Quick question about sexual fetishes

Will a sexual fetish or desire "go away" if one does not act or dwell on those impulses?

It's possible yes that if you actively monitor your reaction to a fetish and not practice any sort of sexual activity while dwelling on the fetish, it can be treated. However, it's recommended that in addition to this, the patient seek cognitive therapy and psychoanalysis.

It's more likely that you'll find something else that excites you and you'll get a little bored of your original fetish. Most people have one, it's certainly nothing to be concerned about, assuming that you're not being weird and pervy in public or putting yourself in dangerous situations.

Haseo21:
Will a sexual fetish or desire "go away" if one does not act or dwell on those impulses?

Is there a fetish you want to will away?

Haseo21:

I don't think it's really a case where sexual fetishes can be directly "treated" by ignoring them. There's almost always an underlying reason for the fetish in the first place. A lot of this stuff gestates in our formative years, so you might as well be trying to make your personality go away by ignoring it.

I've found some fetishes just dithered away in time, and others got louder and louder the less attention I paid to them. Brains are funny things.

Presuming it's not harmful to yourself or others, just find a GGG partner and indulge it. Most fetishes are perfectly harmless and only mildly embarrassing.

BloatedGuppy:

Haseo21:

I don't think it's really a case where sexual fetishes can be directly "treated" by ignoring them. There's almost always an underlying reason for the fetish in the first place. A lot of this stuff gestates in our formative years, so you might as well be trying to make your personality go away by ignoring it.

I've found some fetishes just dithered away in time, and others got louder and louder the less attention I paid to them. Brains are funny things.

Presuming it's not harmful to yourself or others, just find a GGG partner and indulge it. Most fetishes are perfectly harmless and only mildly embarrassing.

Yeah, but the one Im talking about in particular formed during my first semester of college which was basically around September of last year.

Haseo21:
Yeah, but the one Im talking about in particular formed during my first semester of college which was basically around September of last year.

That's when it manifested. Lord only knows when the groundwork was laid for it.

Fetishes or paraphilias aren't generally things that go away over time, but of-course the real question here is why would you want it to? Pay no heed to anyone who dismisses your quirk as "disgusting" or "weird", there's nothing wrong with what goes on in your imagination and if it would be harmful to yourself or someone-else if you did in real life, just keep it safely tucked away in your head.

It depends greatly on what it is.

Personally, I think that there's a fine line between healthy and just plain wrong. If you don't act on them but obsess over them, then they can become unhealthy. I find a lot of times (and I am speaking from experience as I done a lot of freaky things in my time) they're never as good as you hope for. For example, sex on the beach. It all sounds great, the sun going down, the surf breaking on the shoreline, but in reality, there's a huge problem with sand. You will be finding it for days. You know when you go to the beach and get sand in your shoes? Imagine that, but with yours and your partners genitals.

Haseo21:

If it's a true fetish or paraphilia as I understand the psychological term, no. Because in the case of a true fetish the fetishist can't find sexual release without it.

If you're talking "fetish" to mean something equivalent to "kink", well, it depends. Possibly. It depends. Though simple repression seems like a way to turn the kink into a true parapihilia. Better IMHO to understand why it is you like it.

Take it from someone who's already been there and bought a postcard - even if you can get rid of it I highly doubt you can do that alone without professional help. I also don't think you will get much in-depth knowledge from random people on the Internet, no matter how knowledgeable or insightful this forum can be at times. So, if you want to tackle this in any meaningful way I'd suggest seeing a professional about it.

That said, if you want or should want to is not even such an easy question to begin with as JoJo and weirdsoup already highlighted: it very much depends on the scope of the fetish in question. From what I could gather, most fetishes, while weird, are not inherently harmful and suppressing them might lead to more harm than simply...well...indulging in them.

And I'd stress that if we are speaking about such a fetish now and bar the usual exceptions (e.g. self-harm, keeping it private etc.) this question is a thing only you yourself can and should decide. In this instance, nobody has the right to give a flying fuck what's going on in your head. Don't let some contrived notion of normalcy influence your decision here.

Also this little column on the Escapist from the Ask Dr. Mark series seems relevant.

Unless your fetish involves anyone underage, incest, animals or anything non-consensual it doesn't really need to "go away". Just find a partner that shares your interest.

And yes chances are there are other people that share it, even if its only a very small minority.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked