Games my parents can play?

This may sound strange, but bare with me. My parents are getting on in years and I'm starting to note a slip in their mental faculties, like memory lapses and the like. I know this is natural for people their age, nearing 60, but I'm concerned (perhaps unnecessarily so, as I know I won't be able to stop it) and wondering if there's something I can do to try and keep their minds a little sharper.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest games I could get them to help keep their minds occupied? Something simple, approachable, and with no motion control inputs. If it's on the PC, even better.

I've heard good things about the Professor Layton series, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get them in South Africa, and I'd have to get them a DS. Any other suggestions? Does anyone else have a similar scenario they've attempted?

I haven't really had a similar situation as this, but I test my mental clarity for 30 minutes every morning. Using Lumosity, I feel a lot sharper in terms of mental awareness, memory, and problem solving. A lot of elderly people I live around use this, given what age does to your brain. I know it's not a video game, but from my experience it can really make a noticeable difference if you apply it enough each week & it seemed to be similar to what you were asking for. :)

I hope this helps!

I just had a quick look, and found that the brain training game for the DS was also made for PC:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Exercise-Dr-Kawashima-DVD/dp/B0027VSQQA/ref=sr_1_17?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1352457774&sr=1-17

Sorry I have no idea how good this game actually is, but it's on the PC and it's cheap.

Oh, cool. Glad Dr. Kawashima is on PC. Saves us some money. Thanks :D

I'll also check out Lumosity. Seems like a useful tool. Thanks a lot for the input.

Depending on how resistant to technology they are you could try to introduce them to a more complex game, I would not recommend a 3D game because mastering movement in a 3D space takes time, but maybe something strategic/managerial like sim city?

william124:
Depending on how resistant to technology they are you could try to introduce them to a more complex game, I would not recommend a 3D game because mastering movement in a 3D space takes time, but maybe something strategic/managerial like sim city?

Honestly, I was thinking something in 3D would be really nice. I was thinking Minecraft, since there's no real win condition and it's not super difficult, but it's not the most intuitive or approachable game ever. Perhaps if there's a 'complete beginner's guide to Minecraft' adventure map, that might be a good way to get them started.

Otherwise, something like World of Goo might be a nice idea, I think. Puzzle game, not to macabre, also pretty approachable, etc. Managerial might not suite them, I think.

My parents don't understand anything about online gaming I try to explain to them but they still don't understand it

the darknees abyss:
My parents don't understand anything about online gaming I try to explain to them but they still don't understand it

I'm not subjecting my folks to online gaming. Far too competitive and riddled with swearing pre-teens. I'd like to give them something stimulating and approachable. Something they can pick up easily. Online gaming is far from that.

Scratch17:

the darknees abyss:

I'm not subjecting my folks to online gaming. Far too competitive and riddled with swearing pre-teens. I'd like to give them something stimulating and approachable. Something they can pick up easily. Online gaming is far from that.

I only did it to show them there nothing to worry about when I spending hours online and now there more likely to buy me steam games for Christmas.

What about The Walking Dead game? The controls are simple and easy and the game offers an absolutely fantastic story to draw you in, will definitely be a great experience to encourage them to get into gaming. A perfect start in my opinion. Otherwise, puzzle games are pretty much perfect also. Also the Phoenix Wright series are more fantastic story focused games that don't require any skill to play.

Peggle!

Yahtzee mentioned it in one of his first episodes--one about casual games, I think.

What brings it to mind is the fact that they're selling it at the local Sam's Club in a 2-fer pack deal. You can probably order it online from Sam's Club or Amazon.com. The game's supposed to be maddeningly addictive.

I sympathize with you and what you're facing. My dad developed dementia before he died, and my 75 year old mother is no where near as sharp as she was just a few years ago.

All you can do is love them.

Copper Zen:
Peggle!

Yahtzee mentioned it in one of his first episodes--one about casual games, I think.

What brings it to mind is the fact that they're selling it at the local Sam's Club in a 2-fer pack deal. You can probably order it online from Sam's Club or Amazon.com. The game's supposed to be maddeningly addictive.

I sympathize with you and what you're facing. My dad developed dementia before he died, and my 75 year old mother is no where near as sharp as she was just a few years ago.

All you can do is love them.

Thank you for your support, and my sympathy to you with what you're up against. Casual games would be a good start, I think. Then from there, once they get used to the actual use of mouse and / or keyboard for controls, I could work them up to puzzle games. For some reason, World of Goo keeps recurring in my head.

SlaveNumber23:
What about The Walking Dead game? The controls are simple and easy and the game offers an absolutely fantastic story to draw you in, will definitely be a great experience to encourage them to get into gaming. A perfect start in my opinion. Otherwise, puzzle games are pretty much perfect also. Also the Phoenix Wright series are more fantastic story focused games that don't require any skill to play.

I have yet to play it, it's been sitting in my Steam library since the Halloween sale, but I REALLY wanna get to that. I hear good things about it. I think I'd like to steer clear of horror and gore-based games. It's not the kind of thing you'd throw at someone who's last game they played was Tetris on the NES. I'm talking the level where parents call me up in the evenings to ask how to paste links in e-mails. No offence to my parents, they have made some good strides towards tech literacy, but the simpler it is, the better.

Again, Minecraft is an idea, since I can just set it to peaceful and let them go about it, but there's just so much to take in. If I could find some kind of "Minecraft for Absolute Beginners" adventure map, that might be a good place to kick off the game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked