Scared To Go Back Into My Career Field

I recently left my job in my career field that I went to collage for. I know some of you might think I'm crazy but the events that happened at work just seemed to force my hand at leaving.

I just graduated this summer and my internship at collage turned into a job. I was very happy and excited that it turned into a job so I gave them a resume and had my official interview. Then they hired me. Things started off great and I was doing things in my field. I was also getting the hang of the job but then things took a turn for the worst. They started giving me more clients to handle, also be a sales person/coder/customer service and designer. What started off as a dream job soon turned into a night mare. It was getting so bad it started to affect me at home and also my health. I was even at points where I was skipping my breaks and lunches just to keep working, even staying late and trying to catch up. My boyfriend was actually the one to tell me to put my two weeks in because I wasn't being my normal happy self. I stop smiling and laughing and would sit on the couch just looking lost, then get up and go to bed.
It's been a few months and I've gotten two jobs to keep the money coming in but, I'm scared to try my career field again. I know it was a bad start to entering into my career field but part of me just worries about ending up in a place like that again. Also every once and a while I'll think about that job again and about how I couldn't get the job done. I feel like a failure, that I let a lot of people down because I couldn't handle everything. I would really just love to make peace with everything and go back to finding a job in my field, but something keeps holding me back.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me, thank you.

Workload stress seems to be the norm at many places these days. As a saying here in Slovenia goes, "On the desk in the accounting office table, everything adds up perfectly." The management often don't see the problems because they're not "in touch" with the employees. Incidentally, situations like this are one of the reasons for my burning-with-an-all-consuming-passion hatred for the expression "human resources."

What can I say, you're fortunate you found other jobs. And also, frankly told, just because you went to college for something you shouldn't feel restricted to that field and consider it a failure if you don't get a job in it. I mean, I studied physics myself, and I work in TV broadcasting, never thought that's happen. Can get rather stressful too (had a rather iffy day quite recently), but what can I say, you keep doing the parts of you job you hate so that you get to do the parts you like, or something.

Jinxzy:
I really appreciate any help anyone can give me, thank you.

Think of it this way - if you weren't in this field, what else would you like to do? If you can't think of anything (realistic) that you'd prefer, then you might as well stick with the same field.

One bad workplace shouldn't be enough to put you off what you want to do.

Jinxzy:
Snip

I know your frightened, but give it another try. I had a horror story of my own after collage and I ended up quitting that job in favor of a different one. The one I have now is MUCH better, It's a lot of work, but I feel appreciated for the work I do.

If you get so much work that you're piling on overwhelming hours, you could also try talking to your boss (it's an awkward conversation, but it's better them knowing you have a problem). If they value you as an employee, they should be more understanding. If they aren't, then look elsewhere (silently), as soon as you get a job someplace else, wave goodbye to those who took advantage of you.

Eclipse Dragon:

If you get so much work that you're piling on overwhelming hours, you could also try talking to your boss (it's an awkward conversation, but it's better them knowing you have a problem). If they value you as an employee, they should be more understanding. If they aren't, then look elsewhere (silently), as soon as you get a job someplace else, wave goodbye to those who took advantage of you.

I tried doing that but he was more upset for me not taking my breaks then staying the average of 2hrs after work. He also said that the other designer would help out but they're not going to like me for needing help. That no one in the office likes to help with other peoples work. After that conversation, a few days later they written me up for insubordination for not getting my work done and not being aggressive with clients. After I had that happen I put my two weeks in and left as quick as I could.

I just want to find a decent designer job thats not going to throw all the stuff the other job threw at me in a month.

Your dream job is hardly a dream job if it cost you your health and your happiness. However it may have just been an issue at that particular workplace. So I say give it another go, but if you find yourself in the same position as before then don't hesitate to leave once again.

Was it the actual content of the job that put you off, or was it the way work was handed out and the management? If the latter: find a better company to work for.

(Also, I hope you don't spell college as "collage" on your CV...)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked