CPU fan not spinning.

Hey escapists, I was hoping I could find some guys in here with some tech knowledge that could give me a hand :)

I recently bought a motherboard bundle from Novatech but when I installed it and powered up, everything was receiving power but the CPU fan would not spin. It attempts to spin twice and then just seems to give up, so I then powered it down as I didn't want to risk overheating the processor. I returned the bundle to them for testing, and they then contacted me to say that it tested okay, but gave me the option of being sent a new bundle made of the same components, so I asked for a new one. They have sent me a new one and it has the same problem.

My dad phoned them today to find out what our options are. And he found out that apparently the person who tested the original board when I sent it back left it for about 5 minutes before the fan started spinning and the board worked okay. So my options are to return it for a full refund, or to try to get it to work (as I have only let power run through it for around 10 seconds because I'm scared of burning out the processor, but if this guy actually did leave it for 5 minutes maybe I should too?) or to try yet another bundle. I've been without a desktop computer for 2 and a half weeks now and it's starting to crush my soul.

Should I risk leaving it for 5 mintues? Or was the guy on the phone an idiot? thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the processor is an intel i3 and it is using the stock fan/heatsink.
The motherboard is a MSI H61M-P20 (G3)

miketehmage:
Should I risk leaving it for 5 mintues? Or was the guy on the phone an idiot? thoughts?

I'm not particularly tech-savvy, but I'd go for a refund. I mean, it might well be okay to leave it for 5 mins, but it could shorten the life out of the entire bundle, and by the time it starts acting up it'd be out of warranty.

It's not operating as it should, so you might as well get one that's definitely in full working order for the sake of another few days.

5 minutes for the fan to start is a very long time and rather worrying to be honest.

My guess would be the BIOS is set to spin the fan down until the CPU starts to heat up, but its reducing the voltage to the point where the fan doesn't have enough power to keep spinning.
Unfortunately the Mobo manual appears to be fairly typical and is completely useless (unless you need to know how to turn on the computer in 14 different languages) so I'm just guessing.

The good news is intel chips historically tend to be fairly robust and will try to protect themselves, however your right to be cautious as even with safeguards it still doesn't take much to start melting a CPU.

Check your BIOS for any fan controls, if it's not obvious there's also software you can get to control fan speeds in windows (although that does of course require you to run the system).

Is the whole bundle new? Motherboard, CPU, heatsink?

5 minutes is ludicrous unless you have a heatsink the size of your entire case.
Either you got a fan for the wrong connector(PWM is the new standard that might not play nice with old fans) or the fan is cloged up / worn out and it wont spin up when it's suppose to.

Check if your motherboard CPU connector or your fan connector has 4 pins, if only one of them has you got a PWM problem.
But you can stick that fan connector on any other 3 pin connector on the motherboard(should have plenty) and then try if it fires up, if not then you need to clean the fan.

I wouldn't mess in the BIOS right now because things can take a while to work out and you really can't risk it, but once you got it spinning do check things out to make sure shutdown temperatures are set and the fans are set on full power.

Google the motherboard and look for a wiring diagram for the CPU fan control.

I sent it back for a refund. Thanks to everyone for the advice though. To answer some above posters, both connections were 4 pin so it wasn't that. I also went into the bios and set the minimum fan speed to something like 87.5% of it's max RPM, and it still wouldn't spin.

miketehmage:
I sent it back for a refund. Thanks to everyone for the advice though. To answer some above posters, both connections were 4 pin so it wasn't that. I also went into the bios and set the minimum fan speed to something like 87.5% of it's max RPM, and it still wouldn't spin.

Ah well! I had loads of problems when I first had my gaming PC, its just a matter of perseverance! :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here