Worth buying a DSi or 3DS for Pokemon?

Here's the thing, I'm going to Japan in a month for 2 weeks. Not my first time going, so I know what to expect. The flight is 11 hours and I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling via train whilst I'm there, so I'm thinking of buying a DSi or 3DS.

The main reason is for Pokemon as the games are the ultimate time killers. However I'm torn between getting a DSi or a 3DS. The DSi is cheaper, has a much better battery life (which is important) and I really don't care for the 3D effect of the 3DS. However the 3DS is a more long term investment as the the future of Nintendo games are going to be for that. However it's a got a crap battery life and it's expansive as hell because of a 3D feature which I really don't care about.

So yeah, I'm torn on which to buy. Is it worth buying one at all?
:S

I would say that you should get a DS of any variety, just because there are so many games worth playing on the DS. Plus, like you said, it has Pokemon, the ultimate time killer, and the newer Pokemon games really aren't as bad as people say they are.

The real question of which to get depends on how many 3DS games that are out or coming out that interest you. If it's enough to justify the purchase, then get the 3DS. It's not smart to buy a system based just on the promise of future games, because by the time enough come out, the system will surely be cheaper, and there will probably be another iteration of it that fixes most of the problems of the first one.

Lethos:
Here's the thing, I'm going to Japan in a month for 2 weeks. Not my first time going, so I know what to expect. The flight is 11 hours and I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling via train whilst I'm there, so I'm thinking of buying a DSi or 3DS.

The main reason is for Pokemon as the games are the ultimate time killers. However I'm torn between getting a DSi or a 3DS. The DSi is cheaper, has a much better battery life (which is important) and I really don't care for the 3D effect of the 3DS. However the 3DS is a more long term investment as the the future of Nintendo games are going to be for that. However it's a got a crap battery life and it's expansive as hell because of a 3D feature which I really don't care about.

So yeah, I'm torn on which to buy. Is it worth buying one at all?
:S

Would like to point out that Ninty have come out and said that the 3DS XL which is being released in 2013 as far as I know, is going to be their last 3D console until a time when the technology is better, I'll see if I can find you a source, I believe there's one on the Escapist...

On topic, get a DS lite, it's small, has a 10 hour battery life and plays everything a DSi will, and is cheaper so you can then get more games. Also definitely get Heart Gold or Soul Silver if you're getting a Pokemon game, they're really really good. Black/White were okay in my opinion, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were good, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were too, and FireRed/LeafGreen were not bad, but you get basically everything in those two in Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

tl;dr, get a DS Lite, get Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver and then have a whale of a time, and then get whatever other games you fancy :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118428-3DS-XL-Will-Be-Nintendos-Last-3D-System There's your source :)

i would go with DSi or a Lite if you can still find one. the 3DS looks like it might be the gamecube of this generation, while the NDS has an excellent catalogue of game.

Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty set on avoiding the 3DS now because like ohnoitsabear said, it's risky buying an expensive console for what might come out.

Regarding the DSi or the DS Lite: A DS Lite would cost me 50 whilst a DSi will set me back 70. Is the DSi worth the extra 20?

Also nice call on Pokemon Soul Silver and Heart Gold, Palreyfish. Pokemon Crystal was the best game I had when I was still rocking the Gameboy Colour. Also like to add that I already have Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Diamond. Found my old original DS as well. It still plays games, but it's kinda dying so it doesn't invalidate a new purchase.

Lethos:
Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty set on avoiding the 3DS now because like ohnoitsabear said, it's risky buying an expensive console for what might come out.

Regarding the DSi or the DS Lite: A DS Lite would cost me 50 whilst a DSi will set me back 70. Is the DSi worth the extra 20?

Also nice call on Pokemon Soul Silver and Heart Gold, Palreyfish. Pokemon Crystal was the best game I had when I was still rocking the Gameboy Colour. Also like to add that I already have Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Diamond. Found my old original DS as well. It still plays games, but it's kinda dying so it doesn't invalidate a new purchase.

Cheers, and no problem :) You basically have all the pokemon games worth getting, unless you particularly want FireRed/LeafGreen, however the DSi cannot play Emerald/GBA games in general, so consequently I'd get a DS Lite and maybe a copy of Black/White.

Get a Game Boy Color! Red Version is where it's at!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked