How does movement work in Alpha Centauri?

I've just started playing this game and have no idea how movement and turns work. The unit says "Move: 1" but I am clearly able to move him much more than 1 tile. Also: when does my turn end, and how do I know it's about to end? I just keep randomly being allowed to move my units around but their movement seems unlimited as long as they take turns, until randomly it announces my turn is over. I'm so confused.

Well I guess I'll bump this because... well, I kinda need a response. :|
The instruction manual doesnt have anything on it.

Unless this game is so old that nobody really cares about it anymore. Which is depressing because I love pretty much every other Firaxis game, and I feel like I could really get my nerd on if I knew how to play this one.

From memory, I think what's happening is that you're using all your moves and the game is possibly ending the turn automatically, which is why you think it's random. And then sometimes it isn't ending the turn automatically.

LordofPurple:
I've just started playing this game and have no idea how movement and turns work. The unit says "Move: 1" but I am clearly able to move him much more than 1 tile.

Different surfaces takes different amounts of movement points: If you are moving along roads or rivers, single square takes only 1/3 of movement point, meaning that you can move three squares in one turn with single movement point.

LordofPurple:
Also: when does my turn end, and how do I know it's about to end? I just keep randomly being allowed to move my units around but their movement seems unlimited as long as they take turns, until randomly it announces my turn is over. I'm so confused.

Also, I think that the game in early stages of game, when you have only single or two units, doesn't clearly announce end of turn, it just quickly moves AI players in between turns, and let's you move your units almost instantly again.

I think it announces end of turn properly, when there are something that requires your attention, e.g. Production is ready in one of your cities.

It's great that you have picked up Alpha Centauri; In my opinion it's best game in Civilization series. Well maybe it's not officially part of Civilization series, but still :)

Jukedex:

LordofPurple:
I've just started playing this game and have no idea how movement and turns work. The unit says "Move: 1" but I am clearly able to move him much more than 1 tile.

Different surfaces takes different amounts of movement points: If you are moving along roads or rivers, single square takes only 1/3 of movement point, meaning that you can move three squares in one turn with single movement point.

LordofPurple:
Also: when does my turn end, and how do I know it's about to end? I just keep randomly being allowed to move my units around but their movement seems unlimited as long as they take turns, until randomly it announces my turn is over. I'm so confused.

Also, I think that the game in early stages of game, when you have only single or two units, doesn't clearly announce end of turn, it just quickly moves AI players in between turns, and let's you move your units almost instantly again.

I think it announces end of turn properly, when there are something that requires your attention, e.g. Production is ready in one of your cities.

It's great that you have picked up Alpha Centauri; In my opinion it's best game in Civilization series. Well maybe it's not officially part of Civilization series, but still :)

Yep, truly an incredible game. It would be so awesome if they made an Alpha Centauri 2 in the Civ V engine. Hell, they rebooted Colonization, so why not?

Fat_Hippo:
Yep, truly an incredible game. It would be so awesome if they made an Alpha Centauri 2 in the Civ V engine. Hell, they rebooted Colonization, so why not?

I agree. That game definitely deserves sequel or remake. Too bad that Firaxis doesn't own rights of Alpha Centauri, so it's unlikely that AC2 will be made, at least not with that name.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked