Monitor receives No Signal message randomly during any games

Ok, so this isnt for myself but my girlfriend. Randomly at any time while playing any game, her monitor will receive a "No Signal" message then go black, she will receive sound for a short while ranging from a few seconds to half a minute after that time, then everything goes dead and she needs to force a restart on her computer.

This is incredibly annoying as we enjoy playing games together and she is looking forward to The Secret World coming out soon, and I have tried googling the problem but found no help whatsoever.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you.

I also have her DxDiag file if anybody needs information on her specification.

mobo: ixtreme M3720 (I think)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.5ghz
RAM: 4GB
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Our family computer had this problem, it can be caused by a few things...

-The monitor might not be getting enough power, try plugging the monitor into a separate socket and see if the problem keeps happening.

-The video card might be fried, not much I can say for you here.

-The computer may be overheating due to a broken fan, or lack of ventilation. This was the problem with ours, we opened up the tower and found all sorts of dog hair shoved into the fan, we cleaned out the inside with compressed air and moved it away from the wall. That fixed the problem.

If the sound cuts off a few minutes after the picture and then the computer is completely frozen it definitely looks like overheating (CPU/RAM) Do you know if it does that "often" when she just started it up for the day or if it's usually after a few hours of usage ? Also when she restarts it does it work for a while or it's shorter and shorter ?

I'd suggest downloading and monitoring something like realtemp (gives realtime cpu/gpu temperature) to see if it's the issue.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Thank you for the quick replies, I'll forward these to her. In response to Mekado, it appears to be completely random with every game she plays but it only ever happens while playing a game. It can happen two minutes in after staring at a menu, or you can play for several hours before the screen blacks out. After a restart there appears to be no change in the time it takes for this to happen.

Ok, so far the computer has been taken apart and the dust has been blown out a bit so its a bit cleaner especially around the fans, although she's going to get a can of compressed air tomorrow and do it again then. Its been moved out of where it usually sits into a more spacious area, the power sockets have been changed, and it still blacks out although now she is saying while testing it with The Secret World game, it seems to black out after about 15 minutes of having it running. The temperature software is going to be installed soon, but it isnt looking like an overheating issue so far.

Anymore ideas?

Update: With the temperature software running it seems to be at a stable 60 Celsius, this has been tested on killing floor and TSW, however a full game of killing floor was managed without a black screen (even though in the past it has blackscreened after about 20 minutes or so or even 10 minutes) but The Secret World still black screens between 5-25 minutes.

Any more ideas or suggestions?

phosphorus2500:
Update: With the temperature software running it seems to be at a stable 60 Celsius, this has been tested on killing floor and TSW, however a full game of killing floor was managed without a black screen (even though in the past it has blackscreened after about 20 minutes or so or even 10 minutes) but The Secret World still black screens between 5-25 minutes.

Any more ideas or suggestions?

Hmm 60 C is a little hot but nothing to be concerned about, it should be fine ...

And you're sure the computer "shuts down" a few moments after the video goes out right ? if it didn't i'd say the video card has some fried chips but if the computer locks up it's a total shutdown, which would put the problem somewhere in-between the CPU/RAM/Motherboard, it'd be very difficult to test without extra hardware (change the video card, test it for a while, change the ram, test it for a while,etc...)

I am actually having the same problem. CPU and GPU temperatures are both well within normal operating ranges, Microsoft memtest, hotcpu, and spinrite have all run their full courses and come back clean so no hardware errors.

It seems to only happen to me while playing The Secret World. I've benchmarked the system with City of Heroes on max settings in a crowded area, as well as Skyrim, and neither causes any kind of problem.

mobo: ECS A740GM-M (AMD 740G chipset)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: NVidia GeForce GTX 560

Doesn't seem like there's any overlap between my hardware and the OP's girlfriend :(

EDIT:
Shortly after posting this, I found the cause of the problem: insufficient power.
There was an air conditioner on the same household circuit as my computer. Every time it kicked on, it put a little too much drain on the house's wiring and the computer wouldn't have the power to keep running completely. The monitor and some of the computer's systems would shut off, but the power supply and the mainboard LED would stay on.

I hope this helps!

Barbra Corbo:

EDIT:
Shortly after posting this, I found the cause of the problem: insufficient power.
There was an air conditioner on the same household circuit as my computer. Every time it kicked on, it put a little too much drain on the house's wiring and the computer wouldn't have the power to keep running completely. The monitor and some of the computer's systems would shut off, but the power supply and the mainboard LED would stay on.

I hope this helps!

I've been having some peculiar issues similar to what's been discussed on this thread...I'm just wondering HOW you figured it was a insufficient power (PSU?) issue?

My problem is related, although slightly different: whilst rendering video out of After Effects and Premiere CS5, I lose my monitors and I can't figure out why. The signal loss to my monitors is inevitable no matter what I try within the programs. This never used to happen with these programs, although I've encountered random signal loss whilst watching video on Youtube...

Any help would be much appreciated...

MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 920@2.67
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT9500

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked