I always feel like I'm wasting time.

For the last few months of my life, I have felt that no matter what I've been doing, I've been wasting my time. I'd be playing a video game, then stop because I feel it's a waste of time, I'd be watching TV, then stop because it's a waste of time, I'd be exercising then stop because I think, well, it's a waste of time. Can anyone explain to me why I think everything is a waste of time and I should be doing something more productive, yet nothing is.

You're getting bored, I guess. Try doing something significant, that you feel like you're helping others. Donate blood, donate old clothes to some shelter or make doing those things you were doing more enjoyable. Do you play online? Do you have a headset? Talking shit makes gaming better, even if you sound like some punk. Watch a TV show that will actually make you laugh. Not a small giggle, like an uproarious laughter. Dramas are too slow paced, and once a comedy makes you laugh, you'll stay hooked. When at the gym, feel free to help out the 'noob'. Gyms always have them. Give them tips or just spot them. Not only are helping others, but you're also socializing. Have an optimistic mentality. Always look on the bright side. The reward outweighs the suffering when working out. Get a win or pass a level or just skip it and take a bike ride or go out to see friends. If you still feel like you're wasting time, get a job. Any job(not the ones they show on discovery channel).

I really can't offer any advice except to tell you I feel the same way. You aren't alone. I just think it comes from the fact that life itself is utterly pointless. No matter what you do in life we all end up dead anyways. A homeless drunk bum and the President of the United States of America. Don't mean to be crude, but we all sit on the toilet and take a shit, and we all die.

You have to give yourself goals to work towards, aspirations are what keep us moving forward.

Take up a hobby with a more "practical" purpose, like Martial Arts, which is very time consuming but also fun, you'll be learning how to defend yourself and if you choose, you can compete in tournaments. This or something like this probably wouldn't feel like a waste of time since it improves your overall quality of life.

You could also get a job that will give you a lot of work, so when you get home those things you feel are a waste of time now become activities that let you relax. Video games and TV are leisure activities and if all you do is game, it can actually get old pretty fast.

Some little things mentioned above include donating blood, maybe community service, clean your house, adopt a kitten. The point is you have to do something that benefits your life or the lives of others, so you can justify that at least your doing something useful... or work your arse off so much that those things that feel like a waste of time no longer do.

I don't know your educational level or work status, if you haven't already gone to college, you could do that also.

Entei:
Can anyone explain to me why I think everything is a waste of time and I should be doing something more productive, yet nothing is.

Can you explain first why it bothers you ?

JesterRaiin:

Entei:
Can anyone explain to me why I think everything is a waste of time and I should be doing something more productive, yet nothing is.

Because I don't want to waste time? ._.

Entei:

JesterRaiin:

Entei:

Because I don't want to waste time? ._.

I'm not trolling you or trying to pull some weird trick here, but i'd like to ask more : why do you think you shouldn't waste your time. I mean, what's wrong with simply living, without some great plan, without worrying too much about your current and future position and stuff ?

Fillio is on the right track, but in general the problem is you lack a worthy goal to strive towards, and I'm not really sure how to fix that, beyond searching your passions for something you can pursue long-term

I think you might be depressed. Seriously. If this is interfering in your life as much as you say it is, that's a serious problem. The same thing happens to me occasionally, where I just don't feel like doing anything, and only when I eventually snap out of it do I look back and realize that I felt like shit. If you don't want to see a psychiatrist the only advice I can give is to find something productive and force yourself to do it.

You are saying that like it's a bad thing! haha!

Congratulations!

Now all you need is a boring and repetitive job, several bills, poor credit, and a deceptively simple social life to round yourself out into a full-blown Human Adult.

go out and have fun. Get drunk, meet a girl

Entei:
For the last few months of my life, I have felt that no matter what I've been doing, I've been wasting my time. I'd be playing a video game, then stop because I feel it's a waste of time, I'd be watching TV, then stop because it's a waste of time, I'd be exercising then stop because I think, well, it's a waste of time. Can anyone explain to me why I think everything is a waste of time and I should be doing something more productive, yet nothing is.

You're just in a state of mind I like to call "Overbored". It's that point where everything seems pointless because it's getting boring. It goes away eventually, just find something fun to do.

Entei:

This is actually a red flag of depression, people telling you otherwise are not helping. The first comment was the best, try something small but meaningful. Giving blood is a good one, volunteer in a hospice anything.

When I feel like this (which I do, a lot) I start to learn something. It doesn't really matter what it is, but I feel like I'm doing something productive.

Learn a language, learn how to cook, learn how to fix a leaky toilet... anything, and when you do actually need it in the future (which you will) you'll feel a great reward. Incidently I don't know how to fix a leaky toilet. My toilet is leaking though so, yeah learn how to do that, beacuse a leaky toilet sucks.

Serioulsy, just break your habits. If you spend all your time indoors go to a park. If you never do anything creative, do something creative, if you only do things that are creative, do something practical. etc. You'll be fine, just try new things until something feels right.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked