Looking for a competent gaming laptop

Dear Escapist!

I am currently looking for a competent laptop - now I know some people think that "gaming" and "laptop" are two words that don't suit together well and I would tend to agree, most gaming laptops run too hot, have ridiculous power consumption for it to even be remotely portable and most would argue that they are overpriced.

I wholeheartedly agree with all those above statements but here's the deal - I need a powerful laptop with a competent CPU, RAM and GPU. This is because I intend to use it for work/school where I need access to specific programs that render molecules, amino acids and entire proteins in 3D. I also require Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom editing since I use a DSLR camera at work.

Unfortunately, the only laptops that suit my needs seem to be the kind of laptops that are aimed at gamers - hence gamer laptop seems to be my only suitable choice.

Here are the requirements I need:
Core i5/Core i7 Processor or equivalent
Minimum 4GB of RAM, preferrably 6 or 8GB
650M or GTX660 VideoCard or Equivalent
Not larger than 15.6"

What I don't want:
Windows 8
Apple

This laptop will be my secondary computer next to my desktop workstation I already have.

My budget is 1'100€

The two laptops I have been generally looking at are these two: this one and this one.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Here's a place I've been looking at for awhile:

www.sagernotebook.com

They let you customize your builds, and they have everything you listed up there as options.

Only thing is you do have to order online from them, but some of their computers come with free shipping.

They have the same GPU but the CPU in the MSI is slightly better.

I'd go with the MSI personally.

TakeyB0y2:

They let you customize your builds, and they have everything you listed up there as options.
Only thing is you do have to order online from them, but some of their computers come with free shipping.

As much as I appreciate your suggestion - sites with customizable laptops is something I don't favour much.
If I wanted a custom rig like that I'd already would have considered DELL or Alienware since they pretty much offer the same thing.

The thing is I want a laptop from a physical store and considering the fact that that MSI GE60 costs about $50 more in the store than online (excl. shipping) makes it a tolerable price.

I also have my doubts about it being any cheaper regarding performance/$$$

I appreciate the advice though!

CyberAkuma:
I wholeheartedly agree with all those above statements but here's the deal - I need a powerful laptop with a competent CPU, RAM and GPU. This is because I intend to use it for work/school where I need access to specific programs that render molecules, amino acids and entire proteins in 3D. I also require Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom editing since I use a DSLR camera at work.

Unfortunately, the only laptops that suit my needs seem to be the kind of laptops that are aimed at gamers - hence gamer laptop seems to be my only suitable choice.

I dunno if you actually went to the Sager site recommended to you or not but they have 3 workstation laptop models

CyberAkuma:
-snip-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152369

My friend has this and it is awesome, a tad bigger than 15" but honestly a good gaming rig isn't going to be smaller.

Its basically a class up from one of your choices.

It's worth the money, I plan on getting one as soon as I save up a bit.

Hope this help!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked