Need assistance with a computer building roadblock

So recently I bought a bunch of computer parts and my friend is helping me put it together. At this point I'm almost done all I have to do is attach the power supply to the motherboard. One problem though. The manual is no help on this, there isn't any indication as to where the PCI-E cords are hooked into the motherboard and I can't find the answer on the net. So maybe you guys could lend me a hand? I'd be so grateful.

My Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 Plus Bronze PSU, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 needs to connect to my MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-MSI-_-13130653

Any help would be great. I'm pretty sure that's what he asked me to look for anyway. I'm so bad with this stuff. Why I ever thought this was a smart idea I'll never know.

There should be a large 24 pin cable for the motherboard power and I believe an 8 pin cable for your CPU's power. If you look on the picture gallery on Newegg it should tell you where they plug into, but you can't miss them.

EDIT: PCI-E cable? Those go straight into the graphics card don't they?

Hazy992:
There should be a large 24 pin cable for the motherboard power and I believe an 8 pin cable for your CPU's power. If you look on the picture gallery on Newegg it should tell you where they plug into, but you can't miss them.

First off, thanks. Secondly thats what I keep reading but he was saying something about it being the cords for the power to connect to the motherboard I don't know. I just got home from work he was trying to tell me all this stuff and then he left real fast. so not sure really now lol. perhaps i made this thread a bit to quickly.

Kuilui:

Hazy992:

First off, thanks. Secondly thats what I keep reading but he was saying something about it being the cords for the power to connect to the motherboard I don't know. I just got home from work he was trying to tell me all this stuff and then he left real fast. so not sure really now lol. perhaps i made this thread a bit to quickly.

Well the 24 pin cable is the one for the motherboard's power. Looks something like this:

I'd double check with him though just to see what he meant.

Yeah I have that setup properly. But he was shoving the PCI-E cords into my face saying I needed to attach them to the motherboard and he had no idea where they went. He was in a rush so perhaps he didn't realize they were meant for the graphics card? I can't find a place to hook them into the graphics card though. So I'm a bit lost at the moment. I'm getting some additional help with the computer tmrw so perhaps i'll just wait.

EDIT: OH and forgot to mention. The friend helping me was really impressed with the stuff you suggested, he kept going on and on about the parts, so thanks again :).

Kuilui:
Yeah I have that setup properly. But he was shoving the PCI-E cords into my face saying I needed to attach them to the motherboard and he had no idea where they went. He was in a rush so perhaps he didn't realize they were meant for the graphics card? I can't find a place to hook them into the graphics card though. So I'm a bit lost at the moment. I'm getting some additional help with the computer tmrw so perhaps i'll just wait.

They're usually on the side or the top of the graphics cards. Some of them have one connection but the more power hungry ones have two, and they're usually 6 pin or 8 pin. Some lower end cards don't have them as they draw enough power from the motherboard.

Kuilui:
EDIT: OH and forgot to mention. The friend helping me was really impressed with the stuff you suggested, he kept going on and on about the parts, so thanks again :).

No problem, always happy to help :)

Also, I never asked; what did you end up getting in the end? Did you go for the i5 or the i3? What graphics card did you get?

Hazy992:
Also, I never asked; what did you end up getting in the end? Did you go for the i5 or the i3? What graphics card did you get?

I ended up getting the I5 and I got the Radeon HD 7770. Ill probably upgrade the graphics card eventually but you can't really upgrade a motherboard. So I just went big on that, last me longer that way.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked