Blood in the Trunk, Cleaning Help.

Update is here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/538.394488-Blood-in-the-Trunk-Cleaning-Help#16056638

Yesterday night I acquired some fresh venison from a farm (already dressed, quartered, bagged, and in a box.) While boarding the box in my trunk, a bag of the delicious bambi slipped out and drained some watered down blood into the carpet.

It's just watered down deer blood I'm dealing with here. No guts or anything.

When it initially happened, I used a towel and some cold water to blot it up as best I could, and I put a large garbage bag around the box to prevent further escapes while driving. The deer is now home and in the freezer.

Any tips in removing blood and dead deer smell? The stain is the least of my worries, it's the dead animal reek that'll plague me - especially in warmer weather - if I don't do something about it today.

Wink wink deer... right wink.

Auto carpet cleaner from your local auto parts store, scrubbing and blotting, the sooner the better. You could probably manage to get some cheaper stuff from a normal store that does the same stuff. If that doesn't work get a steam cleaner and the good product they sell, btw the cleaner they use doesn't go very far so if your trying to get a lot of use out of your rental I'd say get a bigger bottle of the carpet cleaner they sell with it.

I have a shop vac that can suck up water. So I'll use that instead of wasting my money renting. Don't know about any good carpet cleaners that work well with blood, though. Suggestions are welcome. The shop vac is 1980's old, and doesn't come with that stuff.

Going to have to wait until morning to clean it sadly. It's below freezing outside and the idea of standing with my back to the wind and working with water does not enthuse me like it should.

Get a foaming carpet cleaner and do a couple of applications. Then leave baking soda on the stain overnight and suck it up in the morning. Also salt works wonders.

See: Pulp Fiction.

Ammonia (1 tablespoon:1 cup cold water) should get it. sponge on, blot off, leave to air dry, vacuum. Will also get rid of the smell. How you then get rid of the ammonia smell, I don't know(!!)

I have been using a commercial cleaner and a towel I don't care about to blot it. My car now smells like soap, with subtle hints of game. Tonight I will use baking soda and suck it up in the morning. Then I'll cold water and suck it up with the shop vac tomorrow.

Anything acidic I suppose would do, I have heard about vinegar and diet coke being rather effective. Of course you would need to shop vac them up right away lest your trunk start to smell of vinegar.

Quaidis:
I have a shop vac that can suck up water. So I'll use that instead of wasting my money renting. Don't know about any good carpet cleaners that work well with blood, though. Suggestions are welcome. The shop vac is 1980's old, and doesn't come with that stuff.

Going to have to wait until morning to clean it sadly. It's below freezing outside and the idea of standing with my back to the wind and working with water does not enthuse me like it should.

Just to be clear the commercial steam cleaners aren't just a shop vac with some water they produce excess amount of heat with deep cleaning rug mixtures. You don't have the rug mixtures it does less than half o what you'd expect. If you can get it to work with baking soda go for it, but shop vac != steam cleaner.

Like I said steam cleaner last resort use commercial carpet cleaner first, then if that doesn't work steam cleaner with the commercial carpet cleaner they offer to put in the machine. As someone that's used a steam cleaner I wish It was easy enough to put down some baking soda and warm water while vacuuming it up. Puke doesn't come up that easy so I'm sure blood doesn't.

Also use the quote button at the top right of every post to inform someone your talking to them otherwise no one can raise a rebuttal to what your saying in enough time to stop your from wasting your time/money. Not to say your wasting your time/money but your posting in this forum for a reason and I assume it's for quick and reasonable answers which you won't get from people that lurk this forum irregularly like myself.

renegade7:
Anything acidic I suppose would do, I have heard about vinegar and diet coke being rather effective. Of course you would need to shop vac them up right away lest your trunk start to smell of vinegar.

The problem with acidic stuff is whether it will discolor(when not brand name) or if it will actually work. For your trunk it's not cotton you can't throw it in the wash, you might be able to get it out with something acidic but relatively something basic works better for non hard services since they don't dye. Vinegar without color is more for clothes btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaning_agent

But not bleach! Unless you have a white carpet and don't care about a small amount of discoloration which will happen almost no matter what if you use bleach.

I tried suggestions given, salt doing the best results, and for a second there I thought the smell was gone. Right up until I left the car alone for two days in the garage. Mind you, it wasn't nearly as bad before, it just had that hints of soapy game reek about it.

Now the good news is that I found a place not to far away that can steam clean the trunk for me, only charging me a toe and a finger because they don't have to clean the entire car. This is a good thing, because in 6 months I need to drive the thing for two days straight in some abysmal heat, and I don't want to have my car smelling like I strangled a gazelle back there with a skunk up its ass.

dmase:

Also use the quote button at the top right of every post to inform someone your talking to them otherwise no one can raise a rebuttal to what your saying in enough time to stop your from wasting your time/money. Not to say your wasting your time/money but your posting in this forum for a reason and I assume it's for quick and reasonable answers which you won't get from people that lurk this forum irregularly like myself.

Thank you for your advice on the magic quote button. I have found myself using it in the past, especially in game threads I create, and sometimes as a tool to keep a thread alive. My replies were to everyone involved in the case of this thread, and if someone was invested enough in trying to help I had the full assumption that they were going to check back out of curiosity anyway to read what has been advised by others, or to see if the thread owner (me in this case) has given updates. But no, really, thank you to taking out the time to write that up.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked