So you gear heads, help a guy out...

Please ^.^ So I just bought a 94 Buick Century, and it seems like a pretty solid car: it runs well, gets decent gas mileage (for its age), has almost no rust on it (important where I live since harsh winter=lots of rusty vehicles), and is nice and roomy. So whats my problem? Well, for starters, it has this annoying rattle to it that sounds like its coming from the rear passenger window. Not all the time, mostly over rough roads but sometimes it will happen when Im just cruising along (I should note it only started after I got the car washed at a Delta Sonic.) So there's that, then there's my more pressing matter: a creaking/groaning noise that only happens when I rotate the wheel. Now to be clear, I dont have to be moving for it to make the sound: I can be stopped at a stop light and just rotating the wheel back and forth causes it to make this noise, but only when I turn the wheel more than halfway in one direction or the other (hopefully that makes sense). I checked my power steering fluid, and its full, so what else might it be? Thanks again for anyone who has some advice (besides go to a mechanic, if I had the money/time to do that I wouldnt be asking the internet silly :P)

I'll do the best that I can!

Issue 1: Your window might be loose, or something may have came off inside the door. My old Ford Ranger is the same way. Whenever I go over a bump, I hear lots of rattling noises come from my door. Upon taking it off, I examined everything. It looked okay, but then I lightly tapped the door itself with a hammer. Then I heard that noise. Turns out, my actual window (the glass) was loose. I can actually nudge it a bit in either direction when my window is say, halfway down. That might be your problem. Question though, does the door still work properly? :o

Issue 2: I wouldn't be able to really identify it without being there. Whenever I have a problem like that, I usually pop the hood to check things. Like fluids. One time, that same truck I had would also be a bit noisy when I would turn. Backing up in a tight area also produced the noise. My fix came by making sure I had enough Power Steering Fluid. Sure enough, I was low so my turning was under-performing. After topping it off, the noise disappeared. Something to consider though: your car is old. Old cars can be pretty creaky. So it might be nothing too. My advice is to take a look inside and top off any fluids that may be low. Beyond that, a mechanic would have to examine it outright to determine if it's a normal problem or a intermittent problem.

I really hope this helps!

Brett Dumain:
So there's that, then there's my more pressing matter: a creaking/groaning noise that only happens when I rotate the wheel. Now to be clear, I dont have to be moving for it to make the sound: I can be stopped at a stop light and just rotating the wheel back and forth causes it to make this noise, but only when I turn the wheel more than halfway in one direction or the other (hopefully that makes sense). I checked my power steering fluid, and its full, so what else might it be?

I've had a problem like that when my car is low on oil, and topping up the oil has caused the noise to disappear. I don't know exactly why that happens; power steering isn't one of the automotive components that I've studied in depth.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked