Quitting gaming?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Seeing as this is the advice forum, I am curious to if anybody has any advice on quitting gaming, seems backwards to be asking on a website that is about gaming, but I'm sure many have tried ;)

Has any one tried quitting all together, how did it go? How strict with yourself were you.

I am being strict, but I'm going away with a friend who I used to game with a lot for a week in mid December, and said I would have some decent games this time around, but it might be a bad move to taste the sweetness once again. This ban on gaming has only just been self inflicted.

Although I would like opinions on if I should play when I go on holiday, I am more interested in how strict you were with yourself and if you succeeded in quitting or cutting back significantly/at all.

You could say I'm asking how to fill my time, but that's not quite the case. Admittedly if I knew how to fill all my time and be happy I wouldn't be here... What I do want to ask though is, how important to you is the social aspect of activities? (in gaming or else where) Would you say people are one of the main driving forces?

If some one has any suggestions on how to make use of time I will take them, as I will be looking longingly at my laptop even though it has no games on it. I am not one to watch TV series although am I scared it will become a habit. Exercise can only be done so much...

Thanks, if I somehow haven't elaborated enough just say, although you will surprise me.

Beat14:
You could say I'm asking how to fill my time, but that's not quite the case. Admittedly if I knew how to fill all my time and be happy I wouldn't be here...

I have to admit I'm a little confused. It sounds like you're kind of bored and desperate for something to do with your time. What was the point of quitting gaming in the first place? Here are some good reasons for 'quitting gaming'.

1. You find you really don't like gaming any more.
2. Your job/school/life has reached a crucial stage and no distraction can be tolerated for a period of time.
3. Someone stole your PC/Console/Mobile phone and you have no means to get another.

If I had to guess, based on your "scared it will become a habit" comment regarding television, you're having one of those early life moments of clarity where you're afraid you're developing bad habits (gaming) and missing out on the wild adventures life has to offer you (???). I generally think that's a little silly...in simply finding a hobby you enjoy you're one up on a lot of people...but at the end of the day your choice is your choice.

So...uh...yeah. Surely there was a reason you quit gaming? I'm sure you imagined yourself doing other things when you made that decision? Kissing girls, jumping out of planes, jumping over sharks on waterskis, that kind of thing? You could do those things. Then you'd be too busy to game!

BloatedGuppy:
-snip-

Hmm, the question of what to do with my time was meant to be the bit on the side, with peoples experience restricting their gaming or stopping being the main subject. Sorry for not being clear.

I think those last two paragraphs in my OP could have done without being there, not including the thanks of course. However I am not going to edit it out, as I believe I will have too much time and won't know what to fill all it with, making me open to suggestions. Awful thing to say, having too much time, such a tragic problem.

My ambition is clear, although I had a moment of doubt when you mentioned jumping over sharks on waterskis.

I partially blame my vagueness on having read a couple of other threads, as I couldn't help but feel that I didn't care about the OP situation even if I could relate, but would happily give advice if some one else hadn't said it, so I didn't bother detailing my sob story as it was unnecessary.

Your description of an early life moment of clarity reassures me I have not been to vague.

Basically- I am curious about peoples time spent trying to stop/restrict gaming
- With what they/you do with the new found time

My language skills are a little obscure. I'm starting to feel sorry for you and others who may read this ;)

I quit gaming last year when I left this website - and the internet period for the most part, to focus on my future with my fiance. The way I quit gaming was by decommissioning my gaming PC, buying a lower end (but still fast, sans GPU) graphics card, and putting the work before play mindset in my head every day of every month. I have a lot of things I do in my life, so there was never a short supply of alternative activities for me to invest time in. Anime, sports, friends, family, learning, traveling, working on my future, school, I mixed & matched all of these with my new chunk of free time. It really depends on what you have available to you, and what you currently invest time with in the present. If your list is short, then I would advise spending time to make it grow. Try new things, have an open mind set. Explore, learn! Decide what's for you, and what you would rather do without. Just my suggestion though. I also did a lot of projects around my house while I was on my break.

Really, it's all up to you! :D

I hope this helps!

why would quit gaming there nothing wrong with being a game addiction
also gaming is awesome

the darknees abyss:
also gaming is awesome

To me it's pretty bad, I can't deal with the false sense of progress any more, got things I want to do and the present time is the best time to start with it. Gaming certainly can be awesome, but I don't see it in such a light any more.

Aylaine:
-snip-

The logical between decommissioning your gaming PC and stopping gaming sure is solid. My gaming PC remains on the basis I like video editing, or at least that's what I'm telling myself...

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I am slowly becoming a fan of the work before play mindset.

Beat14:

Aylaine:
-snip-

The logical between decommissioning your gaming PC and stopping gaming sure is solid. My gaming PC remains on the basis I like video editing, or at least that's what I'm telling myself...

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I am slowly becoming a fan of the work before play mindset.

I'm not too keen on video editing myself, but if you could still do that while stripping down your system, it may let you edit videos still, without the temptation of gaming. In my case, I could have left my PC intact and functioned just fine, but there would always be a desire to play games since I really enjoyed them at that time. Going cold turkey has really balanced me out as a person though. Now, I can play games but I don't get addicted anymore. I've grown, and I know deep down that I have priorities now & that gaming will be there later. :)

You are most welcome. I hope you find a solution that works for you. It ideally does require a bit to a lot of will power, if you choose to keep your gaming PC close and accessible. It's important to be ready to fight urges to game, putting them off until you've done more necessary activities in your life first. This way, not only will you be done with what you need to do, you can then focus on what you want to do without messing up your priorities. :3

Aylaine:
-snip-

The social aspect is probably the biggest draw for playing games, as I feel pretty confident about not playing them at any other time apart from if someone else I know is.

Must be nice knowing that you won't mess up your priorities through gaming, best way imo to look at gaming, it will be there later.

Using the term cold turkey in relation to gaming always does amuse me, however gaming sure does have its hooks that people get snagged onto.

One of my main priorities is eating, so would you believe I'm slowly becoming a master chef. By that I mean I can cook more than pasta now lol

Beat14:

Aylaine:
-snip-

The social aspect is probably the biggest draw for playing games, as I feel pretty confident about not playing them at any other time apart from if someone else I know is.

Must be nice knowing that you won't mess up your priorities through gaming, best way imo to look at gaming, it will be there later.

Using the term cold turkey in relation to gaming always does amuse me, however gaming sure does have its hooks that people get snagged onto.

One of my main priorities is eating, so would you believe I'm slowly becoming a master chef. By that I mean I can cook more than pasta now lol

You can definitely focus more on your culinary skills if you have more time on your hands, then. What I do if friends are playing too is I join in at times, but I don't or try not tom get too invested into it. It also helps that I do not own any consoles, so even if I wanted to go home and play whatever we were just playing, it would require buying a whole console AND the game to make that a reality. :3

Beat14:

the darknees abyss:
also gaming is awesome

To me it's pretty bad, I can't deal with the false sense of progress any more, got things I want to do and the present time is the best time to start with it. Gaming certainly can be awesome, but I don't see it in such a light any more.

Then why don't you get some help.

Beat14:
I can't deal with the false sense of progress any more, got things I want to do and the present time is the best time to start with it. Gaming certainly can be awesome, but I don't see it in such a light any more.

Well, then it sounds like you have nothing to worry about. If you've got tired of the false progress aspect then you're not going to want to play when you have stuff to do, surely? That's what it's like with me now, I have so much uni work, I just feel anxious if I take time out to play games that get me nowhere.

However, the exception for me is when I play games with other people (my boyfriend, mostly). In this case it's no more time wasting than watching a film or TV with them. And playing games in this context doesn't tempt me to play games alone when I should be working, I've simply got used to the idea that there is a time and a place for playing games and that's at other people's houses (I've packed away my own consoles) with other people.

Aylaine:
-snip-

I'll let you know when the first case of food poisoning comes in ;)

I'm finding it easy to forget that the habit won't occur again like a flip of a switch. Thanks for the reminder and advice Aylaine.

Looking back on it, things would be getting a bit silly if you can't casually enjoy a game with friends. What's the opposite. I'll just sit at stare at this corner till you're done playing...Yeah...

the darknees abyss:
-snip-

Well I did ask about this on the advice section on a gaming website, hoping it would be a place people could relate to what I ask being gamers. Otherwise I think it would seems a pretty lame thing to get help for outside of a gaming community. Not like pride could get in the way of that lol

Also although I am only a short way into not playing any games, I'm finding it really pretty easy, the main times I think of games it's because I realise I am not thinking of games. Hope that makes enough sense.

Lisadagz's post (the first paragraph) summed it up well imo.

lisadagz:
-snip-

Your first paragraph really seems to have hit the nail spot on in my mind. As I have only just started trying to cease my gaming habit, I still have some worry to whether it may rekindle. However so far it has been really easy to stop. The temptation hasn't been there.

Guess it's pessimism that makes me think that some how a casual game will turn me into a full blown waster.

When the Nintendo 64 was on its way out I made a decision to quit gamming because it was expensive and I didn't want to be a dork and wanted to get a life.

I got a new hobby with music and soon became an avid metaller. So I don't know; maybe when something is taken out another will soon replace it.

I played very few games and haven't bought a console since the fifth generation. Instead, casual PC gaming has been my way.

I think this is a period of readjustment and should be organically embraced. Maybe you're bored of it all? See it as a waste of time? Want to do something different as a person? I don't know you, but I wish you the best of luck.

Throw your wallet out the wall when you think of buying a game on steam. Play the games currently available in your library. Get bored fast.

Before thinking of buying another game, throw your wallet out the window again. You now know how to throw stuff. Invest in a physical activity that requires throwing.

There's no real reason to quit gaming completely. In fact, if you try and just stop gaming, you're going to struggle to fill the time that you would've spent gaming with something else, and probably fail. By all means reduce how much time you spend gaming, but have a good reason why, and something to replace that time with if you want to actually succeed.

smithy_2045:
There's no real reason to quit gaming completely. In fact, if you try and just stop gaming, you're going to struggle to fill the time that you would've spent gaming with something else, and probably fail. By all means reduce how much time you spend gaming, but have a good reason why, and something to replace that time with if you want to actually succeed.

I believe that depends on how much he games, honestly. :)

Beat14:

Aylaine:
-snip-

I'll let you know when the first case of food poisoning comes in ;)

I'm finding it easy to forget that the habit won't occur again like a flip of a switch. Thanks for the reminder and advice Aylaine.

Looking back on it, things would be getting a bit silly if you can't casually enjoy a game with friends. What's the opposite. I'll just sit at stare at this corner till you're done playing...Yeah...

Exactly. No one wants to be the person who is down or won't participate with the rest of the gang in some multiplayer gaming! At least, not without a good reason. You are most welcome! :D

Aylaine:

smithy_2045:

While that is true, it's not unreasonable to assume that someone who is considering quitting gaming does a fair bit of it.

smithy_2045:

Aylaine:

smithy_2045:

While that is true, it's not unreasonable to assume that someone who is considering quitting gaming does a fair bit of it.

Definitely. I also agree for the most part that quitting gaming completely isn't usually the best idea. In reality, it's all about balance. Then again, some people may need to go the all or nothing route if their addiction is really strong. :/

I game when I have the time, otherwise, I don't.

It is not hard to stop gaming, in fact, it's easy, I haven't touched my 360 in months and I play my Vita and 3DS in my spare time, if you game on the PC, cancel your steam account, stop buying games.

But you are confusing, you want something to do, just play games, why do you wanna quit? Nothing wrong with playing a few games with friends man!

Why do you ban gaming for yourself so much?

Beat14:
snip

Well, first of all, I managed to successfully quit gaming just over a year ago... I miss it sometimes but most of the time I'm happy with the decision.

As for how strict... I went cold Turkey. I took a pair of scissors and cut all my favourite disks in half, if my girlfriend hadn't stopped me, I would have gotten through them all.

The first month was suprisingly freeing but every now and then I had a look at a free online games site.

After 2 months it started really nagging at me, work picked up, I was having relationship problems and I wanted to go back in, but every time I wanted to play a game, I decided to learn something instead, this became my game. Mostly it was trying to maintain language skills but then it was geography, history, biology... you name it.

I sometimes feel that learning became my addiction but I find that I can go a long time without doing so now. So I guess what I'm trying to say in a convuluted way is throw your cravings and energy at something you think is more useful. I'm not sure how old you are, so whatever is useful to you really is your call.

If you have good friends, a partner, kids, try doing various non-video game related activities with them, though judging by the way your speaking I would think you are porbably still a student, in which case I would suggest making flash cards for your subject/s and make a game out of remembering the things you need to know... It doesn't have to be school related though.

Don't let gaming or school get in the way of your education and experience. Live life, you'll be surprised what it has to offer.

Basically, take up a hobby that is more worthwhile... but don't be afraid to load up your favourite games every now and then so long as it isn't intefering with other more important things.

Hope this helps.

darkfox85:
-snip-

You may not know me, but it certainly sounds like you know what I'm going through.

Thanks, I am hoping/expecting something to replace my time. Take you a long to adjust?

Don't wish people good luck! Wish them success xD

Tony:
-snip-

Problem was I got tired of throwing my wallet out the window and decided to invest in Wii games involving the throwing motion, pro at them all, till boredom got in. Now I settle for Movie licensed games...

Honestly though I wish I had heard what you said earlier. Bet steam sales would still annihilate my wallet.

Beat14:

darkfox85:
-snip-

You may not know me, but it certainly sounds like you know what I'm going through.

Thanks, I am hoping/expecting something to replace my time. Take you a long to adjust?

Don't wish people good luck! Wish them success xD

Hmmm.
I never saw it as adjustment tbh. It was just something I fell in and out of. So no. Not hard at all. And it wasn't hard because I knew my heart just wasn't in it anymore. The reasons why don't matter - cash, boredom, social stigma, whatever. The keyword is "heart" and like I said back in that other post "organic."

As for a replacement. Meh. Something always comes along. Music, films, books, art, meth addiction. Just see where life takes you. I found heavy metal, politics, writing, rolling tobacco etc. There's no secret, shit just happens and replacements (or, "success") is guaranteed.

And don't think it's the ultimate end of gaming. You can come back if you want. Hell, I'm back to a certain degree. Hence why I'm on this blooming site in the first place. No worries dude!

Aylaine:

smithy_2045:

Aylaine:

Definitely. I also agree for the most part that quitting gaming completely isn't usually the best idea. In reality, it's all about balance. Then again, some people may need to go the all or nothing route if their addiction is really strong. :/

Smithy you assume correctly in my case that someone who is considering quitting gaming does a fair bit of it. Or at least did. However I am finding it pretty easy to stop so far, early days though so I have an open mind to that changing.

I do think my addiction was/is strong, as I have tried twice before. I gave away all my tf2 hats/items. That might sound small, but to me at the time, oh boy! It was madness. So I feel it is best for me to cut it off as completely as I can, bar the very odd social gaming session that will no doubt occur. Also atm my steam account in still rated a 10, and that's with a week of no gaming...

TizzytheTormentor:
-snip-

I see where you're coming from, as everyone has down time, so why not game then?

My gaming has nearly always reached out of that downtime as I just want to continue playing. So I thought my best move would be to stop all together in normal day life. That way I avoid running the risk of wasting away as much time as I can get away with. I don't know if that sounds silly, but it's the best way I can put it.

I lack your self control. Wonder what the traits are for an Addictive personality, to Wikipedia!

Beldaros:
-snip-

I was thinking it might get harder to resist, thanks for letting telling me about the first 3 months. Pretty bold to go and cut the disks in half. I'm not sure I would have been able to if I could have, I'm not able to seeing as most of my purchases have been digital. Might let a friend change the password on the account as it's not use to me + stops me going back.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can imagine learning something new to be a good move. Clear sense of progression and long term. Slow burn, if you get me.

Thanks

darkfox85:
-snip-

Guess you have to have your heart in it or you're not going to go far (I feel like I'm quoting some cheesy American Rock music). Point remains though.

I'm not going to say my feelings towards gaming changed over night, but I did wake up one morning and delete every game I could find on my Harddrive. I was expecting it to be a tough transition initially, but it's going fine atm. Not so sure how the month will go though.

The thing that has come across me for the moment is ZZtop and as a extension of that playing Blues.

How is that not beautiful!

Well ok it isn't exactly uplifting, but meh.

Quitting gaming is completely stupid.
Why would you want to do that in the first place?
Now, cutting back on something you do too much is fine. But quitting an entire form of media is stupid.

Moderated:
Quitting gaming is completely stupid.
Why would you want to do that in the first place?
Now, cutting back on something you do too much is fine. But quitting an entire form of media is stupid.

Why? Gaming has no gain for me and I don't want it too, just time wasting. Sure I will waste time another way, but so far those aren't proving to become an addiction. I have things I want to do, I am going to try and do them.

I don't understand why you say it's dumb to cut out an entire form of media, when that form of media is gaming. If it was something like reading a newspaper, or TV I would understand.

The only thing I feel I'm losing out on are the stories and story telling process. Even then it's not a deal breaker.

Weird you never hear about anyone saying they're going to quit books or movies or tv series. Guess it's because it's the newest media.

danon:
Weird you never hear about anyone saying they're going to quit books or movies or tv series. Guess it's because it's the newest media.

I think I would struggle to find people who had "quit" such things. I don't agree with you saying it's because it's the newest media. I think most people who quit gaming are doing so because they have a problem with it eating up way too much time.

I reckon that books are the most "purposeful" out of the examples you gave, if you follow. Tv series/movies sure aren't in general.

Weird you hear people saying they quit gaming. Guess it's because gaming is the least productive out of all those and tends to be the one that ends up using the most time.

Please don't tell me people can sit and watch Tv series/films for more than 100 hours in a fortnight. Each to their own, I struggle to sit still whilst watching anything...

I'm one of those people who have quit TV, mainly because I look back on my childhood where the tv was always on. Though I read, wrote, played games and did more things than just tv, it was the realization of how much of my life I have wasted seeing commercials made me just quit tv. I do watch two programs a week which I get via itunes so sans commercials. It really isn't me putting a limit on shows; I just that don't have any interest in more than a couple. (currently breaking bad and walking dead). I have a tv that can't even get local channels for my consoles.

I also don't play games as much as I did growing up, but that is merely due to loss of interest. Every couple months, I might spend an entire weekend gaming and then lose interest after that point.

If you try stopping something cold turkey that you like, then odds are you will end on binging said thing you are avoiding (me with soda...) Your life revolves around avoiding said thing. The best way is to just replace one compulsion with a healthier one that you like.

sidenote: It always annoys me when significant others of gamers want the gamers to quit so they can have "quality" tv time together everyday for many hours -_-.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked