't) you may need to add some kind of exercise to your routine. Otherwise lowering calorie intake may just make you gain weight slower, as opposed to actually losing weight.

Go cycling! I cycle to school everyday and do it often on the weekends as well, and fasting does not work, it fucks up your stomach and I won't go into much detail. I know you son't want to exercise but you have to if you want to lose weight.

Theoretically, you will lose weight if your calorie intake is lower than the calorie you use, so fasting will make you lose weight.
However, fasting and not exercising means you will lose more muscle than fat. Since muscle is what burns your calories, if that decreases your metabolism decreases. So if you start eating again, you will have more excess calories coming in that you did before the fasting.

Also by putting your body into famine mode, it will try to keep as much calories in the body as possible ( in the form of fat) to prepare for future famines, so you are kinda encouraging your body to get fatter.

So, the bottom line is, you have to exercise!

I will get my fat ass moving once it gets warmer...

TheDarkEricDraven:
Okay, so only healthy food, and no soda from now on! I can do that.

Hell, doesn't have to be healthy food, just watch your calorie intake. I take a multivitamin in the morning then eat whatever the hell I feel like, only watching my calorie total, and I haven't really gained a pound in years.

bluepilot:
Fasting is not a good idea because if you cut down on food, your metabolism goes down so you burn fat/calories at a slower rate anyway. If you have any underlaying health conditions, fasting could also aggravate them, and you are likely to suffer from lack of focus, light head etc. If you do not eat you could even faint and have a serious accident.

This is as close to the right answer as we have gotten so far. You will lose weight, certainly and you can accelerate that weight loss with exercise, but nutritional deficiencies can and will cause harm to you.

There is no problem with short term fasting (see a doctor first), but being consistent is much better. Cut calories daily and do some exercise.

mikey7339:
anything with a lot of high fructose corn syrup in it.

BINGO. This shit is literally a poison. Fructose cannot be processed by the body and is essentially broken down in the liver and stored as fat. No energy or glycogen is gained from Fructose. Track down a lecture titled "Sugar. The bitter truth". You'll find it on YouTube. That will explain way better than I can the effects that Fructose has had on society.

On another note, exercise. It's not that hard. Join a gym and train. When you're leaking the motivation, just remember the 5 Ps.

Punch
Power
Perks
Pecs and
Pussy

Fatboy_41:

mikey7339:

BINGO. This shit is literally a poison. Fructose cannot be processed by the body and is essentially broken down in the liver and stored as fat. No energy or glycogen is gained from Fructose. Track down a lecture titled "Sugar. The bitter truth". You'll find it on YouTube. That will explain way better than I can the effects that Fructose has had on society.

Umm, the end product of the fructose pathway is the same as glycolysis (glucose metabolism) - DHAP and G3P... It does give you energy. Infact, your body synthesizes fructose because it needs it (sperm for example use fructose for energy exclusively).

HFCS has been indicated to be linked to obesity, however, alot of high fruit/honey diets have not been. It seems to be that 55:45 ration of fructose to glucose that causes such effects.

Skin:

Fatboy_41:

mikey7339:

Umm, the end product of the fructose pathway is the same as glycolysis (glucose metabolism) - DHAP and G3P... It does give you energy. Infact, your body synthesizes fructose because it needs it (sperm for example use fructose for energy exclusively).

HFCS has been indicated to be linked to obesity, however, alot of high fruit/honey diets have not been. It seems to be that 55:45 ration of fructose to glucose that causes such effects.

My mistake.

What I mean was, the glycogen created by fructose can not be utilised anywhere except the liver. It provides no energy to the muscles themselves, which is what you want most of all.

I am going to recommend against fasting but will recommend a workout which I enjoy and has given me some good results (also, it's free and requires cheap equipment: 2 dumb bells and a timer).

I used to be about 250 lbs and have now dropped down to 170 (would still like to lose between 10 and 15 lbs). My advice: research in to WHY diets/excercise/supplements work and understand the possible risks and effects of using them (don't jump into anything just because the "before" and "after" pictures because those can be easily faked as you can see by watching the "5 hour transformation" videos on Youtube. From my research, I recommend working out in the morning before you eat (think of it like a caveman hunting for his breakfast...) and drinking chocolate milk after (less muscle soreness, quicker recovery, is supposed to be better than supplements). On the other hand, if you would like to gain muscle, work out later in the day. I recommend interval training (Spartacus is my favorite, you can find instructions for it on Youtube...then all you need are a pair of dumb bells, and an interval timer [there's free apps for that]. I recommend interval training because it's challenging but also rewarding. IT also had the best ratio of fat:muscle loss in overall weight (which correlates to body image) Also, drink plenty of water and eat salad. Hope that helps.

No. A crash-diet will make you lost weight, but you'll regain it and more of your mass will be fat than before.

I'd suggest consulting a doctor.

Skin:

Fatboy_41:

mikey7339:

One of the reasons why fruit isn't bad is because of it's fiber content. Or atleast that is what the video Sugar: The Bitter Truth(that Fatboy 41 mentioned as well) says... Seems legit and is very informative...

Some anecdotal evidence(i.e. should be taken with a grain of salt):
Me and most of my friends that stopped or cut down severely on soda started eating less right away.

It wouldn't because your body would go into an essential "hibernation" mode and would not get rid of fat or burn calories because it needs those for energy.

Cpt. Red:

Skin:

Fatboy_41:

One of the reasons why fruit isn't bad is because of it's fiber content. Or atleast that is what the video Sugar: The Bitter Truth(that Fatboy 41 mentioned as well) says... Seems legit and is very informative...

Me and most of my friends that stopped or cut down severely on soda started eating less right away.

No. Fiber has nothing to do with fructose metabolism, at all. The point is that HFCS have been found to be linked to be obesity (still an ongoing topic of discussion in the biomedical community - there is not enough evidence just yet to set this in stone).

Skin:

Cpt. Red:

Skin:

No. Fiber has nothing to do with fructose metabolism, at all. The point is that HFCS have been found to be linked to be obesity (still an ongoing topic of discussion in the biomedical community - there is not enough evidence just yet to set this in stone).

As far as I understood it the fiber made it so the overall all health effect was positive and not necessarily changing how the body deals with fructose. But then again I'm just some random guy that once saw an interesting video on youtube so what do I know...

Whenever I don't eat food for some time I feel hungry and this causes me pain. I get bad headaches and my stomach hurts. Pain is designed to tell me something is wrong. If fasting means going days without food this would cause you pain. So no, try to avoid doing that.

TheDarkEricDraven:

Well... i hate to brake it to you but losing weight requires some form of exercise, at least if you want to keep the weight when you have reached where you want to be!
Fasting is not good in any from since your body needs the proteins and some fat to function correctly.

You could go on a leaving all the carbs out for a while and just eat proteins and fat(e.g. meat or fish with some sauce). That should make you lose fat but not the muscles since you always "refill" your body with proteins!
Do that for a 3-5 weeks then slowly begin to eat as normal again while exercising!
A tip for exercing: find something you like to do that requires moving your body. Walking, swimming or maybe even dancing if you like. Hell, even playing drums get your body going a bit.
You dont have to go to the gym or run a few miles a day(though that does help), not everybody likes that kind of exercise!

manic_depressive13:

that pretty much covers it. Your body does indeed store fat when it's not getting any, and eating will only force your body to absorb more of the fat you take in after fasting.

you shouldnt stop eating completly its just unhealthy id suggest that if you really dont want to exercise just start eating less if you usually eat a full plate feel 3/4 of it
that kind of worked for me but im not a neutritianist (or however you spell that) and you should probably ask someone with a bit more knowladge then random internet people...

If you fast, your body holds on to fat more when you do eat. So don't do it. Eat a little less junk and get out more.
If you're really serious then talk to your doctor or a nutritionist and they can give you tips on how to go about it. There is all sorts of help out there if you really want to lose weight, but small lifestyle changes are a good way to start, that way you might keep it off.

When you fast you will lose weight however you will gain it back once you start eating again. Body builders do this right before photo shoots to make their muscles bulge out. I myself once played games for 3 days straight without eating and lost 15 pounds, but like I said it all came back after I started eating again.

I can't tell you a proper way to lose weight as its never been a problem with me. I will say fasting is a very bad way to go. In the end your body will keep EVERYTHING you put into it and store it. You will actually gain weight.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked