What would be the ideal Power Supply Unit for this build?

--------------------PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING--------------------
----------------------------------------------------Thank You-----------------------------------------------------

OK, now that we got that out of the way, yes, it is me. That guy who continues to ask for help with computers then procrastinates purchasing it until it is already outdated.

So for my next question: What would be the ideal PSU for this build?

COOLER MASTER RC-120A
ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel H61
GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Western Digital WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

+External HDD & CD/DVD drive

Details: What the purpose of this build is for is to be a slave in a renderfarm for 3D animations but at the same time an easy to transport desktop workstation for basic 3D modeling, animation, and painting as evident by the low end videocard and non hyper threaded CPU. While hyperthreading would indeed benefit the rendering speed the price point for buying multiples of this build do not justify it. I will be buying two, one with the videocard and one with onboard video only, just so I can install stuff. So what PSU would best benefit the one with the videocard and the one without as they would both have different power draws?

I once went with a high-end desktop replacement laptop a couple years ago and lol-and-behold heat was the death of it in addition to the ghastly cost. An M-ITX PC though far more clunky does away with the heat problems and offers a good 2-4 times more power-per-buck if you ask me.

Lastly I tried to use Thermaltake's website to determine the total power draw for this PC however it came to the conclusion of 250 watts. That feels way too low, I probably goofed somewhere along the way so in the presence of some more tech savvy folk, what would be the ideal PSU for the stated build build, one with the video card and one without.

CAPTCHA: sky's the limit - I thought the Sky Fell

250 Watts might be accurate, as the Ivy Bridge i5s only draw 77 watts and the 650Ti is a pretty low powered card. That said, I would not recommend only going for a 300 Watt unit. You always need to give yourself some headroom in case he wants to get a better video card, or wants to add more devices in the future.

A good quality 400 Watt power supply is sufficient for that build if he doesn't want a higher end graphics card. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are among the better brands for power supplies.

Your computer will only draw the power it needs and nothing more, so you don't need to worry about getting a different power supply for the build with integrated graphics. As long as the PSU can deliver enough power for the system, it will work either way.

Personally, I'd get a 450W PSU, gives you a little upgrade room.

Ivy bidge i5 at 90% capacity is about 90W's.
GTX650's are a bit weightier at around 150-200W's at 90% capacity.
Add 25W's for HDD, 10W's for peripherals, 5W's per RAM stick, 5W's per 120mm fan and 30W for optical drive, all with 20% upper power margins.

Lower-Upper margin estimates: 290-370W's consumption.

I'd get a 450W PSU for that system which gives you plenty of headroom. If you plan on SLI/Crossfire in the future, get a 600W. I believe that GFX card recommends 450W PSU anyway, so there ya' go.

Ivy i5s have a TDP of 77 Watts, you aren't going to hit 90 watts unless you overclock it, which you can't do with a non k version and an H61 board. (Make sure that H61 board ships with a BIOS revision that supports Ivy Bridge CPUs H77 and B75 are lower end chipsets that natively support Ivy Bridge). The 650Ti only has one 6 pin auxilliary connector, it won't use more than 150 watts. It actually uses less than that, the 650Ti's maximum power draw is actually 110 watts. 150 to 200 Watts is the power draw of the 660 or 660Ti.

A good 400 watt is fine, but you can go for something beefier if you want to.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked