Looking for some good urban fantasy

So I've always greatly enjoyed the Dresden Files, and it makes the whole genre of Urban Fantasy very appealing. However when I search for other good urban fantasy all I can usually find are covers with chiseled shirtless fallen biker angels, and scantily-clad sucubi. I was wondering if anyone knew a good series of this type that doesn't focus on werewolf sex, that they would reccomend (Just to clarify, I obviously don't mind the presence of sex in the book seeing as I read the Dresden Files, but I would like it if it wasn't always about someone's breasts).

Do you mean books or TV?
The Dresden Files existed in both forms.

If you're up to video games, try the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, Persona and Nocturn take place (for the most part) in modern day Japan. Also The World Ends With You.

I thought the first three Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter books were pretty good and set up an interesting world that was, sadly, tossed to the wayside in favor of being little more than a bodice-ripper.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and King Rat by China Miéville are the stand-outs of good writing and takes on urban fantasy on my bookshelf.

And, for pulp TV tie-ins, there are plenty of Buffy, Angel, Charmed, and Supernatural books out there. Quality varies from writer to writer and one's love of the source material, of course.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchet.

If you like graphic novels, check out Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, Fables.

Stew Coard:
So I've always greatly enjoyed the Dresden Files, and it makes the whole genre of Urban Fantasy very appealing. However when I search for other good urban fantasy all I can usually find are covers with chiseled shirtless fallen biker angels, and scantily-clad sucubi. I was wondering if anyone knew a good series of this type that doesn't focus on werewolf sex, that they would reccomend (Just to clarify, I obviously don't mind the presence of sex in the book seeing as I read the Dresden Files, but I would like it if it wasn't always about someone's breasts).

I found the Ironside series by Holly Black to be pretty good...but other than that I don't think I've read too much urban fantasy. I might have to take some suggestions from this thread, lol.

I'd like to add the Marla Mason series, by T.A. Pratt. Great urban fantasy books.

Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm. Unless you're looking for something gritty and nasty with lots of supernatural murders and plenty of sex, in which case, never mind.

Used copies seem to be going for $13 and up on Amazon; I consider this a good sign. How did everyone forget this book? Why isn't it in a twentieth reprinting? Look, I'll give you my copy! Meet me in front of the cathedral in Strasbourg this Saturday at noon.

I second the earlier mention of China Mieville, but I recommend his other novel 'Perdido Street Station'. It is about this weird city built on the back of some long dead beast. People are punished by having to undergo forced mutations and become second class citizens known as the Remade. It follows this eccentric scientist trying to stop a creature he feels responsible for. The writing is just dripping with atmosphere.

I also adore 'The Lies of Locke Lamore'. It is about this cunning con artist pulling off big heists and finding a way to topple both high elite and the city's crime lord. Think extremely complex jewel heist movie set in medieval city. The writing is really solid and the main character is super likeable. He reminds me a bit like Lupin, but not lecherous, as in he relies on his intellect rather than brawn and always has cunning tricks. It isn't modern day... but it isn't high fantasy with tons of magic and monsters.

Stew Coard:
snip

I think you should read Night Watch (dt:Wächter der Nacht) and its sequels by Sergej Lukianenko.
It has a raven sitting on its cover, with some red slashes on a black backdrop behind it. For the sequels the cover artist changed the slashes' color to blue/orange/teal and the raven strikes a different pose on every book!
On a more serious note, here's a synopsis from its tvtropes entry:

TvTropes:
Night Watch is set in Moscow in 1998-2007 (book timeline) / circa 2004 (movie timeline). The world is pretty much the gritty ex-Communist concrete-a-thon we know and love, with a major difference. There are Others. Others are non-humans, born by humans and have special abilities. Vampires, shapeshifters, wizards, prophets, warlocks... and all others. What distinguishes Others from humans is their innate ability to manipulate "The Twilight", a "mirror-world" of magical energy. Others come in two flavors, Light and Dark, and the Light and Dark have been conflicting since the beginning of time. In the 12th century or so, the Others from both sides realized that conflicts between them, due to their vast power and influence over humans, could destroy the world. So they wrote and signed the Treaty, which basically states that each side is allowed to form a Watch to monitor the activities of the other side from becoming overly excessive, in turn monitored by a joint Inquisition. The Treaty has held up well, and all fighting between Light and Dark has moved into the shadows.

Stew Coard:

Check out Rob Thurman's work, she's very similar to the Dresden Files. A little less humour and not quite as well written, but the setting is pretty similar and they'll tide you over until we find out what happened to poor dead Harry.

Sewa_Yunga:

Stew Coard:
snip

I think you should read Night Watch (dt:Wächter der Nacht) and its sequels by Sergej Lukianenko.

And I second this. Also, watch the movies, because while they aren't as good they are pretty batshit insane and everyone loves a trippy demon party!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked