Stay, leave, or other?

I am currently in a long term relationship with my first girlfriend who I met in high school (In sophomore year of college now). We're going on 2 years now and we're both very happy together and attracted to one another. I've had my occasional interest in other girls, in which I mean beyond just the sexual realm. These fleeting interests in my female friends leads me to wonder how big that theoretical "sea" really is.
Even though I'm happy with who I am with, things are starting to get heavy and we are not without our differences in interests and most prominently religious views. These differences make me wonder if things would work out in the long run. Maybe there is someone out there that is a better match? Is my questioning of this mean I'm subconsciously not happy with my partner? Am I worried about this too early? How much more time should I devote to this relationship before it should worry me? If I'm in a good relationship should I not poke at it?

Don't create a problem if you can help it. So long as it's still a positive then I wouldn't fixate on what could go wrong.

The grass indeed is always greener sir, i think it's the curse of people in relationships everywhere to forget why they came together in the first place and take it for granted somehow. i'd say what youre going through is fairly typical of all couples, even the best of, nothing to do anything drastic over anyway. A better line of questioning in terms of whether the relationship makes sense might come from yours and her long term goals and how they match up. But as the first poster said, fixing on the negative side may just lead you to sabotage a good thing. If its not working then it's not working, but if you throw it away through self doubt you'll regret it in the long run. trust me.

You are never going to find someone who you have no disagreements with, ever (my girlfriend is vegetarian). I think that you've made it work this long shows that these disagreements aren't anything to be worried about. Everything you've said is reasonable, but I think it will pass. You just seem afraid of a more committed, 'heavy' relationship.

As others have said "the grass is always greener"...Other women seem more appealing because there is no baggage, it's a fantasy. You don't see their quirks that get on your nerves, the arguments you'll have with her, the granny panties...because in your mind you can just see the ideal of "what could be". When all is said and done though, no relationship is perfect and throwing away a two year relationship over a fantasy that odds are would end up being no more perfect than where you find yourself now.

Dragonclaw:
As others have said "the grass is always greener"...Other women seem more appealing because there is no baggage, it's a fantasy. You don't see their quirks that get on your nerves, the arguments you'll have with her, the granny panties...because in your mind you can just see the ideal of "what could be". When all is said and done though, no relationship is perfect and throwing away a two year relationship over a fantasy that odds are would end up being no more perfect than where you find yourself now.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my situation, this above post was particularly helpful and makes a lot of sense.

stay man

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked