Any card-throwing Escapists out there?

So, today I've started taking an interest in the art of card throwing. Basically, throwing your standard playing cards, trying to get the best combination of speed and spin possible to make the cards penetrate or slice into different substances. I think it's really fun and something I can see myself seriously getting into.

My question is this: does anybody perhaps have some experience in this topic and could give me some basic pointers? And if not, do you know of any good resources to learn about card-throwing from?

Thanks in advance, everyone! :D

I refuse to believe this is a thing.

Now, let me stop you there before you rage. I mean as in, I refuse to believe this started as a genuine trick, an cirus art simliar to plate spinning.

Let's face it...somebody just wanted to be gambit.

Still, all the best luck to you.

Don't hurt me...

Doclector:

You can't hide from the truth, Doc! The first record of card throwing as part of a magic show dates over 200 years back ;)

Ljs1121:
[...]
My question is this: does anybody perhaps have some experience in this topic and could give me some basic pointers? And if not, do you know of any good resources to learn about card-throwing from?
Thanks in advance, everyone! :D

So you really are a ninja turtle, Raph! Or at least you're becoming one :-p
I found this site which, among other things, tells you to sufficiently train your wrist before you start throwing cards around.
Oh, there's also a magician who composed an arcane tome of power a now out-of-print book called "Cards as Weapons".

This actually sounds pretty fun to me, I might even consider starting this myself :D

Sewa_Yunga:

Doclector:

You can't hide from the truth, Doc! The first record of card throwing as part of a magic show dates over 200 years back ;)

Well, shit. Guess it was a thing. In my defence, this was initially posted in off topic, and thus, more open to this kind of joking.

Gotta wonder why it isn't in more circuses...I'd pay to see someone cut a lemon in half with an ace of spades.

Especially if they were in full gambit cosplay.

Best of luck to both of you, and I repeat, please don't send your cards to cut my balls off.

Doclector:

As you wish. I'll be aiming for your willy then :-p

Yes.

Way back when I had a book on sleight-of-hand magic tricks and targeted card-throwing was one of the tricks it covered.

I can only offer a few pointers--it's been years.

1. You want to use a deck of cards with FLAT cards. New decks are best. Older cards tend to be curved and that effects their trajectory (or something) and ruins your very ability to hit what you aim for.

2. Don't grip the card like you would a hammer. You need a firm but easy grip.

3. Launch the card flat. Like firing an arrow from a bow how you launch a card depends entirely upon your technique.

4. Practice is the key. Period. If you want to develop accurate throwing skills you can't practice for ten to fifteen minutes and expect to be Captain America. You didn't learn to tie your shoe laces after just a few tries and it didn't become so ingrained that you can tie your shoes without thinking about it no matter what your state of mind is except by DOING IT over and over and over again. Practice-practice-practice!!!

5. See Rule 4.

Have fun! :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked