Anyone have any experience with a gastric bypass surgery?

After being overweight and obese 90% of my known life I've finally started to look at gastric bypass as a form of treatment, and while google is good and all I would love to see if anyone has an recommendations or experience on the matter?

Any information you have or experience would be greatly appreciated :D

I haven't had any personal experience with gastric bypass, but there is a friend of my family who had it done relatively recently, so I have a little firsthand experience, but others will probably be able to give you better or more specific information.

The main thing is that gastric bypass is a serious surgery, and should only be done as a last resort. It will require a major lifestyle change, not to mention the complications that could arise from making major modifications to your digestive system.

My advice would be to talk to a doctor about it. They would be able to best tell you if getting gastric bypass would be the best option, or let you explore other options if it isn't.

ohnoitsabear:
I haven't had any personal experience with gastric bypass, but there is a friend of my family who had it done relatively recently, so I have a little firsthand experience, but others will probably be able to give you better or more specific information.

The main thing is that gastric bypass is a serious surgery, and should only be done as a last resort. It will require a major lifestyle change, not to mention the complications that could arise from making major modifications to your digestive system.

My advice would be to talk to a doctor about it. They would be able to best tell you if getting gastric bypass would be the best option, or let you explore other options if it isn't.

Hmm pretty much what I had planned, but thank you :D

No experience at all but a quick search gave these stats
-Costs can vary from $27,000-$70,000 (Approximates and from 2009 most likely lowered)
-Relatively high chance of complications (Again most likely lowered)
-Lose about 65%-80% excess body mass.

Also watching scrubs tells me it's incredibly invasive and dangerous but I doubt that's a reliable source :P

Keoul:
-Costs can vary from $27,000-$70,000 (Approximates and from 2009 most likely lowered)

Also watching scrubs tells me it's incredibly invasive and dangerous but I doubt that's a reliable source :P

As much as I love Scrubs I find it hard to use them as a source (Unless its talking about sarcasm)

But thanks, I think I'll bring it up with my doctor and he can give me an up to date stat rundown.

Saviordd1:

Keoul:

As much as I love Scrubs I find it hard to use them as a source (Unless its talking about sarcasm)

But thanks, I think I'll bring it up with my doctor and he can give me an up to date stat rundown.

Well seems like your going full steam a head with this, but dude i highly advise looking into a high protien low carb diet. I've lost 2 stone over 3 months with minimal excerise just eating less than 20g of carbs a day, plenty of fresh meat, fish and leafy veg ;) It costs abit to live on but you do get results and if your looking at spending crazy money and risking surgery nothing to loose :). If you're intrested drop me a PM ill provide you with the resourses you need to get going.

Honestly - before you get bypass they make you change your entire lifestyle anyway, so you would probably lose weight without it if you followed those guidelines. It's a hard thing to do, and severly limits what you can eat for the rest of your life. Want that last peice of cake after a day spent hiking? A normal person could have it without feeling guilty - your stomach might tear as it's already full.

Also, the digestive problems that arise from it are not fun. Be prepared for a lot of ... messy bathroom trips from then on.

I don't agree with having it done - and I've been overweight since about age 6. I think the risks far outweigh the ... well, gains.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked