getting a graphics card for Xmas

im getting a graphics card for Xmas and i dont have a clue about anything. can someone give me a hand?

What's your budget and what do you have now?

thekillerseat:
im getting a graphics card for Xmas and i dont have a clue about anything. can someone give me a hand?

My question is stolen by ResonanceSD...

ResonanceSD:
What's your budget and what do you have now?

If you want some suggestions, go onto Passmark.com and look around in Benchmarks > Video Cards. That should help you decide a bit.

My personal recommendation is either the Nvidia GTX 480 or the AMD HD Radeon 7850. I put both as I don't know what brand you prefer. I don't find any difference between the two brands, but some people do, so I put both to give you a choice in the matter. :-)

Hope I helped, and Merry (early) Christmas!

thesilentman:
My personal recommendation is either the Nvidia GTX 480 or the AMD HD Radeon 7850.

Why do you keep recommending the 480? There are better performing cards for a similar price point that produce less heat and draw less power. The 480 is outdated, there's no need to recommend it.

As for the OP, what Resonance said. Need to know your budget and current specs.

Hazy992:

thesilentman:
My personal recommendation is either the Nvidia GTX 480 or the AMD HD Radeon 7850.

Why do you keep recommending the 480? There are better performing cards for a similar price point that produce less heat and draw less power. The 480 is outdated, there's no need to recommend it.

As for the OP, what Resonance said. Need to know your budget and current specs.

I don't keep up with NVidia GPUs that much. I guess that I'll start by keeping a closer eye on Passmark.

thesilentman:

Why would you recommend a 480? That's two generations old.

And comparing it to a 7000 series AMD isn't even remotely accurate.

"Little Timmy, would you like a Fiat Punto or a Lamborghini for Christmas"?

Without having any idea of your budget, OP, I'm saying you should get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500268

If I had an idea of what you had now and what your budget is, my recommendation would probably suit you better.

Around the $200 mark: Radeon HD 7870 or 7850, GTX 660 or 660ti. Above that, look at the 670 and maybe 7950. Top of the line: gtx 680 and radeon hd 7970. Unless you wanna go dual core graphics for the $1000: GTX 690 and HD 7990 (http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/AX7990%206GBD5-A2DHJ#ComparePrices)

budget is a around a 100 euros and my computers only a year old

I don't think you'll get very far on 100 euros. Maybe you should look at some older cards. You can't even get a GTX 560 ti for that. Although that shouldn't matter much if you don't care about having the most optimal settings possible.

Also, how old you computer is isn't really all that helpful. Sure, if it was something like 7 years old that would be a problem, but telling us it's only a year old doesn't give us any information about the specs.

What is your processor? dual core? quad core? intel?
How much RAM do you have?
What's your power source like?

A quick google search should get you started on how to find these things out. I'm assuming you didn't build it yourself?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked