So once again, I feel like I'm out of games..

I'm looking for a single player RPG to fill the gap of the recently completed The Witcher 2. I usually spend the majority of my gaming-time playing a big RPG, with small breaks where I play smaller RPGs, FPS's, RTS, Racing games, genre doesn't really matter, as long as the game is well made and entertains me, but now it's the big RPG that's lacking, something that has never happened to me before, I feel desperate..

I completed the following:
Dragon Age 1 + 2
Fallout 3 + New Vegas
The Witcher 2
Borderlands
Mass Effect 1 + 2

I even own Skyrim, but I do not care for it at all, if I could, I'd like to drown it but I own a digital copy, so that'd include drowning my computer I think, I'll refrain from it.

My question is, can anyone think of good single player RPGs that'll keep me entertained for a long time?

Bauldur's Gate series.
Icewind Dale series.
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor.
Temple of Elemental Evil.
Never Winter Nights series. (mileage may vary for these.)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series.

EDIT: Errr, Mass Effect 3.

Did you even try the first Witcher? Honestly I think it's better than the second. Even if the combat was a little lackluster, I freaking love it's gameplay.

I'll give some of those games a go, thank you.

I'dy try GOG.com lots of old school RPG's, Fallout 1&2 are especially good.

Regnes:
Did you even try the first Witcher? Honestly I think it's better than the second. Even if the combat was a little lackluster, I freaking love it's gameplay.

Ew.

I respect that we're all individuals with divergent opinions, but I can't let this go without an obligatory "ew". Really?

Ew.

Crumpster:
My question is, can anyone think of good single player RPGs that'll keep me entertained for a long time?

You've hit on most of the big ones, and a lot of the golden oldies have been covered elsewhere in this thread. Although Bishop missed Planescape for some reason, which is inexcusable.

If you're feeling tolerant of dodgy mechanics, you might give Alpha Protocol a try. It shares some common ground with Bioware's offerings. Alternatively, Human Revolutions lets a little RPG drip into its primarily sneak n' shoot game play.

May I ask what it was about Skyrim that irked you so?

BloatedGuppy:
May I ask what it was about Skyrim that irked you so?

I'm not really sure how to explain it. I didn't get that feeling of exploring every conversation option, the story just simply didn't intrigue me, nor did the world.
That's the main reason I don't want to play it, since I play a game like that mainly for its storyline.

I can play games without storylines as well, but the combat mechanics would have to be awesome, and Skyrim combat just doesn't appeal to me. When you swing your weapon and hit someone, I don't get that feeling of the blow connecting and when I'm playing a mage, the magic seems.. bland, I'd call it.

I'm not bashing on the game or saying it's a bad game, it's just not my style.

Arcanum: Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Go get them right now. Or later, but definitely try them out. Awesome games, both made by Troika games, which themselves were part of the team behind Fallout.

System Shock 2.
Hunt down a copy - downloaded or purchased: it hasn't been in production for years, so copies are a little thin on the ground. As an rpg it is amazing, and it has a dedicated modding community.

It is brilliant.

GOG.com! You can get old-school games for cheap. I'd get Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics isn't bad. More of a combat game than role-playing. You could give Psychonauts a shot.

One oldschool RPG that doesn't come up often enough in threads like this: Betrayal at Krondor. It's widely regarded as one of the best RPGs of all time, and it's set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar universe. Anyway, it was released as legal freeware for some anniversary or another. If you poke around online, you should be able to find it. Alternatively, GoG has it and its spiritual successor, Betrayal in Antara, available in a bundle for $5.99. I can vouch that they're both good games, although I may be a bit biased since Betrayal in Antara was my first ever RPG.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked