Choosing a H.P. Lovecraft book

From what I have seen online Lovercraft made a nice universe with his books and I am interested in reading about it. with which book should I start?

"Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories" published by Penguin books is a great place to start.

Find the Necronomicon.

It's a collection of a lot of his work and is great to read in bursts or a whole afternoon.

If you don't mind e-books you can get the Collected Stories of H.P. Lovecraft published by the Library of Alexandria for $2. That's how I got them. It's available for iOS and Kindle. Not sure about Android, though. It's nice because It has all his novels and most of his short stories. The most iconic are probably The Dunwich Horror, The Call of Cthulu, At the Mountains of Madness and Herbert West: Reanimator. I usually find the short stories to almost be more entertaining.

Dr.Susse:
Find the Necronomicon.

It's a collection of a lot of his work and is great to read in bursts or a whole afternoon.

I second that.
It can also be used as a blunt weapon that deals extra damage against Shoggoths. You know, just in case one of those slimy globs comes creeping up on you. You can't do that with an e-book! ;)

Gentleman Adventurer:
"Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories" published by Penguin books is a great place to start.

This. A good, relatively cheap collection of his best stuff.

Dr.Susse:
Find the Necronomicon.

This would be better, but in the UK it's about £20. If you can afford it though, do get it, because it is beautiful.

So...*sniff* beautiful...

Doclector:

Gentleman Adventurer:

Dr.Susse:
Find the Necronomicon.

This would be better, but in the UK it's about £20. If you can afford it though, do get it, because it is beautiful.

And as Sewa yunga said it's meaty as anything.

Dr.Susse:

Doclector:

Gentleman Adventurer:

Dr.Susse:
Find the Necronomicon.

And as Sewa yunga said it's meaty as anything.

OH GOD, WHY DID I HAVE TO BE A POOR STUDENT AT THE TIME! WHYYYYYY!? Such things I could not possess!

Doclector:
OH GOD, WHY DID I HAVE TO BE A POOR STUDENT AT THE TIME! WHYYYYYY!? Such things I could not possess!

There is still time to repent!
Do you live near the sea? I'm sure you could strike a deal with certain creatures to get you some gold...

Iš! Iš!

Get "The Mound", it's a book with a few short stories in it, one of them notably longer than the others. It's not directly a Cthulhu story but it tells of an amazing underground city and horrendous and fascinating (at the same time) practices therein, like an anthropologist's journal, almost. I absolutely loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/1853757632/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334569053&sr=1-1

this contains the greatest hits of H.P. in my opinion (and its cheapish)

Most of his more popular works can be found here in this compilation, and most of the lesser known ones in this one. Some of the more famous stories to check out are "The Shadow Out of Time", "Call of Cthulhu", "At the Mountain of Madness", "The Shadow over Innsmouth", "Dagon", and "The Dunwich Horror".

Also, note that Lovecraft's works are now so old that quite a few of them (in the US, generally the ones published before 1928) are in public domain. Which means you can legally read those which are on the internet for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-H-P-Lovecraft-ebook/dp/B0057JQ8C8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334617519&sr=1-1

Complete works in an e-book for 99 cents if you want to support the compiler, free from her website

You're welcome

You can get the Necronomicon on play.com for £15.00.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked