Changing out computer parts.

So i've recently bought a new Graphics card since the old one i had was on its last legs. The problem is that the "Supplementary Power Cables" (these cables that go into the graphics card from my Power Supply) are not the right ones for my computer. see, my old graphics card used a single 6-pin cable however, my new one however requires a 6 x2 Pin Cables. This means my Power Supply needs its cables changed.

What i want to know before i start dismantling my Power Supply is is it possible to change the cables leading from my Power Supply? Or should i just buy a whole new power supply or just save myself the trouble and buy a whole new tower minus the graphics card i already own?

Are there any spare cables lying around from your power supply that are incompatible but not doing anything? Because I had a similar issue when I replaced my graphics card and was able to solve the problem by using adapters to combine two cables I had that were doing nothing into one that I could actually use for my graphics card.

Otherwise I don't really know anything about changing the cables in your power supply, sorry. Good luck!

SlaveNumber23:
Are there any spare cables lying around from your power supply that are incompatible but not doing anything? Because I had a similar issue when I replaced my graphics card and was able to solve the problem by using adapters to combine two cables I had that were doing nothing into one that I could actually use for my graphics card.

Otherwise I don't really know anything about changing the cables in your power supply, sorry. Good luck!

No nothing like that unfortunately. Thankfully Christmas is coming up so i can get a new tower (thing was 4 years old anyway). I already have the graphics card and monitors and such which will make it cheap but i'm worried about making the purchase. I'd hate to get a computer only to find out i can't connect it to my graphics card, been looking up Dell PC towers but they don't specify about the Supply Unit. Anyone have any ideas to this? otherwise i'll just call Dell Customer services on Monday.

Pandalisk:
What i want to know before i start dismantling my Power Supply is is it possible to change the cables leading from my Power Supply?

The answer is 'Yes, Maybe and No'... depending on a few things.

Yes, if you have the knowledge and skills of an electrical/electronics engineer.

Maybe, if your PSU is a modular one but that relies on you having the appropriate spare cables on hand.

Otherwise, no.

However, as mentioned, you can get cable splitters to run as a socket adaptor. I have a '6pin to molex' splitter in my rig (that's 1 6pin GPU power plug wired to 2 4pin molex general power sockets)

Or should i just buy a whole new power supply or just save myself the trouble and buy a whole new tower minus the graphics card i already own?

Splitter is the cheapest way to go... but, did you look up the minimum PSU power rating required by your new GPU card? That'd be the first thing I looked at along with the power rating of the current PSU.

As for a completely new rig... if you're confident enough to drop in your own GPU card and even consider pulling your PSU apparent why aren't you building your own rig? Plenty of people in this sub-forum that'll help you spec it out.

RhombusHatesYou:

Pandalisk:
What i want to know before i start dismantling my Power Supply is is it possible to change the cables leading from my Power Supply?

The answer is 'Yes, Maybe and No'... depending on a few things.

Yes, if you have the knowledge and skills of an electrical/electronics engineer.

Maybe, if your PSU is a modular one but that relies on you having the appropriate spare cables on hand.

Otherwise, no.

However, as mentioned, you can get cable splitters to run as a socket adaptor. I have a '6pin to molex' splitter in my rig (that's 1 6pin GPU power plug wired to 2 4pin molex general power sockets)

Or should i just buy a whole new power supply or just save myself the trouble and buy a whole new tower minus the graphics card i already own?

Splitter is the cheapest way to go... but, did you look up the minimum PSU power rating required by your new GPU card? That'd be the first thing I looked at along with the power rating of the current PSU.

As for a completely new rig... if you're confident enough to drop in your own GPU card and even consider pulling your PSU apparent why aren't you building your own rig? Plenty of people in this sub-forum that'll help you spec it out.

Confidence mostly, the money i sunk into this thing is too much for me to messing about with it, i know a bit about computes (enough to dismantle and put back together a few parts) but to put it all together is to above my skill or confidence.

I thought about a splitter but my manual specifically mentions for me not to do that for my Graphics card, it requires two separate 6 pin x2 cables. So really i would rather purchase a full tower. I was hoping to do it online from DELL, but i don't know if they customize a RIG down to the PSU.

Pandalisk:
to put it all together is to above my skill or confidence.

If you can read a manual and use lego without poking your eye out you have all the skills you need.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked